Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2012, 08:07 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What happens to the 645D if Kodak goes under?

There's been a lot of talk in the news as of late about Kodak possibly declaring bankruptcy. What will happen to the 40mp sensors they are producing for Pentax if this happens? Is it looking like anyone else might be stepping up to the plate to produce a larger sensor?

01-06-2012, 08:11 AM   #2

I read somewhere that they sold off their sensors business some months ago.
01-06-2012, 08:11 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Doubt it'll affect the current model, but it would be nice if Ricoh would let Pentax develop their own sensors for future models!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-06-2012, 08:14 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Kodak already sold the sensor division. Now I do not see any advantage for a camera maker to make their sensor, Cost is in hundred of millions

01-06-2012, 09:56 AM   #5

what happens to the TMAX - that's a much more important question.
01-06-2012, 10:04 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sensor division was sold some time ago, just as they announced several new sensors. However, they are CCD models of course not CMOS and I'm not sure how much future there is in CCD for DSLR's.

The interesting thing about Kodak though is the rumored patent hoard. Value is estimated in the news at 5x capitalization. Admittedly the news media probably has no idea and the current capitalization is greatly diminished. However, I wonder when the sharks will circle on that particular treasure. Surprised no offers have been made yet, but I suppose with Kodak in a downward spiral everyone is waiting until they hit bottom to strike.
01-06-2012, 10:46 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
However, I wonder when the sharks will circle on that particular treasure. Surprised no offers have been made yet, but I suppose with Kodak in a downward spiral everyone is waiting until they hit bottom to strike.
No doubt EK's bonds have been accumulated by Distressed Debt hedge funds, who will control the Creditors' Committee in the reorganization.

The job of the Creditors' Committee is to screw anybody who holds equity or unsecured credit (banks, short-term lenders, Commercial Paper holders); grossly undervalue the assets of the company by evaluating them as distressed; negotiate the restructuriing, under these terms, with the Delaware Chancery Court; take possession of the assets of the company and transfer them to a Liquidating Holding Company, Ltd.; transfer any pension liabilities to the US taxpayer through the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corp. (another GSE); liquidate the assets over time at a 50% annualized IRR; pay out the proceeds of liquidation as a special dividend from Liquidating Holdings, Ltd. (at the special dividend tax rate); and keep any valuable real estate.

It is all very formulaic. Happens all day every day.

(Actually they'l stay in business making commercial and consumer photo printers, a profitable business that they dominate in the commercial space and have competitive consumer product. Film will be milked as a cash cow until it dies - either by newKodak or by a private equity fiorm that buys it)

Last edited by monochrome; 01-06-2012 at 11:05 AM.
01-06-2012, 10:51 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Sensor division was sold some time ago, just as they announced several new sensors. However, they are CCD models of course not CMOS and I'm not sure how much future there is in CCD for DSLR's.
CMOS isn't necessary better then CCD, it's only that you see that CMOS gets more developed these day because they are better at high ISO but at lower ISO CCD has more potential.
Also developing a CCD is simpler than CMOS so when the amount of untis that gets made is low CCD will be a better choice so for mid format camera's i doubt we will see CMOS any time soon because these camera's are made for low ISO work.
It's not like you will be shooting at a concert with a 645D for example.

http://www.teledynedalsa.com/corp/markets/ccd_vs_cmos.aspx
01-06-2012, 07:58 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
CMOS isn't necessary better then CCD
Agree, in fact I understand CCD has some advantages. However, it was my understanding that CCD could not be used for video, and with AFAIK all new DSLR's including video that excludes CCD. I could be wrong on that, if I am please feel free to correct me. This is not an area I am expert in, this is just what I have read. So while there is nothing inherently wrong with using CCD in a still camera, it won't be because you cannot add on video.
01-07-2012, 09:33 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by phonoline Quote
what happens to the TMAX - that's a much more important question.
Yes, not forgetting Kodachrome, Portra and Ektar...
01-07-2012, 02:17 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There's nothing inherent in CCD that stops them from doing video, there are plenty of point and shoot cameras with CCD sensors that do live view and video. The problem is that a large CCD produces too much heat when doing video. So at least in theory you can just add cooling.
01-20-2012, 05:41 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by drougge Quote
There's nothing inherent in CCD that stops them from doing video, there are plenty of point and shoot cameras with CCD sensors that do live view and video. The problem is that a large CCD produces too much heat when doing video. So at least in theory you can just add cooling.
In theory that is true but the heat even with a fan in side is huge. Even the Canon 5d Mk II can't do more than about 10-12 minutes, before getting wiggy or shutting down. The MF DBs heat is like 5-6 times what is generated by a FF DSLR and that means an increase in noise as time goes by...
That is why it took until now to even get to Live view on MF DB's. Even there, the heat generated by the sensor and the LCD screen finder increases the total heat even more. Not to mention they are still mostly CCD sensors.
But they are working on them as well...
Maybe later.
Rod