Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2012, 02:00 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
645 DFA / FA mount interchangability

Can somebody have a gander at the DFA mount vs FA mount. Does it look interchangeable? I know the DFA has SDM conections but are they part of the metal mount or a screw on add in like for the K mount. Pentax repair told me the mount on my K FA* 300 2.8 could be replaced with the weather sealed version by special request. I would be very interested as I think it will be very useful in helping control dust better on the FA's. I am waiting on 645d to be delivered to the US is why I ask. If somebody else is also interested I would be much obliged if you called Pentax repair and asked. I am in Africa; when I tried calling they put me on hold so I hung up. Not going to pay international calling rates to sit on hold for half an hour...

01-18-2012, 11:26 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's practically the same mount- I believe the sdm connectors are built into the mount itself so it doesn't differ from FA on the outside.

Dust gets in when you swap lenses (and is something you have to live with)- so the seal would mostly protect from moisture, if anything, in which case the lens would still suffer since it's not weather-sealed itself.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-19-2012, 08:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks Adam,
Dust gets in through the mount also. You haven't been in a sandstorm in Namibia yet. What I do is keep the lens in AF and use electrical tape to go completley around the focus ring, aperture control, etc. Then for any internal focus prime you are now 99% sealed.

Do you by any chance have a email contact for somebody in Pentax repair you could PM to me so I can email rather than call?
01-25-2012, 09:00 PM   #4
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
CRIS camera repair is the official repair facility for Pentax in the US. Their e-mail address is: customerservice@criscam.com