Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2011, 10:07 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Chrome switch on R/ side of Pentax 67 body

My much looked-forward to Pentax 67 touched down here in Geelong, Australia after a 9-day journey from Lancaster USA. It's a minty body with only the slightest of slight marks. Having looked over it, one thing I am intriguedd by is a tiny chrome switch with a white 'M' behind it, just to the left of the 120/220 selector screw. One has to push in a small stud to rotate the switch to the left, push the stud again to return it to its normal position (covering the 'M') I have not been able to find a reference for this online, so I'm asking in this portal, dedicated to the Pentax big guns. I thought it might be a) a switch to allow multi-exposure(s); b) a switch to disengage the TTL prism so the camera operates with no meter (e.g. hand held metering); or c) a panic button, the 'M' standing for "Muddled": press it and all will be assured (!)

So what does this curious little switch do?

No, I'm not a beginner, LOL, though now moving up in the format ranks after years with 35mm and 6x6, plus pinhole and 6x17. I have been involved with APUG.org for years now and in my 29th year of professional practice, but now semi-retired. Lumping 'Big Bertha' around will ensure I keep my hands and arms in good shape this side of 50! Onward...

11-21-2011, 09:42 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Silent Street, do you have the manual for the camera?
Pentax camera instruction manuals, Pentax professional instruction manuals has pdf scans of the 67 manual. It's not the mirror lock up button, is it?
11-21-2011, 09:46 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I wonder if that is the factory modification for battery power bypass with mirror lockup.
11-21-2011, 12:41 PM   #4

Does it look like the picture as shown in this thread?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-medium-format-645-6x7-645d/124503-...ight-side.html

Then it is a multiple exposure switch. My Pentax 67 also has it.

11-21-2011, 12:46 PM   #5

Does it look like the picture in this thread?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-medium-format-645-6x7-645d/124503-...ight-side.html

Then, it is the multiple exposure switch. My Pentax 67 also has it.
11-21-2011, 03:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That's it, I can see it clearly in the large photo. This is interesting. Further research reveals that this modification, undertaken by the factory of a Pentax repair facility, is quite rare; without it, the 67 is incapable of multi-exposures, so in a way the mod. may sort of value-add. I am definitely a fan of multi-exposures in an artistic application (with, ahem, my Canon EOS1N...). All very interesting. Still no lens yet; waiting for that to touch down later this week. <sigh> :ugh:
11-21-2011, 03:15 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street Quote
T
without it, the 67 is incapable of multi-exposures, so in a way the mod. may sort of value-add.
I remember that picture of the switch now. How could I forget.

Actually, you can take a double, triple, quadruple, etc exposure with a regular 6x7 or 67 using the S-M-C Takumar 90mm leaf shutter lens.

Last edited by tuco; 11-21-2011 at 03:24 PM.
11-21-2011, 03:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
^ I've never done anything more than 2 double exposures; risk of forgetting it is engaged and stuffing up is too great out in the field. Historically I've had to really pay attention to the ME mode engagement and make sure to disengage it.
11-21-2011, 03:23 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
Silent Street, do you have the manual for the camera?
Pentax camera instruction manuals, Pentax professional instruction manuals has pdf scans of the 67 manual. It's not the mirror lock up button, is it?

I've downloaded and saved those manuals; very clear and informative. Thanks muchly for the link!