Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2012, 08:15 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Pentacon 6 to Pentax 645D lens adapter

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I have always had a soft spot in my head for some of the old Zeiss Jena lenses. While using such equipment is far from convenient, Zeiss Jena lenses can impart a certain beauty to portraits and studio photography. I used to do some really good work with a P6 adapter on a 180mm, Zeiss Jena Sonnar adapted to my Canon 5D.

Recently, I have tried to buy an adapter to mount my 180mm Jena lens on my 645D. The first one was from Ukraine and it would not come close to mounting on my Pentax. The second, also from Ukraine, will fit my Pentax, however it doesn't seem to want to fit well on the P6 end and I'm not confident the whole lashup will not come apart in use.

Have any of the rest of this Pentax group had any experience with using Pentacon Sis (6) adapters to fit such lenses to the 645D? If you have, where did you buy the unit?

01-20-2012, 09:31 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The pentacon adapter is not very easy to use.
First I remove the whole (adapter + lens) then if needed I remove the adapter to put it on an other lens.
There is a different blocking machnism on both sides.
I bought it with the lens. But you can find some on ebay.
01-20-2012, 02:54 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
My problem is that the P6 adapter will not lock onto the P6 lens mount. It will fit - loosely.
01-20-2012, 10:29 PM   #4

even if You first place the adapter on the lens, then, while holding the Pentax part of the adapter turning the outer ring counterclockwise (if I remember correct) to fasten the adapter on the P6 bayonet?

-Linus-

01-20-2012, 10:42 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by -Linus- Quote
even if You first place the adapter on the lens, then, while holding the Pentax part of the adapter turning the outer ring counterclockwise (if I remember correct) to fasten the adapter on the P6 bayonet?

-Linus-
Where do you get you P6-Pentax 645D adapter?
01-21-2012, 05:24 AM   #6

Three years ago I bought it via eBay from a ukrainian seller.
On Monday I will have a closer look at the adapter.

-Linus-
01-21-2012, 11:09 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Three years ago I bought it via eBay from a ukrainian seller.
On Monday I will have a closer look at the adapter.

-Linus-
Linus, recently I bought an adapter from a Ukrainian seller who uses the name Grizzly. His product was quite decent looking, but the Pentax side wouldn't work on my 645D.

I returned that and bought a second adapter from another Ukrainian. This one fits both sides, but I can't seem to get the P6 side to lock on the P6 mount lens, My 180mm, Zeiss Jena Sonnar is a big, very heavy lens and I expect to use it in the studio with a tripod. I'd hate to walk away and hear the camera fall off.

I once owned a Pentacon Six and I seem to recall that when the the breech ring secured the lens there was no doubt it was firmly secured. The same thing held true when I used a Jena, 120mm with a Canon 5D - both lens and camera were secure.

I was just wondering if there was a special way of getting the mount to lock on the lens.

Thanks for your thoughts
Jack Casner, Kansas City, Missouri

01-21-2012, 01:04 PM   #8

If you turn the outer ring 90° counterclockwise the Adapter should be fixed on the lens. If not something is wrong with either the adapter or the lens.

-Linus-
01-21-2012, 01:17 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
If you turn the outer ring 90° counterclockwise the Adapter should be fixed on the lens. If not something is wrong with either the adapter or the lens.

-Linus-
Thank you, Linus. I'll give it a shot.
01-24-2012, 04:03 PM   #10

I found this one on eBay:

Pentacon, Kiev 88CM Lens to Pentax 645 Camera Adapter | eBay

I'm a little confused, there seems to be variations of this mount, according to Wikipedia. From what I understand the Kiev 60 is a true Pentacon Six mount whereas the Kiev 88 was a modified version. This listing confuses me a little bit.

I've been looking at getting an Arsat 30mm fisheye and I have seen them for sale advertised as Kiev 60 mount (which I understand to be true Pentacon Six) and also in the Kiev 88 mount, which might actually be a screw mount?

If anyone can shed light on this I would really appreciate it.
01-24-2012, 04:57 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Here is the Wiki link to Kiev 88 and Kiev 88CM: Kiev (brand) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
01-24-2012, 06:33 PM   #12

So if I am figuring this out right....

Kiev 60, 88CM -- Based on Pentacon Six, should be compatible but may not be perfect fit*
Kiev 88 -- Thread mount

*I found this site helpful:
30mm fish-eye lenses for Pentacon Six - Pt 1

QuoteQuote:
In theory, the Kiev 60 is identical to Pentacon Six, although different manufacturing tolerances meant that sometimes there are minor compatibility problems, which can usually be overcome with a file or a screwdriver!
01-24-2012, 06:52 PM   #13
Veteran Member

-Linus-
Yes, that is the correct way to mount any Pentacon 6 adapters to the lens whether they are P6 to P645 or P6 to PK adapters. I have the same problem as the OP with P6 to P645 adapter not mounting properly but as I am shooting my P6 CZJ lenses with my K20D, I had not given the problem any thought. I have a Hartblei made P6-PK adapter and a generic Chinese made P6-PK adapters, and both of them mount and dismount from the lenses without any problem. I've measured the gap between the rotating plate and the 3 breech mount tabs and here are the results:

Hartblei P6-PK Adapter = 2.18mm
Generic P6-PK Adapter = 2.05mm
Generic P6-P645 Adapter = 1.36mm

I guess the solution for me is to somehow widen the gap on the P6-P645 adapter to 2mm or so to make it fit but how this will affect the registration distance and infinity focus, I have no idea. I guess it depends on whether the 3 breech mount tabs are pried open wider or the rotating lock plate moves out but I can't think of anything that I can use to expand the gap evenly at this time. Maybe use increasing numbers of feeler gauges to pry the gap wider ever so slowly?
01-24-2012, 07:01 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by adelorenzo Quote
So if I am figuring this out right....

Kiev 60, 88CM -- Based on Pentacon Six, should be compatible but may not be perfect fit*
Kiev 88 -- Thread mount

*I found this site helpful:
30mm fish-eye lenses for Pentacon Six - Pt 1
I believe there are adapters available for Kiev 88 but I didn't want to be saddled with so many different kinds of adapters that I no longer look at any gear that is marked as Kiev 88 and just stick to Pentacon Six compatibles.
02-14-2012, 11:29 PM   #15
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by adelorenzo Quote
I found this one on eBay:

Pentacon, Kiev 88CM Lens to Pentax 645 Camera Adapter | eBay

I'm a little confused, there seems to be variations of this mount, according to Wikipedia. From what I understand the Kiev 60 is a true Pentacon Six mount whereas the Kiev 88 was a modified version. This listing confuses me a little bit.

I've been looking at getting an Arsat 30mm fisheye and I have seen them for sale advertised as Kiev 60 mount (which I understand to be true Pentacon Six) and also in the Kiev 88 mount, which might actually be a screw mount?

If anyone can shed light on this I would really appreciate it.
Just don't buy anything that doesn't indicate it will handle Pentacon 6 or Kiev 60 lenses. Some Kiev 88 cameras have the Pentacon 6/Kiev 60 mount and some do not.