Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2012, 11:21 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can I get this style in post-processing?

Hi all, really like the bright, simple, summer like pictures that this photographer used:

See all his other work here:
Pentax 67II #2 - a set on Flickr

I asked in other forum how to get this 'style' in post-process but was told this can only achieve with large format like the Pentax 6x7 (which is what this guy is using). I just wonder if this is true? If it is, how can I replicate this style? what film is he using?

Thanks!

02-07-2012, 11:39 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This looks like it would be fairly easy to accomplish via the shadow/highlight tool in photoshop.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-07-2012, 11:40 PM   #3

if you mean the depth of field then you will need a similar lens/sensor combo or equivalent to match this. Obviously the 6x7 has a very shallow DOF wide open. As far as the colour treatment and lighting, you can get all of this and more digitally if you control your highlights and bounce enough light in to fill up the shadows.
02-07-2012, 11:48 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think you can get close. If you want the colors, I would say the results you see are mostly the use of some overexposure, the color response from Kodak Portra and a well calibrated scanner. As for the brightness, they might have used a reflector to kill the shadows, I believe.

If you can find me the spec sheet for Portra I can make a color curve preset for Aperture, but just as an example, here's attached one using a preset for Kodachrome. So you have a lot of room to play with the colours on PP to try and emulate film.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 

Last edited by hcarvalhoalves; 02-08-2012 at 12:10 AM.
02-08-2012, 04:10 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A pentax 50mm f/1.2 could produce DOF that shallow on a half length portrait, though at the right subject to background distance even an f/2 lens could do it.

This pic has roughly thre same proportions to the one you posted and it was taken at f/2
- if I took this with the aperture at f/1.2 the background would have been substantially blurrier.

Last edited by Digitalis; 02-08-2012 at 04:23 AM.
02-08-2012, 08:17 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
Hi all, really like the bright, simple, summer like pictures that this photographer used:

I asked in other forum how to get this 'style' in post-process but was told this can only achieve with large format like the Pentax 6x7 (which is what this guy is using). I just wonder if this is true? If it is, how can I replicate this style? what film is he using?

Thanks!
It says right on is Flickr page he is using Portra 400. Grab your old legacy camera, load it up and start shooting. The shot was taken with the 105mm f2.4. As noted by others, a 50mm f1.2 or f1.4 on a 135 format camera can achieve similar shallow DOF.