Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-01-2012, 10:04 AM   #16
Pentaxian

I have purchased new items from Adorama many times (both through their site and their Amazon storefront) and have had absolutely no issues.

I purchased a used Canon EOS Rebel (or 2000, can't remember exactly) from them once probably 3 years ago. It was rated as E- or something similar. It took about 3-4 days before they even shipped it, and when I finally got it there was heavy cosmetic damage. There were chips in the plastic, scratches everywhere. KEH would have probably rated it UG. Apparently if something works it gets a good rating regardless of how it looks. I never bought something used from them again.

Moral of the story: buy your used equipment from KEH if you care about the cosmetic condition of your stuff. If you don't, you just want it to be functional, then buy from Adorama (or UG from KEH).

03-01-2012, 10:26 AM   #17
Adorama Camera Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by Ryan Tischer Quote
Helen, this is contradictory to the 14 day return period I was just quoted over the phone about an hour ago on a used pentax 645 lens, can you refer me to your used lens return policy on your website? Thank you,

Ryan
I don't think it's up there - it changed recently from 14 days, so whoever you spoke to has clearly not been reading their internal emails!

Please take my word for it - and can you email me with details of who gave you the duff info so I can ensure they are updated? Helen@adorama.com
03-01-2012, 10:33 AM   #18
Banned

I purchased my Zeiss lens (an expensive item to say the least) from Adorama, I also regularly purchase film from them. they are an upstanding company and as trustworthy as it comes really. they have a great relationship with this forum. I use them far more often than B&H.
03-01-2012, 10:51 AM   #19
Pentaxian

I've purchased from Adorama about a dozen times and am a satisfied customer. The only issues I ever had were resolved to my satisfaction:
  • A sale price didn't show up at the register and I didn't notice until I left the store. They promptly credited my account as soon as I notified them.
  • I bought a telescope accessory that worked poorly for my intended use. Not really the store's fault. The return was painless.
To the OP, note that my experiences have been in-store rather than online.

03-01-2012, 10:56 AM   #20
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Plus 1 more for the excellent service from Adorama over the years. I've been dealing with them (and B&H) in person (I live ~20miles away) for more years than I care to remember (close to 30). I've always been a satisfied customer. I've dealt with both over the web as well with no problems. Highly recommended.
03-01-2012, 11:32 AM   #21
Pentaxian

I've bought 99% of my camera equipment, as well as other equipment from Adorama and they have always been the first place I go for years. I've ordered a couple things from B&H and I don't have any issues with them either, but my preferred shop has always been Adorama. That being said, I'll echo some of the other comments here. Their used department isn't consistent in their ratings. Most of my purchases from them are new items, as I've heard from people I shoot with their used rating aren't anything to go by.

Adorama's customer service is better than any other online company I've ever bought from. KEH is a great place for used equipment though, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Adorama for new stuff. I hope this helps.
03-01-2012, 11:33 AM   #22

Have bought both new and used from them. Getting ready to make another purchase in the very near future. Never had a problem with any transaction.

B and H and Adorama are my preferred sources.

03-01-2012, 11:43 AM   #23

I bought many items from Adorama and have dealt with Helen Oster. Top notch service in my opinion. I can't say the same thing about UPS, which occasionally mishandles stuff. I wish there was an option in Adorama's website to choose Fed-Ex instead.
03-01-2012, 12:21 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'e bought many items over the past 2 years or so online for my new camera fascination and Adorama is only second to Amazon on my list of sources. Not because of any problems but my company is an affiliate of Amazon's and I get a serious break on shipping and other things from Amazon. I do not hesitate to order from Adorama, which is more than I can say for many of the online camera sellers I could name.
03-01-2012, 12:36 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Maybe a voice from an international customer too:

Several times, I ordered at Adorma from Germany, everything perfect. With UPS international tracking number available after a 0-7 days.
03-01-2012, 12:37 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I've had great service from Adorama, but I haven't bought used from them. They've always more than met my expectations, though.
03-01-2012, 01:21 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'd love to shop at Adorama but if they have no USPS international shipping it's never going to happen.

Asking if they are trustworthy here is verging on offensive. Of course they are.
03-01-2012, 01:26 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thank you everyone for your input, it seems that most folks are very satisfied with Adorama. I've not dealt with them before, so just wanted some input. I know of other shady camera stores on the internet and wanted to make sure that Adorama was not one of them! Thanks again!
03-01-2012, 01:45 PM   #29

Glad to be of help. I'd put down BH, Adorama and Amazon as the best online retailers. Amazon shipping prices are better, and returns are easier. But it's also harder to get a hold of a person when buying from Amazon.
03-01-2012, 02:13 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are two sides of this coin; if you need to take advantage of the generous return policy to try something, that is great. But if you intend to make a purchase and keep it, it is sometimes not so good - you may end up getting an item which was previously returned by someone else (though it may not necessarily has any defects).