Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2011, 10:16 AM   #1

Pentax 67 TTL prism meter window not visible

Hi,

I can't see the little white window with the match needle in the viewfinder of my P67's TTL metering prism anymore. It was previously working fine (this behavior started following a spill my whole kit took off of the kitchen counter at the hands of a 2-year-old ). It's not visibly damaged (no dents) and I'm now trying to use it with a different, newer body.

If I haven't used it in awhile, and I un-mount/re-mount everything in the correct order (as according to the manual) I can see the window and the meter will work normally for like 1 or 2 shots but then mysteriously disappears and I can't see the meter window whether the meter's mounted on the body or not. I imagine it's just plain "busted" (technical term) but thought I would see if anyone had seen this before. I've done the usual: thoroughly cleaned the contacts on the body/prism and made sure my body's aperture coupling chain isn't broken, etc.

Thanks,
--Geoff

11-04-2011, 07:32 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
Sounds like it needs a trip to your local camera repairer for a quote.

Else you will have to use a hand held meter.
11-04-2011, 10:22 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks Dark_Mist, I figured as much. I have the waist-level finder as well and am fine with using a handheld meter until I find out what's up with the TTL. Will report back...
11-07-2011, 07:11 PM   #4

I've had a similar experience with the TTL viewfinder prism for my 6x7, but after messing with it found out that some parts had become detached - when I turned the camera to a certain angle the window would appear to slide back into place, and there is a sound of it sliding. Perhaps it is not the remounting that fixes it, bit that at the right angle the parts slide back into place.

11-07-2011, 07:46 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks gus, good to know I'm not the only one to ever experience this. I just gave it a gentle shake at diff. angles but no luck. I'm thinking of replacing it with another (used in good condition) and then sending this one off for diagnosis/repair.

Thanks,
--Geoff
11-15-2011, 02:59 AM   #6
Giveaway winner!

I'm late to chime in...

The TLL has two mirrors and a small wedge prism to bring the image of the needle to the eyepiece. The glue must have finally dried out completely. The repair is to correctly locate the prism again and glue it into place. If you send it off for repairs, make sure they check it for correct alignment and angle so you can use it and they not just throw some glue and close it up. If you are looking to DIY it, then you will need to have a few tools ready before you venture inside the TTL prism.

Last edited by MysteryOnion; 11-15-2011 at 03:11 AM.
11-15-2011, 07:32 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks MysteryOnion -- sounds like a job for Mr. Hendrickson... I decided to get a non-TTL prism to go along with this one (and for times when I want 100% coverage). Once it arrives I'll likely send it off to him. Thanks for the help!

--Geoff
11-15-2011, 07:47 AM   #8
Giveaway winner!

Happy to help and Mr. Hendrickson is the guy...
QuoteOriginally posted by vmixer Quote
non-TTL prism to go along with this one (and for times when I want 100% coverage)
... I should mention that the regular prism is also a 94% coverage as it shares the exact same glass prism unit as the TTL. Only the Rigid (chimney) or folding waist level are going to deliver the 100%, however, the prism is a handy item non the less.

11-15-2011, 07:54 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks for the info. re: the non-TTL prism. Agreed; it will be good to have both (I have two bodies and don't want to always have to have the waist level mounted on one).