Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2011, 03:38 PM   #1

645D & Cable release Question

I usually use the histogram after exposure to make sure I got it right. I usually shoot hand held with a monopod. Today I used a tripod, and mirror lock up, because I wanted slow shutter speed to slightly blur breaking waves. I discovered that with the cable release plugged in, there was no image replay with histogram. It would not play back either. If I made a shot, then unplugged the cable release, the replay with histogram came up, no problem. Is this normal? BTW the cable release is a generic release, not the Pentax brand. Thanks in advance.
Dave G in NJ

12-22-2011, 06:56 PM   #2
Forum Member

I'm having an issue with the generic cable release too - it won't work at all - the screen just goes black for a split second, then returns to normal with out taking a picture, locking up the mirror, or whatever function I have selected for the remote. Is there a secret way to get the generic cable release to work? I would have purchased the Pentax version but it was out of stock so I didn't have much choice. The waterproof remote works just fine. Thanks for any thoughts...
12-22-2011, 08:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sorry, can't help. I use the Pentax waterproof IR remote. I highly recommend it.
12-23-2011, 04:00 AM   #4
Forum Member

Yup, I have the waterproof remote as well but it is easy to lose or misplace since it is so small and unattached. I much prefer a wired release that I leave plugged in all the time since I use one for every exposure. I'm just wondering if there is a magic setting I have missed or if I just got a dud release? I tried all the different settings in the drive mode and also mirror lockup, but still only get a blank screen for a half second when I push the button, then return to the normal screen. While we are on the subject, is there a way to not have the red light blinking when the remote is selected in the drive mode? I don't mind have a red light for countdown, but not on all the time, and I could not find a way to turn it off. Just got the camera a couple of days ago so am still learning. Thanks...

12-23-2011, 07:32 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I put my remote on a lanyard around my neck.

Sorry, I think Dave went and bought one because he could get the other to work.
12-23-2011, 09:14 AM   #6
Forum Member

I managed to get my generic cable release to work - but only when I hold it in with my fingers - it is not going in far enough as someone suggested on another thread here. Hopefully I can cut away enough of the outside of the plug housing to allow it to push all the way in. The waterproof remote does not work in all areas when standing beside the camera - it has to be within view of the receiver - a wired release is much better for the sort of work that I do. Don't really know why Pentax is always out of stock of their wired release and also their AC adapter - seems like odd things to be out of. Nikon had a big issue with their AC adapter not being available for a long time a year or two ago as well - perhaps some rare earth element used in the manufacture?
12-24-2011, 11:09 AM   #7

Original Poster
I bought a wireless remote, and do not care for it. It does not always work...some times it takes several pushes of the button, or aim it in a slightly different direction. I bought from ebay a brand new (no box or papers) genuine Pentax wired release for $8.00 works like a charm!! I love it. I was trying to catch breaking waves at their peak, and need a release with minium fussyness and delay. The problem was the generic...it will go in the trash!
Thanks all
Dave