Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2012, 10:39 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax 645

I have an older Pentax 645 camera that used to be my father's. I've never used it, nor do I have any documentation for it. He used it quite a bit and I never heard of him having any trouble with it.

I loaded it with six fresh AA batteries and turned it on. The liquid-chrystal display near the eyepiece came on, but a few seconds later it went out, even though the on-off switch was still on.

Pushing the shutter release didn't do anything; the camera didn't fire.

There's no film in the camera.

Does the camera seem to be behaving normally? (Should it fire even though there's no film in the back? And should the display stay turned on?)

I don't know anyone who knows anything about this camera. Nor to I have any film to see if the camera behaves differently when loaded.

Thank you very much.

-- Mike Truffer
Florida

02-08-2012, 10:44 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try taking the back off- then it should fire, I think.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-08-2012, 10:55 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Pentax 645

Thanks, Adam. I'll report back.

--Mike

P.S. And thanks for the super-quick reply.
02-08-2012, 11:02 AM   #4
Site Supporter

If you download a pentax 645 manual, you will find many answers to your questions........downloads in pdf format Cliff

Pentax 645 | 645 Manual

02-08-2012, 12:05 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hmm...the LCD display should always be on once batteries are loaded with or with out the on switch on. I don't think it will fire with out something in the back. For mine, I have a plastic insert for the back that tells the camera film is loaded so it can fire. But clearly the LCD going out is a concern.
02-10-2012, 09:01 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
An update: Per the manual (funny how reading the manual helps!), the 645's shutter will operate without any film in the camera if the film holder is removed from the camera. The C/S switch should be set on S, too, the manual says, to avoid complications.

Anyway, camera seems to be operating fine, although I haven't checked everything..

I appreciate everyone's help with this. Have a good weekend. -- Mike