Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-06-2011, 12:24 PM   #16

Thanks Yamanobori. You're right.. I'll see to that..

12-11-2011, 12:20 PM   #17

I use a 16 and 8GB Sandisk Extreme card with 30 MB/s. At first I was pretty dissappointed and pi**ed off by the writing speed of the 645D but since I have started shooting RAW only (Pentax PEF, not DNG), writing speed seems much faster to me and not annoying at all. I hardly use RAW+JPG or JPG only as the quality of the JPG is plain unusable.
12-11-2011, 01:18 PM   #18

Is it faster or better with PEF than RAW?
12-11-2011, 02:16 PM   #19

Pentax PEF is RAW, DNG also, but not as compact therefor needs longer to write.

-Linus-

12-11-2011, 02:30 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ACH DIGITAL Quote
Is it faster or better with PEF than RAW?
I just fired up my camera and shot in both .DNG and Pentax Raw. I counted seconds before the image came up. Both formats took about the same amount of time. I realize this is a non-controlled test, but any difference seems inconsequential.
12-11-2011, 02:30 PM   #21

PEF gets compressed but there is no loss in quality. Here's a thread I found thru google.
12-11-2011, 06:25 PM   #22

Turn off everything. No high ISO noise reduction, no HDR, pretty much no options whatsoever, shoot RAW and you can knock off about half of the processing time. My 645 D was taking 6 or 7 seconds at one point, now it is 3 or so. Still not swift, but acceptable given most shooting styles associated with this camera.

07-18-2012, 05:40 AM   #23

I am attempting to set this 645D up for a Lifestyle shoot. I need it to run as fast as possible. I am curious if anyone can provide info to get the very fastest write times, to the SD cards, and also to get the camera to report back, as quickly as possible, with the LCD Preview. While I love the camera, I too have found the Processing Engine to be very slow; makes it hard to shoot people, quickly, with multiple frames. It seems vastly underpowered to me.

* I am running latest firmware, and I am running the Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 m/s SD cards.

* I am running only Slot 1. Slot 2 is turned off in the camera.

* Shooting RAW/DNG to card.

* Do you think the JPG settings, for size and compression, have anything to do with the actual creation of the JPG Preview that you see on the LCD? In other words, if you were shooting RAW to the card, but you wanted a fast Preview, would it help to set the JPG settings to the smallest JPG and the most compression? I would be willing to see a lesser quality LCD image, for review, if it came up FASTER.

* Any other suggestions that users have found?

Thank you very much.
07-30-2012, 05:55 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jackinkc Quote
I carry two 32 GB cards but only shoot to #1. #2 card is only for the unlikely event that I run out of room. I only shoot in .DNG RAW format.

How does DNG RAW differ from Pentax's RAW?
07-30-2012, 08:43 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
DNGs take up more space. Thats about it.
07-30-2012, 10:17 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Yamanobori Quote
DNGs take up more space. Thats about it.
You saying that from experience with the 645D?
DNG and PEF have been the same size since the Kx was introduced and since the 645D and K5 share the same hardware it would be very strange if tehre was indeed a differnce.
07-30-2012, 11:35 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Well, the file size of my 645D PEFs are different--there seems to be some kind of file compression going on. I do not believe DNG supports file compression of any kind.

What is your experience with the 645D with RAW files?
07-30-2012, 11:43 AM   #28
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by marktucker Quote
I am attempting to set this 645D up for a Lifestyle shoot. I need it to run as fast as possible. I am curious if anyone can provide info to get the very fastest write times, to the SD cards, and also to get the camera to report back, as quickly as possible, with the LCD Preview. While I love the camera, I too have found the Processing Engine to be very slow; makes it hard to shoot people, quickly, with multiple frames. It seems vastly underpowered to me.

* I am running latest firmware, and I am running the Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 m/s SD cards.

* I am running only Slot 1. Slot 2 is turned off in the camera.

* Shooting RAW/DNG to card.

* Do you think the JPG settings, for size and compression, have anything to do with the actual creation of the JPG Preview that you see on the LCD? In other words, if you were shooting RAW to the card, but you wanted a fast Preview, would it help to set the JPG settings to the smallest JPG and the most compression? I would be willing to see a lesser quality LCD image, for review, if it came up FASTER.

* Any other suggestions that users have found?

Thank you very much.
Well the preview jpg is a different file in the RAW-format, so setting different settings for jpg are not related to that. You camera will be faster when you turn off the preview and only use it when you need it to check things. You can use the internal buffer and keep shooting, but then you have to wait at some point to check things. On the other hand learning to trust your camera working with choosen settings is also a good way to speed up things.

Turning off things like lenscorrections and noise reduction makes the camera faster. It never will be a fast camera, unless you compare it to the 645N where you have to wait for filmdevelopement.
08-01-2012, 03:39 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Yamanobori Quote
Well, the file size of my 645D PEFs are different--there seems to be some kind of file compression going on. I do not believe DNG supports file compression of any kind.

What is your experience with the 645D with RAW files?
It does compress the DNG with the Kx, Kr, K7, K5, Q, K30 and the K-01 so like i said would be strange th 645D doesn't

Played with the 645D for a hour but nothing serious so no experience, thats why i'am asking.