Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2012, 06:47 AM   #91
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Coeurdechene Quote
Remember: the d800 has about the same pixel pitch as the k5, the size of the pixels is very similar...have you got problems with camera shake on your k5? if you haven't you will not have them on the d800.
Also Camera shake is much more visible if viewed at 100%...if your viewing size is small you won't see more camera shake than with a 12MP sensor...Camera shake negates some of the advantage of the high resolution but it does not make things worse than with lower MP cameras. Bottom line if you want to fully profit from the higher resolution you got to use a faster shutter speed or a tripod. If you don't need huge prints you can still use the d800 as it was a d700 and get good results for a moderate print size.
I agree with all of that. I use a 30" monitor and I see all of my gremlins at work on screen. The temptation to zoom right in on a 36mpx image would certainly show any problems that exist though. And remember that a wider view (FF) would also show up any rotational movements of the camera beyond that of a crop format due to the extra field of view out to the corners. The further you get away from the center of rotation the larger the recorded movement.

03-16-2012, 08:18 AM   #92
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
On the chance of asking the stupidest question of the year:

Can you put a filter on the lens that has the function of a missing AA filter?
Don't think so although there are soften filters but those blur too heavy.

You can deal with moire in PP though.
Filter > Noise > Median is often use, it adds pixels/noise that break the pattern.
But you can also use blur or even unsharp mask.
03-16-2012, 08:43 AM   #93
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
The D800 doesn't have in-body image stabilisation so that is a bit of a pointless comparison
Forgot that ...true...mmm...then just turn NR off and try! In body image stabilization is a big + for pentax, it tends to be overlooked. The comparison would be fair with the d7000, and i haven't heard so much ranting from the users of that camera, although they sometimes say they needed to revise/improve their handholding technique.
03-23-2012, 05:12 PM   #94
Forum Member

If numbers mean anything, which is more scientific than speculating on a forum, then the Nikon 800 sensor just creamed the Pentax 645D by the score of 95 to 82 in DxOMark tests. Though it still needs to be tested with lens, I can't see it not holding up given Nikon's fine glass like the 14-24mm.

03-23-2012, 08:28 PM   #95
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by chicagonature Quote
If numbers mean anything, which is more scientific than speculating on a forum, then the Nikon 800 sensor just creamed the Pentax 645D by the score of 95 to 82 in DxOMark tests. Though it still needs to be tested with lens, I can't see it not holding up given Nikon's fine glass like the 14-24mm.
You do understand just by the Nikon having ISOs greater than 1600 it would get a "better" overall score. It also has better DR. You can find a comparison images at DPreview and Photo Resource. The Nikon "creamed" the Phase One IQ180, too. So I guess the D800 will "bury" that camera as well.

I am glad you have found the camera to suit your needs. It is a great match for you. Surely you will get better feedback in the Nikon forums.
03-23-2012, 10:09 PM   #96
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Yamanobori Quote
You do understand just by the Nikon having ISOs greater than 1600 it would get a "better" overall score. It also has better DR. You can find a comparison images at DPreview and Photo Resource. The Nikon "creamed" the Phase One IQ180, too. So I guess the D800 will "bury" that camera as well.

I am glad you have found the camera to suit your needs. It is a great match for you. Surely you will get better feedback in the Nikon forums.

Touchy, touchy.
03-23-2012, 10:11 PM   #97
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Yamanobori Quote
no reason to bite someone's head off, as we all know some people tend to take DXO's ratings as gospel. Personally I think that is taking things way too far - they are just numbers. Numbers alone to not create a good image, it is always the person behind the camera that makes the most difference.
03-24-2012, 12:15 AM   #98
Site Supporter

Nevertheless, D800's DxO figures are unexpectedly stellar, almost incredible in my opinion (compare to D4...).

03-24-2012, 03:30 AM   #99
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
almost incredible in my opinion
Yep those are incredible sensors... but we shouldn't get too exited about them...having one big company with a big technological advancement is never good for consumers..let's hope the knowledge gets pretty fast to other sensor producers and that they are able to get similar performance, and better still lets hope someone like Samsung makes a good leap forward with something. It's an oligopoly so we're partially f***** already so let's hope they do not form a cartel and that they continue to compete (small actors are necessary to prevent the big bad ones from agreeing to blow us dry).

QuoteOriginally posted by chicagonature Quote
then the Nikon 800 sensor just creamed the Pentax 645D by the score of 95 to 82 in DxOMark tests
Yep...although that's an overall score, and obiously the d800 beated the crap out of the 645D in high ISO...the 645D still reproduces more detail...and the bokeh, Dof,....are still different. What Nikon has done is not "creaming" the medium format but they have released a camera that may reduce the incentive to invest in it. MF, exept for the high 60-80 MP range, will have to react somehow to keep it's "low level", "entry" models as a viable and cost effective option.
03-24-2012, 03:41 AM   #100
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
no reason to bite someone's head off, as we all know some people tend to take DXO's ratings as gospel. Personally I think that is taking things way too far - they are just numbers. Numbers alone to not create a good image, it is always the person behind the camera that makes the most difference.
There's every reason when he comes on here just to stir things up. He has a bad attitude and a sense of entitlement. His comment 'creamed' smacks of Nikon fanboism and borders on trolling. If you come on to a Pentax forum and post like that then its trolling. Plenty of it going on on the Canon sites. Yet noone has a D800 in their hands yet.

Besides lab tests leave me cold. It's not all about numbers as I've said from the start.
03-24-2012, 04:02 AM   #101
Forum Member

..Yet noone has a D800 in their hands yet...

There were quite a few D800s delivered in the US to NPS members and small camera shops on Thursday and Friday - even Best Buy stores all over the country had them starting on Thursday. Kind of an odd situation right now with all the Amazon orders being a couple of days late. So there are lots of D800s in use already...I plan to use mine for ultra-wide, telephoto, and pinpoint star images, and the 645D for everything else - I can't think of a better combo...
03-24-2012, 04:13 AM   #102
Veteran Member

There is no doubt that the Nikon D800 is a pure bargain based on resolution numbers. If that was all we were talking about sure thing the Nikon beats the Pentax due to similar numbers a price difference. From what I have seen at standard 100-200 ISO they look similar. The comparisons of the 645D and D800 at high ISO the 645D is an easy win.
Nikon D800 Hands-on Preview: Digital Photography Review
Although neither one of these is really designed as a high ISO camera it is nice to be able to bump the ISO and use a little faster shutter speed to keep the wind from blurring the grass, etc.

The real killer for these cameras though is lenses. Yes both companies make or have made excellent lenses. But the lenses for the D800 have to be even sharper than any lens for the 645D because they are trying to pull the same information out of a smaller image circle. I already have my 645 glass now so I am buying into the 645D. To switch to nikon and buy the best of the best glass to use would set me back more than the 645D even if I sold all the 645 glass (which I would never do because I still have me 645N). You can't just buy the D800 and through a couple cheep $700 lenses on it. Nikon knows this and probably sees it as a way to get everybody to buy into new versions of glass allowing the body to sell a bit cheaper.
03-24-2012, 06:09 AM   #103

If you look at DXOreport one of the categories they rate the camera in is ISO capabilities and thats were the 645 lacks and the D800 shines and probably why the high rating, high dynamic range, high ISO and 36 mp....Is it as good as the 645D I do not know.
03-24-2012, 07:11 AM   #104
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mrclark321 Quote
If you look at DXOreport one of the categories they rate the camera in is ISO capabilities and thats were the 645 lacks and the D800 shines and probably why the high rating, high dynamic range, high ISO and 36 mp....
I don't care what DXO says about ISO that is too much a numbers game and a calculation. Look at the two 100% crops from dpreview at ISO 1600 side by side tell me which is more appealing the 645D and D800 thats how I make conclusions... Sure the D800 allows you to set ISO higher than the usable range. From most all reports on the 645D it is still quite usable at its upper limit with a more appealing noise... Regardless both are amazing cameras, something we never concieved 10years ago. I still consider buying the D800 and 14-24 lens to supplement the wide side and provide a backup body which I can mount all my 645 glass onto. But I don't see the D800 replacing medium format.
03-24-2012, 08:56 AM   #105
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The fact the the D800 goes above 1600 will give it a better score when the ISO performance is for the most part identical.