Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2011, 11:29 AM   #1

Pentax rear converter 1,4x

I have both tele converters for the 645-system; 1,4x and 2x.
1,4x is intended to use with the 300/4 lens. The manual says, however, that it can be used also with e.g. 120/4 macro and 200/4. I have these lenses but used together with the 1,4 converter they can not be focused to infinity. Same for FA150/2,8. I have seen in other forums that other users have no problem with this. Can it really be a problem with my converter? There is no adjustment to be made. The group of lenses is mounted and thats it! What is the problem. Anyone?
The 2x converter works with all lenses.
Rgds.
Anders

11-04-2011, 10:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would say there is something wrong with the converter. You should be able to focus at infinity.
11-10-2011, 09:52 AM   #3

What gives you the belief that the 1.4 was only intended for the 300mm and has a generic infinity focus flaw with other lenses? Something you have been told by a knowledgeable P645 expert or someone who just think he knows?

I don't have a converter but I have been in conversation with a leading UK dealer in Pentax cameras about the converter and at no point did he say that it would only function with certain lenses.

I'd be amazed if Pentax constructed the converters to work only with cetain lenses and if this was the case then Pentax and dealers would be required to make this clear. Indeed Pentax as you say claims that it can be used with other lenses

Like Yamanobori I suspect that there is a problem with the converter.

Where and when was it obtained? You might have a case for restitution or repair paid for by the seller

asahijock
11-12-2011, 12:27 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It's possible there is more than one 1.4x converter, but the one I have states clearly on the converter itself "FOR 1:4 300mm ED(IF)". So that's probably where his belief that it's not for all lenses comes from.

It sticks into the lens a little bit, and is therefore physically impossible to mount on many lenses. It works fine on the FA200 and A120 macro for me, with correct infinity focus. (Or a bit beyond on the 200 actually, but that's true with the naked lens as well.) I doubt there is any problem using it on any lens where it fits. (Assuming it isn't defective that is, as the OPs converter appears to be.)

11-18-2011, 12:51 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by drougge Quote
It's possible there is more than one 1.4x converter, but the one I have states clearly on the converter itself "FOR 1:4 300mm ED(IF)". So that's probably where his belief that it's not for all lenses comes from.

It sticks into the lens a little bit, and is therefore physically impossible to mount on many lenses. It works fine on the FA200 and A120 macro for me, with correct infinity focus. (Or a bit beyond on the 200 actually, but that's true with the naked lens as well.) I doubt there is any problem using it on any lens where it fits. (Assuming it isn't defective that is, as the OPs converter appears to be.)
I agree: I recently bought a brand new old stock 1.4 X converter. It clearly states in the instruction book that it was designed for the 300mm lens but can also be used with 120 macro and 200, both of which I have. No other lenses are listed as being useable.
Dave