Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2012, 04:40 PM   #1

645D Shutter Jam?

Purchased a 645D in late October and have been very happy with it. Today however it appears that the shutter has jammed---eg: no images recorded, mirror goes up but shutter does not open. Have tried 3 sd card, fresh battery, reset to factory default, nothing worked. Took off the lens which I dont like doing due to dust to visually see if shutter would open during B setting or 1 sec and would shutter does not open. Am I missing something?

Thoughts? Would really prefer that the problem be a goofy error on my part. Am not wanting to send in for repair if possible.
Have been most happy with the camera--check images at www.markludak.com
Thanks
Mark

01-10-2012, 05:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Take a look and see if you've bumped the Mirror lock-up switch/dial, I'll bet that's it.

I've done ait a few times getting the camera out of the bag, with the shutter, click ...... nothing, what's it waiting for???? D'oh!!

Hope it's something simple like this.
01-10-2012, 06:08 PM   #3

Original Poster
No such luck re: mirror. Will pack it up and ship it out tommorrow.
01-11-2012, 07:21 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
Sorry to hear about that mludak! Warped, I can't tell you how many times I hit that mirror lack switch taking my camera out of the bag and couldn't get it to work. I think it took a good 5,6 times before I started to check that first.

01-12-2012, 02:19 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jimpurcell Quote
Sorry to hear about that mludak! Warped, I can't tell you how many times I hit that mirror lack switch taking my camera out of the bag and couldn't get it to work. I think it took a good 5,6 times before I started to check that first.
Me too!
01-12-2012, 09:07 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks all. I shipped it for overnight delivery (ouch) and hopefully a speedy repair. Was working and then ----nothing image wise----. Have to say Ive never had a shutter fail before so did not suspect it but it definitely does not open when it should. Could be mechanical, electrical, hard to tell these days.
01-12-2012, 08:18 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jimpurcell Quote
The bag/backpack I use has the camera at the top and a velco/elastic strap across the base of the lens, right over the top of the mirror lock up switch. It's so easy to get the strap caught and flick the switch when grabbing the camera out of the bag quickly.

Still catches me out on occasions, but only takes that first "shot" not working to go "D'oh!!" and realise what I've done now.
01-12-2012, 10:03 PM   #8
Pentaxian

You should be able to utilize their "pro" service, no?

01-13-2012, 03:06 PM   #9

Original Poster
Yes, the camera qualifies for an expedited service repair, which is really necessary in this case.
01-13-2012, 04:37 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mludak Quote
Yes, the camera qualifies for an expedited service repair, which is really necessary in this case.
Or, perhaps they can give you a loaner too? Hopefully the repair will not take long . . . . It just worries me because of all the stupid horror stories with K-5 saga. I would very much be interested in your experience with this process to see how "professional" it really is. Thankfully, I have not had any issues with mine so far.. Again, I hope you get your "D" back soon.
01-14-2012, 07:05 AM   #11

Original Poster
It's "in repair" status right now, and I am hoping it is nothing really problematic. Ive been using the camera for 8 weeks and can't imagine its been much of a workout for the camera by real world standards. Not sure why it would fail. Will let you know when I hear more.
01-17-2012, 02:35 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mludak Quote
Thanks all. I shipped it for overnight delivery (ouch) and hopefully a speedy repair. Was working and then ----nothing image wise----. Have to say Ive never had a shutter fail before so did not suspect it but it definitely does not open when it should. Could be mechanical, electrical, hard to tell these days.
Tell us how this works out.
01-23-2012, 01:50 PM   #13

Original Poster
Update on 645D---They are replacing the shutter. Could take two weeks--though read today that the shutter is back ordered. A loaner was offered and will probably take them up on the offer.
Regards
01-23-2012, 03:52 PM   #14
Forum Member

Where did you read about the shutter being back-ordered?
01-24-2012, 07:58 AM   #15

Original Poster
When the camera is in for repair there is a link to the Criscam (?) site which does repair work for Pentax in the United States. When you put in your work order number and your PPS number you are given information regarding the repair status.