Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2011, 01:34 AM   #1

Help with 2X converter

Hello,

I bought for a reasonable amount a 2X. Upon receiving it, I noticed that of the 2 spring loaded levers inside only 1 is spring loaded, the other is moving freely. I also have the 1.4x and both the levers are spring loaded.
I put the converter behind the 300mm and apparently it seems to work. (It keeps the diaphragm open until the shot is taken) Does anybody have experience with this, in order for me to make a decision?
I still have the possibility of returning the item.

Thank you in advance for any enlightments.

12-16-2011, 03:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

It's normal with Tamron F, Tamron Pz-AF, Tokina EL, and CPC. All are 2x TCs - two of them are extension tubes.
12-16-2011, 10:28 AM   #3

Original Poster
To Excanonfd

I'm sorry I didn't get your reply.

My question is: Since the 2 levers are supposed to be spring loaded and in my converter only one is, but it still seems to work, what does the other lever do?
In details: the lever that keeps the diaphragm open when stopped down is spring loaded, the other ( defective) is not but I can't understand its function.

Since I can still return the item, I'm trying to determine if the problem would impare my ability to take photos or not. The first impression is not, but someone who knows the mechanic of this, might tell me otherwise.
12-16-2011, 06:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by matesa Quote
I'm sorry I didn't get your reply.

My question is: Since the 2 levers are supposed to be spring loaded and in my converter only one is, but it still seems to work, what does the other lever do?
In details: the lever that keeps the diaphragm open when stopped down is spring loaded, the other ( defective) is not but I can't understand its function.

Since I can still return the item, I'm trying to determine if the problem would impare my ability to take photos or not. The first impression is not, but someone who knows the mechanic of this, might tell me otherwise.
What I am saying it's not a defect to have one of the levers not spring loaded. All of my 2x TCs have only the one lever that springs back, the other is free floating. Four TCs from three brands being like this must mean that that's how the 2x TC are designed. One of the lever (free floating) transfers the mechanical command from the camera to close the lens down at the moment of the shutter release, what the other one does is a mystery to me because I would have assumed the aperture size value would be transmitted via the electrical contacts. If you mount an M lens and open and close the aperture, the spring loaded lever moves in one direction or the other as the aperture is opened and closed. If you still want to return your TC, be my guest but I don't think you will find another that's any different.

12-18-2011, 12:45 PM   #5

Original Poster
To Excanonfd

Now it's very clear that my question was understood correctly and thank you very much, for the complete answer.

If I didn't have the 1.4X with both levers spring loaded, I would have probably not even raised the issue. I'll keep the item because so far it has worked.

Cheers to beautiful Vancouver