Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2012, 02:11 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What film is this?

Hi, got these two rolls with an old camera. Can you identify what brand it is?
I want to make sure it is not some exotic films, cos I probably will waste some film as I learn shooting with film....

One of my friend suggest old Neopan, another suggest Efke.
I know I can find out if I open it, but rather not open it until I really want to use them...

Thanks!

Lee

01-22-2012, 02:24 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I don't know specifically, but the label 'safety film' suggests it is very old. That terminology was used for a time to differentiate the film from older technology that was flammable. Modern films are on a cellulose acetate base (or similar) where as older stuff was on a nitrate base (which was phased out, generally speaking, I think in the 1950s - can someone be more precise?). During (and for a while after) the transition, this was considered a benefit worth mentioning, but since that happened many years ago, it hasn't been mentioned on any film I have seen for a very long time. The last time I recall seeing it was in the 1970s (but I can't be precise and practice probably varied by brand and part of the world).

Sorry I can't actually identify the film itself, but this does indicate it is very old. Especially if the film is faster, it may have fogging and certainly loss of speed/contrast. For such films, a generous exposure combined with development in Microphen (and perhaps adding an anti-fogging agent) may be advisable. But if would help you to have a base of info. to go on by knowing what film it is of course.

Good luck!

(P.S. You might consider keeping the film as it is, in the wrapper, since it is an old artefact - and may be more interesting as such than actually as film)
01-22-2012, 02:48 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks Ed! Very informative. It's nice to know these background knowledge.

I'll take your advise and keep them as it is (but still very interested to know what brand they are)... the "made in Belgium" may give more clue?
01-22-2012, 02:57 PM   #4
Pentaxian

In Belgium there was a film producer called Gevaert. They merged with Agfa somewhere along the line. So it might be an old Gevaert roll of film

01-22-2012, 04:40 PM   #5
Site Supporter

and btw, the nitrate films did not have a nitrate base (it was usually acetate, now mostly polyester), but was a silver nitrate emulsion. Still ver flammable! You know, like those nitrate fertilizers!

I would also point to the film being a Gevaert film. If you do a clip test you might be able to determine its original speed. Developing for an Agfa Pan emulsion might be a good starting point.

keeping it for hysterical purposes is also an option!

regards,
01-22-2012, 04:44 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I am intrigued by the question of whether the nitrate was the base or the emulsion. This link seems to suggest it was in the base:
Film base - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
01-22-2012, 06:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Maybe an early Afga film if coming from Belgium: does it have any expiry date on it anywhere? Not Efke; that comes from the Czech Republic.No harm in opening now; just re-seal thoroughly with tape.
01-23-2012, 03:06 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Hmm, then there were TWO areas to use the nitrates. Nitrate in the base AND emulsion! It puts a different spin on the idea of a "hot image"!!

Either way, it is safety film (and BTW, many films from Kodak, Ilford, Agfa and others all had "Safety Film" delineated on the film itself after it was processed. Most still do so it can be easily ID'd I would suspect).

Regards,