Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2012, 10:53 AM   #1

Missed a sweet deal on a 35mm

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Saw this pop up last night... 35mm for $550 which seems to be less than half the going rate. Was sorely tempted but I just shelled out for my 645N and 75mm FA. Will probably regret it later....

Someone snapped it up pretty quick, of course.

Pentax 645 35mm f3.5 super wide medium format lens in excellent condition | eBay

01-11-2012, 11:34 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Only one bid though- maybe because there was no picture? In any case, it's a great lens for sure!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-11-2012, 11:38 AM   #3
Pentaxian

It was a "buy it now" at $550.
01-11-2012, 12:53 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

While I don't have that amount of funds available, that would have been tempting to me as well. I have the 45mm but I want more. Glad I didn't see that price.

01-11-2012, 02:21 PM   #5

Original Poster
No picture but checked his feedback and he sells a lot of 67 and 645 gear. Here's hoping it's not the last one I see at that price (or lower).
01-11-2012, 10:24 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Doesn't eBay require as a matter of protection Sellers to show high quality detail photographs of, in particular, lenses, which also show or quote the serial number?
Of the lenses I have purchased and looked at, each and every one has exemplary images showing the condition. Buying cameras and/or lenses based on a grammatically bad and haphazard description is begging for trouble. With no serial number(s) quoted, no conscientious effort put into describing condition etc., just how sure can you be of what you are buying in the absence of proof?
01-11-2012, 10:50 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street Quote
Doesn't eBay require as a matter of protection Sellers to show high quality detail photographs of, in particular, lenses, which also show or quote the serial number?
Of the lenses I have purchased and looked at, each and every one has exemplary images showing the condition. Buying cameras and/or lenses based on a grammatically bad and haphazard description is begging for trouble. With no serial number(s) quoted, no conscientious effort put into describing condition etc., just how sure can you be of what you are buying in the absence of proof?
You aren't sure of what you are buying. But for the gamble the prices will tend to be lower for lenses with bad descriptions. In most cases, a return is possible.

01-12-2012, 10:07 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got mine for $500 three or four months ago on eBay, and while it was not mint, lens looks clean and takes nice pictures . . . If this was FA35 then it would be a steal, but of corse that will never happen, I suppose.
01-12-2012, 11:21 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
I got mine for $500 three or four months ago on eBay, and while it was not mint, lens looks clean and takes nice pictures . . . If this was FA35 then it would be a steal, but of corse that will never happen, I suppose.

I swapped my FA 35 for the 33-55 and A75. I regret it now as I didn't get a good deal. If you see a shop in Camden Town, keep walking on. I wanted the flexibility of a zoom and was really looking for the 45 - 85 and hold on to the 35 which would have been the best way to go.
01-18-2012, 08:57 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Wow! That is expensive by Tokyo standards. I played with a very nice 35/3.5 today at my favorite shop but passed on it because it was too much for me. The price was 35,000 yen (US$460). Instead I picked up the 55/2.8 on a trade in of an old 645 original body. They gave me a good price for the body so my out of pocket expense ended up being 410 yen ($5)!!
01-18-2012, 03:01 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by revdocjim Quote
Wow! That is expensive by Tokyo standards. I played with a very nice 35/3.5 today at my favorite shop but passed on it because it was too much for me. The price was 35,000 yen (US$460). Instead I picked up the 55/2.8 on a trade in of an old 645 original body. They gave me a good price for the body so my out of pocket expense ended up being 410 yen ($5)!!
I don't think $460 is an outrageous price, in fact, probably a good deal. It's a very good lens
01-19-2012, 06:37 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Oh I know; it's not a bad price at all. I passed simply because I can't afford it.
01-21-2012, 06:12 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Smolk Quote
I don't think $460 is an outrageous price, in fact, probably a good deal. It's a very good lens
Supply and demand I suppose. I know that MF market in Japan (pre 645d) is probably the largest. So I figure there are more of these around in Japan than any where else. Exchange rate plays a role too, I am sure (~78 yen = 1 dollar, I think). The second hand section at Map Camera at Ikebukuro usually has a crap load of MF lenses at great price.
01-21-2012, 11:53 PM   #14

Original Poster
Another one just popped up for $505, which has me tempted but I am now less certain on my wide angle choice. Trying to figure out if I want this one, the Kiev/Arsat 30mm fisheye, or the 45-85 zoom....
01-22-2012, 12:13 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
Supply and demand I suppose. I know that MF market in Japan (pre 645d) is probably the largest. So I figure there are more of these around in Japan than any where else. Exchange rate plays a role too, I am sure (~78 yen = 1 dollar, I think). The second hand section at Map Camera at Ikebukuro usually has a crap load of MF lenses at great price.
Map Camera is known for having one of the most extensive inventories of any used store in Tokyo. But in truth, their prices are notoriously high compared to other used camera stores in Tokyo. My favorites are Sanpou Camera and Fujiya Camera. Smaller inventories so you have to visit frequently, but great prices and very friendly staff.