Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-02-2011, 06:32 PM   #1
Site Supporter

645D write speed

I am experiencing slow write times with my 645D. I would like to work this out with the assistance of others.

12-02-2011, 06:55 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you have a class 10 or higher card? The faster your card, the faster the camera can write.

The processor is pretty slow in general though, so you will have to get used to having to wait a little bit to see the photo after you shoot it

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-03-2011, 02:03 AM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
My current cards are 16GB Sandisk Extreme Pro, labeled 45 MB/s.
I don't have exact timings, but it looks like just under 4 seconds in total with these cards. The time between the shutter closing and image stored is divided 50-50 between camera processing and file saving.
How does that align with your write times, jackinkc?

best,
Jostein
12-03-2011, 02:05 AM - 1 Like   #4
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The processor is pretty slow in general though,
It is not "pretty slow in general". It is handling large amounts of data in particular.

12-04-2011, 12:37 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

From what i can tell it share almost the same hardware with the K5.
I believe the SD write speed came close to 20 to 25MB/s.

But card speed isn't that important,as far as i know an image would take this route: sensor > RAM > processing > RAM > SD.
So as long as the RAM isn't full SD speed won't limit it.
12-05-2011, 03:43 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alunfoto Quote
My current cards are 16GB Sandisk Extreme Pro, labeled 45 MB/s.
I don't have exact timings, but it looks like just under 4 seconds in total with these cards. The time between the shutter closing and image stored is divided 50-50 between camera processing and file saving.
How does that align with your write times, jackinkc?
best,
Jostein
I am using 32GB, 30 MB/s cards. The write time is about 15 seconds in the studio, with flash, and about 8 seconds with regular exposure. That variation makes no sense to me, but I guess 8 seconds write time is not that bad. I suppose if I went to faster cards all would be OK.

Adam suggested a class 10 card or faster; a limited online search shows class10 to be about 24 MB/s. Unless I am misreading the specs looks like Jostein's 45 and my 30 are both faster than class 10.

Maybe I should shut up and use what I have.
12-05-2011, 06:14 PM   #7

Hi guys, are using two cards or just one. Are you writing RAW + JPG or just RAW. ??

12-05-2011, 06:40 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The 645D achieves, by comparison to more mainstream DLSRs, pretty slow write speeds to the card. This is partly due to the huge file sizes, and partly due to the fact (I believe) that the camera contains some systems/components taken from other DSLRs (which is one of the reasons that the camera is relatively cheap - for a MF DSLR). So expectations should not be too high for speeds. As long as you have a reasonably fast card, you will find that getting an even faster card makes zero difference - as the limiting factor is the camera's own write speed and not the card.

Having said that, writing to only one card (rather than both), shooting only one format (i.e. not RAW + JPG) and turning off some of the processing options (e.g. lens corrections) will speed things up somewhat. Personally I leave lens corrections on, but shoot only RAW format; I shoot to only one card, unless I am taking a vitally important picture where speed is not of the essence. That maximises speed. But it will never be a fast camera.
12-05-2011, 07:06 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ACH DIGITAL Quote
Hi guys, are using two cards or just one. Are you writing RAW + JPG or just RAW. ??
I carry two 32 GB cards but only shoot to #1. #2 card is only for the unlikely event that I run out of room. I only shoot in .DNG RAW format.
12-05-2011, 07:11 PM   #10

Thank you for the information. I'm in the market for one and this is what I've been checking for. In comparison to other medium format 40 mpx cameras, is it too much of a difference? Sorry to compare but just need the info..
12-05-2011, 07:42 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Having experienced corrupt cards, I always shoot so each RAW shot is saved to both cards--it is like a built-in RAID 1 array. If one of the cards should ever become corrupt, the other will have the image.

Write speeds are a bit of a pain, but nothing you can't deal with.
12-05-2011, 08:16 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ed Hurst Quote
Personally I leave lens corrections on, but shoot only RAW format.
Lens correction isn'r aplied to the RAW file only to the JPGs and the JPG preview inside the RAW.
So in your case you can simply leave it off without any penalty and improve the speed a bit.
12-05-2011, 08:24 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ACH DIGITAL Quote
Thank you for the information. I'm in the market for one and this is what I've been checking for. In comparison to other medium format 40 mpx cameras, is it too much of a difference? Sorry to compare but just need the info..
I think the 645d image quality will compare favorably with any other MF digital. I KNOW pentax lenses are as good as any.
12-06-2011, 06:29 AM   #14

Oh I know for sure (have downloaded several files) they are comparable in image quality. What I'd like to know is writing speed processing compare to lets say PO or HD..
12-06-2011, 12:09 PM   #15
Veteran Member

You should be able to contact a dealer to find the write times. Better yet, rent some of these cameras and try them out. It is going to be a rare individual who owns two different MFD systems--not impossible, but really not common.