Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-23-2011, 10:48 PM   #1

The mythical used lenses

So there is a lot of talk on various review sites that there are cheap used 645 lenses to be had and that is what makes the 645 attractive. Where exactly can I find used lenses even at those prices listed in the lens review section of the site ? I have the 654 and one lens (the 55) but it's pretty touch to find any used lenses for the system in canada. I'm travelling to california this January and perhaps there are places to buy used lenses there ?

Does anyone know ? I would like the 400mm f5.6 and the 120mm f4 macro.

12-23-2011, 10:54 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are currently dozens of vintage 645 lenses on our marketplace:

The Pentax Marketplace | Sell Pentax | Photographic Equipment for Sale - PentaxForums.com

Adorama also has a handful in their used department:
pentax 645 - Adorama.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-24-2011, 06:10 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There are also numerous lenses listed at times on ebay. Keep in mind when looking at prices paid in the review section that they may reflect a purchase made years ago at lower prices or the rare 'found a deal'.
12-24-2011, 07:39 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by larkis Quote
So there is a lot of talk on various review sites that there are cheap used 645 lenses to be had and that is what makes the 645 attractive. Where exactly can I find used lenses even at those prices listed in the lens review section of the site ? I have the 654 and one lens (the 55) but it's pretty touch to find any used lenses for the system in canada. I'm travelling to california this January and perhaps there are places to buy used lenses there ?

Does anyone know ? I would like the 400mm f5.6 and the 120mm f4 macro.
I have both of those lenses and bought them second hand in Hamburg. For the two it was about 2000 euros - about $2,600. They were both in great shape. The 120 is particularly good. Oh and they are both the FA examples. I bought them in photohaus. They do international sales too. http://www.photohaus.de

12-24-2011, 08:35 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

and ebay probably has what you're looking for. Dont be afraid to make an ebay seller an offer that's substantially less than what is listed.
12-24-2011, 08:55 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

KEH appears to be another valuable resource:

Pentax 645 Zoom Lenses - KEH.com and Pentax 645 Fixed Focal Length Lenses - KEH.com

Keep in mind, unless you are ok with manual focus, you'll want to trim that list to FA lenses, of which they do have a few.
12-24-2011, 08:58 AM   #7

A manual 120mm macro can be had for $500, in great shape. That's not too bad. I saw a few 400's on ebay for $800-ish. I check KEH often, as well...everything I've gotten from there as been in better condition than they described. I just picked up a k-mount lens for someone else the other day...and I have two Nikon lenses from there as well. I'd rather go to them than eBay any day of the week...I just trust the descriptions more.

12-25-2011, 06:08 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

i use KEH too,only have one autofocus lens,the75mm.i grew up useing manual focus, even on action shots. has always worked for me. also have 45mm,80-160mm 75mm ls and 67 135 macro with adaptor. plus a 2x converter.do i need more?
12-25-2011, 07:35 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by bull drinkwater Quote
do i need more?
That's for you to decide. Personally, it seems like you have a nice collection going...but that's coming from the guy that only has one lens.
12-25-2011, 12:37 PM   #10
Inactive Account

hello , i bought both mentioned lens and others from HongKong (plus some from KEH), total of 8 lenses they all arived in excellent condition.

Regards
12-25-2011, 02:03 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sundowner Quote
That's for you to decide. Personally, it seems like you have a nice collection going...but that's coming from the guy that only has one lens.
i should have said"do i really need more?" [pun]. know how you feel about 1 lens, it took a lot of yrs to get to where i could afford this many.
12-29-2011, 02:17 PM   #12

The new member hasn't responded since the opening post so maybe he/she has either concluded that there are no cheap lenses or he/she has already found them.

It is always nice when the original inquirer acknowledges the help given. However based on what has been said and what the OP's definition of cheap is and on my experience in the U.K. there are no such lenses as cheap used. There may have been until Pentax brought out the digital 645 but those days have gone.

I seem to recall another thread here which more or less confirmed the above.

So I think the honest answer is that "cheap used" is now a myth unfortunately.

Sorry OP

asahijock
12-29-2011, 06:59 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

i'm glad i got mine when i did.
12-30-2011, 09:16 AM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bull drinkwater Quote
i'm glad i got mine when i did.
I'll second that! Back in early 2011 I was able to buy the 200mm manual focus in LN condition for $125. While I gulped at $550 for the 35mm manual focus, it was new old stock, in the box with packing materials and warranty card. I've recently seen it listed on KEH in E+ for about $1,000. My 120mm manual focus I bought from a fellow member for, I think, $450, was money well spent for a lens in LN condition, with caps and case.

I'm sure the introduction of the 645d has driven the prices up on used gear. While my 645n could use the FA lenses I can't afford the luxury of autofocus.
12-30-2011, 10:01 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
I'll second that! Back in early 2011 I was able to buy the 200mm manual focus in LN condition for $125. While I gulped at $550 for the 35mm manual focus, it was new old stock, in the box with packing materials and warranty card. I've recently seen it listed on KEH in E+ for about $1,000. My 120mm manual focus I bought from a fellow member for, I think, $450, was money well spent for a lens in LN condition, with caps and case.

I'm sure the introduction of the 645d has driven the prices up on used gear. While my 645n could use the FA lenses I can't afford the luxury of autofocus.
i did drop $450 for the75mm fa, but all the rest are manual.i felt that the 45mm was wide enough for me.
happy new year, and happy shooting!!!