Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2012, 12:47 PM   #1

Cable release for pentax 67

I did search and found 1 post regarding this on the forum, but it didn't really answer all my questions.
So here goes ... pls pardon my ignorance as I'm a newbie.

1. Are there any generic old cable release that I can use with the the 67 ?
I'm planning to go around some used camera shops in Toronto, Canada.

So I was wondering what exactly to look for ? what are they called ?

2. If I get hold of a leaf shuttered lens, how does the cable release going to work ?

Again I'm very great full to all answers/advice.

Thanks in advance,

Rajith

01-31-2012, 01:14 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I may be mistaken but I believe that any old cable release should work. I've been able to use my father's old ones from his Minolta / Rollie equipment very well. If you are worried, take the camera with you to the shops and try them out. AFAIK they are simply called 'cable releases.' I have a short one (about 9 inches) and a longer one (6 feet) for different uses. They should have a screw set pin to screw tight to hold the shutter open for long exposures.

I can't really help on the LS lenses. I have one for my 645 film camera and the camera knows what it is and when (or not) to use it. There may be something similar in the 67 camera but I've not studied it.

Edit: A simple search on Ebay with cable release as the keyword turned up lots of them. As long as the thing screws in it should work.

Last edited by blackcloudbrew; 01-31-2012 at 01:20 PM.
01-31-2012, 01:33 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks a lot blackcloudbrew for your answer !
01-31-2012, 04:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any generic threaded release will work.
As for the LS lenses...
The 90/2.8 and 165/4 differ slightly in use.

I believe the 165/4 works only one way.
Plug a strobe into sync socket, set camera shutter to 1/30s or slower, set lens shutter to desired speed, cock camera shutter, cock lens shutter, when the camera shutter is fired it will in turn fire lens shutter which will fire strobe at correct time.
You must use 1/30s or slower on camera so the shutter is fully open when lens shutter and strobe fire.

The 90/2.8 LS works this same way except it has a special U/S switch. When the switch is in U (usual) position, it will behave like the 165/4. When the switch is in the S (special) position, you have to use a cable release to manually fire the lens shutter after the camera shutter is locked open in Bulb or T mode. This is handy for vibration free photos.

02-01-2012, 07:39 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thx Swift1, that was very helpful.

Rajith
02-01-2012, 05:13 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Actually, for 6x7 leaf shutter lenses, you set the camera's shutter speed to 1/8th or slower. And the 90mm LS has to have the camera put in that special "hidden" mode between X sync and 1/1000 to lock open the shutter on a 6x7/67 to use the 90mm in pure leaf shutter mode with the cable release connected to the lens. I have both the 165mm LS and 90mm LS lenses.

Last edited by tuco; 02-01-2012 at 05:21 PM.