Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2012, 10:25 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Best memory Card for 645D SDHC vs. SDXC?

Given the relatively slow write/review speed of the 645D (compared to my current camera: 5D mark II), I'm wondering what's the best SD card choice? It seems the SDXC cards are meant more for HD video, with the largest capacities, but currently slower write speed. Am I correct in this belief?

Also, is there a point where the read/write speed of the card is irrelevant when considering it for use with the 645D?

I'm looking for the card(s) that will perform the best, with price being less of a consideration (unless it costs less and has the same performance).

I don't mind carrying more SD cards with me, as long as they are fast to read/write, it's not like they take up much space or weight in the camera bag! I do mostly landscape photography and sometimes spend a fair amount of time hiking and on the road, so I'd probably want to be able to shoot at least 1000 RAW images before backing up.

One more thing: I like to backup my files sometimes before heading home (just in case of "who knows what"). With the dual card slots in the 645D, is it possible to just have one or two fast cards for use while shooting, and then have several cheap and slower cards that I backup my data onto after shooting each day or so? It would be nice to leave the laptop and portable hard drive at home, especially when flying!

I searched previous threads on this, but they all seemed over a year old, so with advances in technology I assumed they could be dated.

your input is appreciated!

02-20-2012, 10:49 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I am not sure the card will make a big difference in the write speed.

I set the card slots to copy each image to both cards. I simply use the PNY Professional line and have two sets of two cards for shooting. That is simply the backup I have in the field. I have never tried to copy from one card to another. I think it is simply easier to make a backup when I shoot. The PNY cards are not that expensive and seem to be reliable.
02-20-2012, 11:12 AM   #3
Banned

Well I guess that the use of SanDisk PRO cards 45MB/s are your best choice (or the newer faster once). I think that 32GB cards is your choice for the amount of pictures to take. They should hold 600 RAW or maybe a little more.
02-20-2012, 11:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Yamanobori Quote
I am not sure the card will make a big difference in the write speed.

I set the card slots to copy each image to both cards. I simply use the PNY Professional line and have two sets of two cards for shooting. That is simply the backup I have in the field. I have never tried to copy from one card to another. I think it is simply easier to make a backup when I shoot. The PNY cards are not that expensive and seem to be reliable.

Will copying to both cards at once cause a significant slowing in the review speed? In most cases it's not a big deal, but sometimes when the light is changing quickly, it's nice to be able to make a quick review of the histogram and adjust accordingly...before clouds move too much or light changes, in the case I'm considering an HDR afterwards, or manual blending of images.

02-20-2012, 12:06 PM   #5
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Ryan Tischer Quote
Will copying to both cards at once cause a significant slowing in the review speed? In most cases it's not a big deal, but sometimes when the light is changing quickly, it's nice to be able to make a quick review of the histogram and adjust accordingly...before clouds move too much or light changes, in the case I'm considering an HDR afterwards, or manual blending of images.
Well be prepared to have a slow camera in your hands (compared to your 5D Mk II).
02-20-2012, 12:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
RonHendriks1966,

I'm fine with the slower processing and etc. of the 645D (a welcome sacrifice for twice the res of the 5D II) as I'm shooting landscapes and not action, I'm just trying to discern the best SD card option to maximize the speed of the camera.
02-20-2012, 01:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ryan Tischer Quote
It has not bothered me--you can always try it. As far as I know the copying is parallel so you are not doubling the delay. It is certainly better than finding your card is corrupt later like I did with a Fuji card once. You can also use the digital preview function.

02-20-2012, 01:15 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Yamanobori Quote
It has not bothered me--you can always try it. As far as I know the copying is parallel so you are not doubling the delay. It is certainly better than finding your card is corrupt later like I did with a Fuji card once. You can also use the digital preview function.
Thank you for the advice, I will probably go that route then...much better to buy a few extra cards and be safe than to realize you lost the images forever!
02-20-2012, 01:24 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I think that reliability will be more important than speed. I use good quality (Sandisc and Transcend mainly) class6 cards. There is no point having faster cards than your camera can write, or faster than your computer can read.
02-20-2012, 03:30 PM   #10
Forum Member

Ditto on the speed - you probably won't notice any write speed difference with really fast cards while in the camera, but perhaps when uploading images to your computer you might if that is important to you. When I first got my 645D in December I had an issue with two Sanddisk Extreme SDHC Class 10 (30MB/s) 32GB cards - the camera would not write to either of these cards when the temp was down near freezing and below. Very odd behavior. I returned them for a refund and bought some ProMaster SDHC cards and they have been great - no issues with them, even in temps down near zero F.
02-21-2012, 02:30 AM   #11

No Problems with Transcend 32GB Class 10.
The cam won't benefit from the new transfer modes (UHS) established with SDXC.
Use SDXC only if you want 64GB Cards. 45€ for 64GB is the cheapest I've seen... and not tested yet.

-Linus-