Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2011, 10:06 PM   #1
Site Supporter

pentax 645d vrs hasselblad

lets have a comperision between the 645d and the hasse 40 mps.

12-11-2011, 10:20 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
$8k is the difference :tongue:

Hasselblad H4D-40 Medium Format DSLR Camera 70380554 B&H Photo

With medium format cameras, it's the resolution that's the defining factor. If both cameras have the same resolution, you'll only see differences in color reproduction and maybe noise. The hassy has a higher bit depth and I bet it has better processing as well, but other hardware, like the shutter and screen, are inferior to those of the Pentax.

We could do a comparative review now that you've brought up the idea, but if Pentax announces any new mainstream products then those will take priority. Without doing the review, I'm willing to bet that the conclusion will be the same as above: the Pentax is better because it's so much cheaper.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-11-2011, 11:51 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
$8k is the difference :tongue:

Hasselblad H4D-40 Medium Format DSLR Camera 70380554 B&H Photo

With medium format cameras, it's the resolution that's the defining factor. If both cameras have the same resolution, you'll only see differences in color reproduction and maybe noise. The hassy has a higher bit depth and I bet it has better processing as well, but other hardware, like the shutter and screen, are inferior to those of the Pentax.

We could do a comparative review now that you've brought up the idea, but if Pentax announces any new mainstream products then those will take priority. Without doing the review, I'm willing to bet that the conclusion will be the same as above: the Pentax is better because it's so much cheaper.

Adam,

As a 645D user I have to say that my eyes do not wander towards H4D-40 (maybe I am stupid). I am for example far more curious about a set up that consists of something like 503cw + CFV-39 digital back, or rather some other brands that produces V system digital backs like Leaf or phase one, or something like that.

I still think that the conclusion will very much be the same, as there is still quite a bit of cost difference (though not as much as H4D-40) and other issues like sensor dust and weather sealing that heavily favor 645D. But V system D backs are quite readily available at quite a discount on second hand market, and I do think that they are a rather a fair comparison. At least I myself is very curious. I dunno about 645D users here thuogh.

But I think I am curious in a bit different ways. What I am thinking is that people who shoot Hassey - they shoot Hassey dispite its short comings, therefore conventional way of comparison probably does not reveal a whole lot.

My stupid curiosity led me to buy a H mount to 645D adapter for my 645D. This can well be a very dangerous undertaking, but I wanted to know what Hassey lenses (or for that matter Carl Zeiss lens) would look like on 645D sensor. I haven't got around to buying those, as I got sidetracked by M8.

So, I was wondering if we can do a blind testing of some sort, where perhaps there is a member with few Carl Zeiss H mount lenses that they are willing to loan for a few days, and in return perhaps I can provide my 645D/DFA55/2.8 and the adapter? You shoot at random subjects at different apertures and shutter speeds with both Zeiss and Pentax lenses, and have the members vote on which "look" they prefer.

I did appreciate your 645D review, and in general other reviews are very thoroughly done, but I wonder if taking a bit of different path may enlighten things that have not been uncovered in the past . . .

On a different note, how about a comparison between M9 and 645D??
12-12-2011, 09:57 AM   #4
Pentaxian

The H4D-40 has some features that look well suited for studio work and a sophisticated focus system that someone earning money from their camera might not find the price difference a measure of choosing these kinds of cameras.

12-12-2011, 10:04 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
The H4D-40 has some features that look well suited for studio work and a sophisticated focus system that someone earning money from their camera might not find the price difference a measure of choosing these kinds of cameras.
exactly. I view the Hassy as a studio camera. Not something any Pentax was ever designed for. they are field cameras
12-12-2011, 10:21 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Having used the Pentax in the studio, I can say it is a fine studio camera. You can customize the sync speed for the X mode and test fire the studio flashes with the LCD illumination button on the body. The images from the studio are great.

There really is no such thing as a studio camera or a field camera.
12-12-2011, 11:17 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Yamanobori Quote
Having used the Pentax in the studio, I can say it is a fine studio camera. You can customize the sync speed for the X mode and test fire the studio flashes with the LCD illumination button on the body. The images from the studio are great.

There really is no such thing as a studio camera or a field camera.
Not much different than the film days except with modern twists. I could shoot my P67 in a studio situation as well as my 500C/M and vise versa outdoors. But one felt more at home in the studio than the other and with a few more features.
12-19-2011, 06:10 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
oh hell! i just thought that given the price difference a good showing by the 645d would be one hell of a selling point. and ego boost ,if i had a hasse i would do a few extra arm curles and have it in the field as fast as i did my 645d

12-21-2011, 09:02 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Another distinct advantage the Pentax has over the hassy is longer telephoto lenses, Hasselblad doesn't have anything longer than 300mm f/4.5 for the H system, pentax goes all the way up to a 600mm f/5.6.