Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2011, 04:15 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Location: Living in Vancouver, BC, born in Melbourne Australia
Photos: Albums
Film Storage

I recently picked up a 645 and collection of lenses.

The previous owner gave me 5 rolls of 220 Velvia 100 and 2 of 120 Kodak Technical Pan 25 (B+W).
Both are waaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of date (the Velvia being June 2007). He said that they have always been kept in the freezer so should be fine.

My question is If I load a roll then take a week to shoot it, is that a bad thing? Or should I try and shoot the roll in a couple of days.

I've never shot with film this out of date (and I haven't shot with film for a while) so I've no idea what to expect.

Any advice or comments would be appreciated.

Cheers
Andrew

11-09-2011, 05:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Frozen film can last a long, long time. Even indifferently stored film can - I've shot medium format colour film in the 20 year old range with good results and I have no idea how it was kept before I bought it.

Generally film should be fine in the camera for months if you aren't storing it somewhere that gets hot (like a car in the summer). Colour shifting can occur over long periods, especially if the film has been exposed, but it depends on the type of film and storage conditions.

If it takes a couple of weeks to shoot a roll and you refrigerate the film from the time you finish it to the time you develop it you shouldn't have any problems. My exposed film often sits in the refrigerator for a few months because it's only worth the drive to get it processed if I'm taking several rolls at once.
11-09-2011, 05:27 PM   #3
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just use it as normal--the cold slows the aging (chemical changes) to almost nill. Only potential problem is high humidity--if film pack open. So to be safe can develop a roll before using it all for important stuff. I store color film for decade(s) in freezer with no special treatment and use as if fresh date.
11-09-2011, 05:41 PM   #4
D W
Veteran Member

If you leave a partial roll in the camera for a while, the frame after the one at the film gate might have a little bit of flatness issue due to being in extended curl up state as it is bend to the shape of the roller before entering the film gate.
I just fire off a blank shot after the shot at the film gate just to avoid any issue of having a prized shot ruined.

11-09-2011, 06:58 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Location: Living in Vancouver, BC, born in Melbourne Australia
Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks very much everyone.
I'm really looking forward to firing off a few photos with the 645.
Now I just need to work out the best place in Vancouver to have them developed.
Cheers
Andrew
11-10-2011, 05:56 AM   #6

That was helpful for me, too. Thanks!
11-10-2011, 07:33 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I recently shot a roll of 135mm Velvia 50, the original not the new emulsion so most likely a 1990s expiry date. It was a picture a day project so it was in my camera for a month. Due to past experiences with out dated film I simply gave it no thought about shooting it quickly. In addition it sat in the fridge for 10 days before I got it to the lab which ships it out of town for processing.

I even was given a box of Opal paper that was most likely not frozen and expired in 1969 and does not seem to have fogging and that to me was a surprise.

11-10-2011, 09:29 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lats Quote
Thanks very much everyone.
I'm really looking forward to firing off a few photos with the 645.
Now I just need to work out the best place in Vancouver to have them developed.
Cheers
Andrew
These are the "big" three labs in Vancouver that process E-6, C-41 and b&w. I use all three.

ABC Photo on 4th Avenue near Burrard (moving soon to 15th and Cambie)
ABC PHOTO - LightJet Imaging Centre

The "Lab" on 2nd near Main.
The Professional Digital Photo Lab ~ Full service photo finishing lab located in Vancouver,BC, Canada

Custom Color on Venables near Clarke.
Custom Color - Professional Imaging Lab

Phil.