Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2011, 10:27 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Strange looking pictures - anybody has experienced this?

Hello,
I got today the two attached photos randomly out of a 100 of DNGs that had no problems.
Used card was Sandisk SDXC Ultra 64 GB 15mb/s. On the second card (Eye Fi Pro) the small jpegs were all fine.
The camera is new, only a few hundreds of pictures taken with it, so far a nice experience.
Can anybody identify the problem, or did you experience something similar?
Latest Firmware is on the body. Do I have to worry, or is it maybe the card?
Any help or advice is appreciated, thank you!!

Attached Images

12-14-2011, 11:08 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I like the second one. How much for a 20" x 30"?

I had something like that happen to part of one image, once, with my Canon G9. I just assumed it was some sort of hiccup. Perhaps you should format the card before you go out shooting again. Should it happen again, you'll need to determine whether it's the one card, or, if it happens on other cards, the camera.
12-14-2011, 12:08 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
wow, put that in a gallery.
12-14-2011, 01:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Looks like a card error, but keep it in case you want a career in non-representational art.

12-14-2011, 03:37 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
hello everyone,thanks for answering!
I immediately felt that I had discovered some form of artistic expression
Thanks Yamanobori, I hoped that it would only be card related. I think I put the 32Gb SDHC card back in
the camera, maybe it is more reliable. (although I cannot easily accept this kind of card error, that
never happened in several years with my Canon)
12-14-2011, 03:50 PM   #6
Banned

Maybe it is the SDXC that is not working fine, but I do think you have got a nice present with that picture.
12-14-2011, 04:34 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Somewhere I read a thread about someone who had gotten their sensor damaged. The resultant photos looked a little like that and they loved the effect. Refused to get the camera repaired because it generated true artistic images.

Note, that I do not think that is what is wrong here, I suspect you had a write error which might be the card or the camera but most likely the card. I have had a few images over the years that looked similar and it never happened often or repeatably. In this case I think SDXC still has a few bugs.

12-14-2011, 06:25 PM   #8
Veteran Member

That happened to me a couple of years ago with my Fuji. The end result wasn't nearly so interesting though. Bad card definitely. It died shortly thereafter from overuse I guess. I swapped out the one I was using and no further problems. You might want to try a reformat of the card, but I wouldn't trust it again with anything important.
12-16-2011, 06:58 AM   #9
Forum Member

Hello cafeviennois,

exactly the same problem happened to me just around 1 month ago, when I purchased two Transcend 64GB SDXC memory cards. Both cards produced corrupted files, like in your case. When I did a little bit of research I found out that many buyers of current 64GB SDXC cards have the same problem, no matter whhich brand was used. It seems that all 64GB cards tend to be very problematic in this regard.
This never happened to any of my smaller Sandisk cards (32, 16, 8 GB) in the last couple of years. Only with the 64GB I got these corrupted files.
I hope this helps.

dA