Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2012, 12:12 PM   #121
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by larkis Quote
This very ironic since the intended use of the 645D is firmly on a tripod.
??? When Pentax designed the 645 camera, they clearly had handholding in mind. There is nothing about the 645D that suggests it is a "tripod" camera--a Sinar monorail is, so is the Linhof C679. But the Pentax belongs to the legion of medium-format cameras that were designed to be held. The 645D is very comfortable in the hand, no surprise there, and very good for street photography--I did some in Tokyo last November. However, the dual tripod sockets make it very good for tripod mounting.

05-27-2012, 12:14 PM   #122
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Btw, what Lens(es) do you use with it in this exercice ?
I use the A 35mm and D FA 55mm. (If the question was directed at me.)
05-27-2012, 12:49 PM   #123
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Yamanobori Quote
I use the A 35mm and D FA 55mm. (If the question was directed at me.)
Yes, thank you
05-27-2012, 01:57 PM   #124

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Yamanobori Quote
??? When Pentax designed the 645 camera, they clearly had handholding in mind. There is nothing about the 645D that suggests it is a "tripod" camera--a Sinar monorail is, so is the Linhof C679. But the Pentax belongs to the legion of medium-format cameras that were designed to be held. The 645D is very comfortable in the hand, no surprise there, and very good for street photography--I did some in Tokyo last November. However, the dual tripod sockets make it very good for tripod mounting.
Two tripod sockets suggests to me it's intended for tripod use more than it is intended for hand held shooting yet it is much better for hand held shooting than the nikon's as far as ergonomics go. Maybe my post was over stating the tripod intent of the system but anyone shooting landscape/outdoor (most likely the target market) will be on a tripod if they want to actually get 40mp out of the sensor.

Anyway, having shot large format for a while the approach that should be taken with both for an optimal image is not that different. I love the handing on the 645D and it's a lot of fun to shoot handheld.

05-27-2012, 03:08 PM   #125

Two tripod sockets suggests to me it's intended for tripod use more than it is intended for hand held shooting yet it is much better for hand held shooting than the nikon's as far as ergonomics go. Maybe my post was over stating the tripod intent of the system but anyone shooting landscape/outdoor (most likely the target market) will be on a tripod if they want to actually get 40mp out of the sensor.

Anyway, having shot large format for a while the approach that should be taken with both for an optimal image is not that different. I love the handing on the 645D and it's a lot of fun to shoot handheld.
Generally you're only going to use one tripod socket at a time, so two tripod sockets doesn't mean it belongs on a tripod more than any other camera.
What makes the Pentax 645s unique is that they figured out that some photographers might want to actually take a VERTICAL picture mounted on a tripod or a flash bracket.
05-27-2012, 03:46 PM   #126
Veteran Member

I think the two tripod socket thing was just a brilliant insight on the designer's part--why not sick one on the side, nothing else there. It was not the first time a camera had two tripod sockets, but it was for that period/type camera, at least as far as I know. (I have seen/used flatbed view cameras with two tripod sockets.) It was something that defined the 645 series bodies. I am glad they kept it on the 645D as I have found it really useful. Of course, RRS does not sell as many right-angle brackets...

Personally, I think the difficulty of hand holding this camera and getting all the detail out of the sensor is overstated. The camera for my landscape work in usually in my hand, including for stitched panorama. But likewise, you are not going to be coin' the one-handed cell phone thing with it either.
05-27-2012, 05:32 PM   #127
Pentaxian

I love the handling of the 645D (still waiting for mine to come back from Japan and missing it like mad!) I also love the way it has two tripod sockets, but it is a great camera to hold in the hand.

05-27-2012, 07:37 PM   #128

QuoteOriginally posted by jwoodland Quote
I made a few test shots today with my D800 and 645D - a landscape scene with good light and great fine edge detail - forest scenes, some close, some a mile away. One of my favorite 645 lenses is the FA 80-160, and so I put it up against one of my favorite Nikon lenses, the 70-200 VRII - images were zoomed to similar field of view for the test images (using big tripod, cube head, mirror up with cable release, etc. - my normal way to shoot). I bought the Nikon to do ultrawides and long telephoto work with (which I can't do with the Pentax), but was secretly hoping the Nikon would also do well with normal-range lenses up against the Pentax so I could consider becoming a one-camera guy again (and selling the Pentax). I was a bit surprised by the outcome - the Pentax files were clearly sharper/better than the Nikon files (no post processing done to either, just run through ACR to open). I will shoot more tests in the days to come, but my early opinion is that for my landscape work I will need both camera systems to cover my needs to get the best image files. The Pentax files really are very sweet...
Any update ?
05-28-2012, 04:17 AM   #129

Here is the link to the camera plates from Really Right Stuff, much better system than using the L bracket and more affordable. Really Right Stuff - Item Listing
Since selling my 645D I have a couple for sale if anyone is interested.

Dan
05-28-2012, 06:43 AM   #130
Forum Member

<<Any update ?>>

Nothing to update on my side - I continue to use the Niikon 800E for high ISO, ultra wide, and long images, and use the Pentax for everything else. The Pentax files remain as sweet as they were when the Niikon first came out, and the Nikon files have not gotten any better, ha, ha! I'm pretty happy using both camera systems for now...
05-28-2012, 07:16 AM   #131
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mrclark321 Quote
Here is the link to the camera plates from Really Right Stuff, much better system than using the L bracket and more affordable. Really Right Stuff - Item Listing
Since selling my 645D I have a couple for sale if anyone is interested.

Dan
Hi Dan, can you tell us what is needed to fix your quick-plate on any ball-headed tripod ?
Is this one OK :
http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=B2-40-LR-1/4-20&type=3&eq=...0-screw&key=it

Last edited by Zygonyx; 05-28-2012 at 09:06 AM.
05-28-2012, 10:10 AM   #132

QuoteOriginally posted by jwoodland Quote
<<Any update ?>>

Nothing to update on my side - I continue to use the Niikon 800E for high ISO, ultra wide, and long images, and use the Pentax for everything else. The Pentax files remain as sweet as they were when the Niikon first came out, and the Nikon files have not gotten any better, ha, ha! I'm pretty happy using both camera systems for now...
jwoodland, Have you tried using any of your Pentax 645 glass on the Nikon? If so what adapter are you using. I'm currently looking for one..but some have a actuating lever that allows stopping down the Penatx lens aperture, others don't and the lens has to be shot wide open. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Dave (D&A)
05-28-2012, 10:50 AM   #133
Forum Member

Never tried that Dave.
05-28-2012, 11:49 AM   #134

QuoteOriginally posted by DandA Quote
jwoodland, Have you tried using any of your Pentax 645 glass on the Nikon? If so what adapter are you using. I'm currently looking for one..but some have a actuating lever that allows stopping down the Penatx lens aperture, others don't and the lens has to be shot wide open. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Dave (D&A)
I tried the Pentax Glass on 5D MK2, there focal lengths didnt make sense to me compared to the Canon focals, the FA45-85 at 55 equals the canon 50mm 1.8 with some chromatic on the edges, the FA 120 was sharper and better contrast then the Canon 70-200 f4 IS L at the 120mm setting and equal to the Tamron 90 f2.8 Macro with the Tamron going blue a bit because of the glass formula, i think the Pentax glass is good on both the 5D and 645D due to there close Pixel size (6.0 645D vs 6.4 5D), i am not 100% sure of my findings because of memory..lol , its been few months and i am far from home to go back check them on my desktop PC.

i don't see using MF glass on new 35mm DSLR make a use unless you miss a focal length u dont have in your 35mm bag and u have it in your MF bag and again you need to test it to see if the glass formula do good on Digital Sensors
05-28-2012, 03:08 PM   #135

QuoteOriginally posted by Abdallah Quote
I tried the Pentax Glass on 5D MK2, there focal lengths didnt make sense to me compared to the Canon focals, the FA45-85 at 55 equals the canon 50mm 1.8 with some chromatic on the edges, the FA 120 was sharper and better contrast then the Canon 70-200 f4 IS L at the 120mm setting and equal to the Tamron 90 f2.8 Macro with the Tamron going blue a bit because of the glass formula, i think the Pentax glass is good on both the 5D and 645D due to there close Pixel size (6.0 645D vs 6.4 5D), i am not 100% sure of my findings because of memory..lol , its been few months and i am far from home to go back check them on my desktop PC.

i don't see using MF glass on new 35mm DSLR make a use unless you miss a focal length u dont have in your 35mm bag and u have it in your MF bag and again you need to test it to see if the glass formula do good on Digital Sensors
Thanks to you both for replying. Due to the requirements of medium format glass when used with medium format film or digital cameras, I didn't expect exceptional performance with every lens tried. There are those times though when a unique or particular focal length.might be useful on the 645D and also when only one set of lenses are practical to take but a back-up body is needed..therefor the occasional time the D800 might be an emergency back-up to the 645D.

Dave (D&A)