Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2012, 08:35 AM   #1
Junior Member




Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Upstate NY
Photos: Albums
Posts: 25
Lines On 645N Negatives

Hi,
Does anyone have ideas as to what could be causing lines to appear on my P645N negatives? (These were home developed and scanned with an Epson Perfection 3200.) Details relevant to the negative appear above each picture.

Frame #2 1/15 f2.8 Tmax400 Tmax Dev 1:4 A-75mm



(Different roll) Frame #4 1/30 f2.8 Tmax400 HC-110(b) Dev FA-75mm


I'm thinking that this could be back-related... but I don't record which back shoots which roll of film. (I currently have two backs for the camera.)

Rick

02-07-2012, 09:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2011
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 573
It looks like you are not pouring in all your developer at one time. You add some to the tank, stop, and then add more?
02-07-2012, 09:26 AM   #3
Junior Member




Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Upstate NY
Photos: Albums
Posts: 25
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Yamanobori Quote
It looks like you are not pouring in all your developer at one time. You add some to the tank, stop, and then add more?
Nope. It all goes in at the same time. Takes me about five seconds to add and/or remove the developer from the tank.

I'd thought about that, but if I added the developer to the tank incorrectly, wouldn't all of the shots on the roll show the same line?

Rick
02-07-2012, 10:16 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
blackcloudbrew's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cotati, California USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,782
Just to check, do the negatives look that way or do the images from the scanned negatives look that way?

I ask this because I have an Epsom 3170(or 80ish) scanner that I get lines in my negative scans at high scanning resolution. It's the scanner not the negatives. I haven't seen your problem with my gear but it occurs to me that you don't indicate whether the line is on the negatives or scanned image.

02-07-2012, 10:49 AM   #5
New Member
desertglow's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 19
Looks like a scanning problem. Maybe too much resolution set and the software buffers can't handle it .
02-07-2012, 11:20 AM   #6
Junior Member




Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Upstate NY
Photos: Albums
Posts: 25
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by desertglow Quote
Looks like a scanning problem. Maybe too much resolution set and the software buffers can't handle it .

The line is definitely on the negatives, not introduced during scanning:

02-07-2012, 11:37 AM   #7
New Member
desertglow's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 19
So.. not a scanning problem, not a processing problem (only right frame has the line, and the line is too perfect for a light leak).
The only thing that I can think of is an inconsistent travelling speed of the shutter curtain. For some reason it might change speed from half the frame on. Just a guess, I don't even know if the travelling direction of the 645 shutter is consistent with the lines.

Last edited by desertglow; 02-07-2012 at 11:46 AM.
02-07-2012, 11:40 AM   #8
Site Supporter
ironlionzion's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 409
When you pour the developer in the tank, are u making sure you are filling the tank all the way up?

02-07-2012, 11:54 AM   #9
Junior Member




Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Upstate NY
Photos: Albums
Posts: 25
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ironlionzion Quote
When you pour the developer in the tank, are u making sure you are filling the tank all the way up?
Yes, the correct amount of developer / stop / fix / hypo is used when processing the negatives.
02-07-2012, 11:57 AM   #10
Junior Member




Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Upstate NY
Photos: Albums
Posts: 25
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by desertglow Quote
So.. not a scanning problem, not a processing problem (only right frame has the line, and the line is too perfect for a light leak).
The only thing that I can think of is an inconsistent travelling speed of the shutter curtain. For some reason it might change speed from half the frame on. Just a guess, I don't even know if the travelling direction of the 645 shutter is consistent with the lines.
That may be it.

Anyone know if the shutter travels up/down or left/right (or right/left) on a P645?

(I have an unfinished roll in mine right now or I'd check.)

If the shutter moves from left to right (or vice versa) it would be consistent with the line on the negatives - given the manner in which the film is loaded.

R
02-07-2012, 12:30 PM   #11
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2011
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 573
I might say it is a sticky shutter curtain as well.
02-07-2012, 12:32 PM   #12
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2011
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 573
QuoteOriginally posted by ironlionzion Quote
When you pour the developer in the tank, are u making sure you are filling the tank all the way up?
JFYI, you don't want to fill the tank to the top. just to the top of the film. A full tank can lead to uneven processing with SS reels.
02-08-2012, 10:45 PM   #13
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,158
QuoteOriginally posted by Yamanobori Quote
A full tank can lead to uneven processing with SS reels.
Please explain. I have been using SS reels for years and while I don't fill to the top (I pour by volume based on the nominal capacity of the tank), I can't say I have ever heard that there was any particular hazard with SS vs. plastic reels and over-filling.



Steve
02-08-2012, 10:52 PM   #14
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,158
QuoteOriginally posted by rpsez Quote
That may be it.

Anyone know if the shutter travels up/down or left/right (or right/left) on a P645?

(I have an unfinished roll in mine right now or I'd check.)

If the shutter moves from left to right (or vice versa) it would be consistent with the line on the negatives - given the manner in which the film is loaded.

R
Vertical travel cloth shutter on the 645N. Normally sticky shutter has a bit of a stutter to it, though I suspect it is the cause of your pain. If the camera is a recent purchase, you may have reason to contact the seller. In any case, this is probably easily fixable with a CLA.


Steve
02-09-2012, 05:34 AM   #15
Junior Member




Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Upstate NY
Photos: Albums
Posts: 25
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Vertical travel cloth shutter on the 645N. Normally sticky shutter has a bit of a stutter to it, though I suspect it is the cause of your pain. If the camera is a recent purchase, you may have reason to contact the seller. In any case, this is probably easily fixable with a CLA.


Steve
Not a recent purchase - my wife bought me this body for Chrismas 2010 from KEH.

I emailed Eric to make sure he handles the 645N. He does although he doesn't stock parts for the 645N and (if needed) they can take up to a month to get from Pentax.

That said, he's done a K1000 SE and a Spotmatic CLA for me before and I've got nothing but praise for his work.

Off to Eric this beast goes!

Thanks for everyone's help on this 'whodunit'.

R

Last edited by rpsez; 02-09-2012 at 05:47 AM. Reason: Correct the punctuation.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dev, f2.8, frame, lines, medium format, negatives, roll
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scanning photos and negatives Capslock118 Film Processing, Scanning, and Darkroom 22 12-27-2010 01:20 AM
ARRGH!! Help with curled negatives please! ismaelg Film Processing, Scanning, and Darkroom 6 11-08-2010 07:43 PM
How to clean negatives for scanning? ismaelg Film Processing, Scanning, and Darkroom 39 09-14-2010 11:35 AM
Need help with VueScan and color negatives klh Film Processing, Scanning, and Darkroom 5 08-20-2010 02:18 PM
Old slides and negatives Gene Temple Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 12 03-01-2010 06:25 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:16 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top