Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2012, 09:42 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Cable releases won't fit 645D

I've gone through 3 different cable releases on the 645D, and NONE can be properly inserted into the hole in the back of the camera. I've tried one from Aperature, Vivitar, and the included cable with the Gigapan Epic Pro.

The Aperture (a Christmas gift) couldn't fire the camera - the screen blacked out when I depressed the button.

I thought the Gigapan would work because there's photos on gigapan.org taken with the 645D. However, nothing happens with the Gigapan cable during a shutter test.

I purchased the Vivitar just to confirm that the camera wasn't borken. However, the Vivitar only works when the wire pointed in the 12 o'clock position AND I press on it.

I've been looking for a 2.5mm extention on the web without success. Fry's, Radio Shack, and Best Buy don't have anything. It appears the depression in the back of the camera is too narrow and too deep to allow for the 2.5mm jack to fit properly.

Has anyone experianced this with other brands? What was your fix? What about the Pentax CS-205? Does that fit? I just might buy two: One used as a remote and another to cut the head off and solder onto the cable that came with the Gigapan.

01-07-2012, 09:50 AM   #2
Forum Member

Hey Frank, same problem here. What I did was shave off part of the plastic surrounding the plug until it went in and clicked and now everything works just fine - it was just too fat. I also have the waterproof wireless remote but it does not work in all positions - since it is IR it needs to see the eye on the camera before it will fire - I much prefer the wired release.
01-07-2012, 10:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I use the wireless remote and I prefer it over a cable as I don't have to open the body and worry about the cable--I am doing my work in the field. Yes, the camera does not see it from every position and the solution is really easy--don't hold it in those positions. I have the remote on a lanyard around my neck and so after focusing, I just lift the remote and fire the camera. It packs really well.

But Pentax does have a cable release for the 645D.
01-07-2012, 10:46 AM   #4
Forum Member

I shoot in the field, in the woods, on the sides of bluffs, and on top of cars - sometimes if I have to move to where the camera IR interface can seen by the remote I will fall off a bluff, ha, ha! I much prefer to not have to worry about where I'm standing in order to fire the camera. I keep my wired remove taped to the camera body and there is nothing open to the elements. The Pentax wired release is very expensive and frequently out of stock - shaving the plug on the other releases is free and available to you right now!

01-07-2012, 10:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The IR interface can be seen from the back and front of the camera. The IR will easily fire the camera no matter which side you stand.

BTW, I thought your 645D did not work from the get go. Have you had it returned?
01-07-2012, 11:28 AM   #6

I use both the wired and wireless Pentax triggers and they work fine, with my first 645D the wired trigger would not work That camera was returned to Pentax for a replacement.
01-07-2012, 11:40 AM   #7
Forum Member

I know of several folks - including me - that have reported the waterproof wireless remote won't fire from all places around the camera - my understanding is that since it is IR it needs to see or be very close to seeing the eye on the camera that receives the signal - none of these little IR remotes seem to be able to, at least none of them I've ever used (radio remotes are much better and do not require line of sight). I can fire the Pentax IR remote from the back and from the front of the camera just fine, and sometimes from some locations on the sides, but not from all around it - there are dead spots. Sounds like you got a good one! I've never really liked any of the little remotes though, and always prefer a wired one - I just got the IR remote as a backup if my wired one failed.

If you were asking about my 645d, it has worked great since I received it a couple of weeks ago with the exception of an issue with the sensor, and also an issue with some Sandisk 32gb cards (the camera could not write to these cards when the temp was below 40 degrees F - works fine with several other brands of memory cards - weird). I am waiting for the call tag return label from Pentax to send it back for an exchange for a new one due to the sensor issue. When shooting above ISO 200 and using the standard shutter speeds (not bulb), a large white vertical line appears that goes up and down about 80% of the image. It does not appear at ISO 100 or 200, nor anytime bulb is used with 30 seconds or longer - including up to an hour exposure. Pixel mapping does not help. If it were film I would say the film was scratched, but I hear a scratch on the sensor would appear as a black line instead of white. The black frame subtraction exposure removes it when I'm doing really long exposures, and while I hardly shoot at anything above 200 ISO I still want to get a new sensor just because it should not be there.

I have been using Phase One backs and cameras for five years and find this Pentax to be much more enjoyable to use - and only wish I had bought it a year ago!
01-07-2012, 11:48 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I originally thought the camera was faulty because I couldn't fire the shutter via a cable release. But since I was able to w/ the Vivitar, the camera works fine.

01-07-2012, 12:11 PM   #9
Veteran Member

jwoodland, yes, there are dead spots, but it does not require any skill to avoid them. I have never found a cable release perfect either. But that is the great thing about these forums is folks can offer their experience of what works from them. None of these work preferences are better than others.

I am glad you are enjoying the 645D and I am sorry to hear it has not gone smoothly. I use a Phase back in my studio and the 645D certainly a step up in ease of use from that.
01-07-2012, 01:27 PM   #10
Pentaxian

The CS-205 will work as will one for Canon. Håhnel do a cheap one for Canon which also works (it's the one I'm using now). The Pentax IR one I can't get to work for some reason
01-07-2012, 11:55 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your responses. I'll try to grind down the head of the cable releases that I have and see if that works.
01-08-2012, 08:59 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I used a grinder to remove a small amount of the black plastic around the jack and it now fits and works perfectly.

thank you,

Frank
01-18-2012, 01:29 PM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jwoodland Quote
Hey Frank, same problem here. What I did was shave off part of the plastic surrounding the plug until it went in and clicked and now everything works just fine - it was just too fat. I also have the waterproof wireless remote but it does not work in all positions - since it is IR it needs to see the eye on the camera before it will fire - I much prefer the wired release.
I also use a radio remote - a Strobies Delta Remote STR124: Amazon.com: Interfit Strobies STR124 Delta Remote Canon Trigger for Canon Cameras with 2 Cables (Black): Camera & Photo . Theoretically this is for a Canon but it works perfectly with my 645D. The idea of carrying the transmitter around the neck is a great idea.