Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2011, 04:55 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
120 films color and B&W

Hi guys,

Never use a 120 film before, but can you share where you buy 120 films? both color and B&W.
and can you introduce a good value 120 film (say if I buy in 5 roll/pack)?

What is the cheapest film you can get? price/roll

Thanks!

12-21-2011, 05:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For color, I have always liked the film from Fuji. I mostly went for their 400 speed color neg. For black and white, I am partial to Kodak TMax 400. I would imagine anything from Fuji, Kodak, or Ilford are going to give you great results.
12-21-2011, 05:25 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I get my 120 roll film at a local camera store which stocks a comprehensive selection as well as order online from Freestyle Photographic Supplies Most films can be purchased in a "pro pack" which is 5 rolls per pack.
12-21-2011, 06:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

For B&W I'm a big fan of Fuji Acros. Quite economical IMO at $3.49 a roll from Freestyle or slightly cheaper as a 5 roll pack.
If you want cheaper (B&W), possibly look for Foma films or some of the rebranded ones also from Freestyle.

12-22-2011, 12:04 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I shoot Fuji Acros 100 (very reasonably priced), Rollei Retro 80s (fine grain with extended red sensitivity), and Kodak Ektar 100 (not too expensive, but fine grain with great color) in 120. The Acros and Ektar are widely available and in stock at several stores in my area. The Retro 80s, much less so, though I think that Freestyle currently stocks it. Freestyle has a good selection in general.

Steve
12-22-2011, 04:08 AM   #6

I use Kodak TMAX 100 and 400 (b&w) which are very sharp with nice grain. For difficult light situations I can also recommend the Ilford Deltra 3200 - very sharp, heavy but nice grain. I like these the most because you can scan them very well. I found that most of the Ilford films (with the exception of the 3200) are not that suitable for scanning - at least this is my impression using a Hasselblad Flextight X5.
As for color films: I tried the Kodak Portra 100 and 400 but haven't scanned them, yet. The colours are warm and less saturated than the colours of a Fuji Velvia, for instance.
12-22-2011, 06:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks a lot for all your info, seems like Freestyle is where most of you buy your film?

Thanks!

12-22-2011, 09:39 PM   #8

I buy a lot from B&H, because they seem to have things in stock whenever Adorama or Freestyle is out. And I find it hard to navigate Freestyle's website. Last time I bought film, it was $3.75 a roll.

As for the film selection itself, I use Kodak's Tri-X in 400 speed (400TX) and I rate it at 160 in my 645N (and pretty much everything else) when I develop it in HC-110...this gives a subtle softness with deep grays and sharp edges. However, I also rate Tri-X at 1600 and develop in Diafine, and it gives a wonderfully eerie, haunting look...dark and deep and gloomy. I love the versatility; I can use it with slower lenses and filters in daylight and get wonderful landscapes and street scenes, etc...or I can pair it with fast f1.2 lenses and basically shoot at 1/500th walking around a fair or carnival at night. It's a great film.

Piece of advice: once you select a film, STAY WITH IT UNTIL YOU LEARN IT. The best photographers I know have all advised me to do exactly this, and they're right: just like anything else, you have to learn something inside and out before you really know what you can do with it...and once you know that, you can begin to really work. My images have gotten better from not switching films (among other reasons).
01-02-2012, 04:15 PM   #9
Inactive Account

I definitely agree with sundowner with his idea of Staying with a film until you learn it..I am still a beginner with film and have tried switching it up for aesthetic reasons but I have found that whenever I continually buy specific film it helps me the most. That being said, Portra is great and pretty easy to find online or if you have a local store, and is somewhat forgiving if you mess up exposure so I usually just go with that
01-17-2012, 11:40 AM   #10
Inactive Account

For medium speed B&W I like Fuji Acros very well, and it's priced right (from Adorama). I also have good results with T-Max 100, but it needs a lot more fixing and washing to get the blue out. I believe the blue is the coating to prevent halos around bright spots. The Acros develops faster, and has high contrast. I recommend not exceeding the recommended developing times.

I've little experience with high speed films in the 645 but for 35mm I agree with most people that Tri-X is excellent.

For color, try using one of the reversal films from Fuji or Kodak. You can then have prints made of your favorites. It's also easy to scan and make your own prints with a quality printer.

By the way, it is a simple thing to convert 220 film holders to 120. I've done it and it works. Details are found on the web. Whereas 120 holders are few and expensive, 220 holders are easily found and can sometimes be had at low prices.