Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-01-2012, 08:41 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Is Adorama Trustworthy?

I found a used 645 FA lens that I'm looking to get for a pretty good price on Adorama.com, so I called to ask about it and talked with a represenative. He was courteous, but a little pushy on the sales end, which makes me weary as to whether or not Adorama is trustworthy. He stated that used items carry a 14 day return period. He said that since the lens was in E- condition it may have some minor marks or scratches on the barrel, but the glass should be clean and clear of any scratches or fungus.

Has anyone had dealings with Adorama in the past, and if so, were they positive?

Thank you for your input!

03-01-2012, 08:49 AM   #2

I love them. Very helpful and returns were a breeze! Highly recommend them.
03-01-2012, 08:49 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've bought a lot from Adorama over the years and have never had a complaint.
03-01-2012, 08:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Have their used items arrived as expected? And any issues returning used items if not as expected?

03-01-2012, 09:08 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ryan Tischer Quote
Have their used items arrived as expected? And any issues returning used items if not as expected?
What does "never had a complaint" suggest to you? I suppose that, if you search long and hard you will definitely find someone who thinks he did not get good service but you'll just have to work harder Maybe post on Facebook? Twitter?
03-01-2012, 09:09 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

i think you will find them pushy because each rep is getting something for their sales...i had one give me all his info to ensure when i ordered something in the future to call him...you won't have any problems with returns..amy
03-01-2012, 09:10 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I've always had a problem with them. My first order was ~2009 and I've done 4-5 orders since then. Always a problem, every single one. They fixed the problem with the first order which gave me some sense of loyalty but every problem since then has required so many emails and work on my part that I will never purchase from them again.

03-01-2012, 09:30 AM   #8
Adorama Camera Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
I've always had a problem with them. My first order was ~2009 and I've done 4-5 orders since then. Always a problem, every single one. They fixed the problem with the first order which gave me some sense of loyalty but every problem since then has required so many emails and work on my part that I will never purchase from them again.
I was sorry to read this. I can't ID your order(s) from your posting, but I'd like to give an assurance that any customer with an issue or query only ever needs to email me one time.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ryan Tischer Quote
All used lenses rated D, V, E+, E & E- come with a 6-month warranty, which includes a 30-day returns period. You are most welcome to contact me directly if you need additional advice or support: Helen@adorama.com (and no, I'm NOT on commission!)
03-01-2012, 09:36 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am surprised that so many people do not know about ResellerRatings.

Adorama Reviews - adorama.com Ratings at ResellerRatings
03-01-2012, 09:42 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Helen Oster Quote
I was sorry to read this. I can't ID your order(s) from your posting, but I'd like to give an assurance that any customer with an issue or query only ever needs to email me one time.

All used lenses rated D, V, E+, E & E- come with a 6-month warranty, which includes a 30-day returns period. You are most welcome to contact me directly if you need additional advice or support: Helen@adorama.com (and no, I'm NOT on commission!)
I have bought from Adorama off and on for the last 10yrs. Always been happy, returned and exchanged a few items. No problems. I must say, I got a bit frustrated with Adorama in the last time I was talking with them. But I was asking for was something that wasn't standard practice for them so the rep may not have known the option existed. But as soon as I talked to Helen all my questions were answered and very timely. I trust them enough to sell me a 645D and ship it to Africa. Helen, I'll be after that 645D as soon as things settle down here a bit!
03-01-2012, 09:43 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The only two NYC stores I'll recommend without hesitation are Adorama and B&H. I too have never had a problem with either of them and if I were to look back on my expenditures in the last 4 years, I'll bet I've spent more from Adorama than B&H. I don't view them as interchangeable either. Adorama's used gear section is very good and I prefer it over B&H.
03-01-2012, 09:46 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Helen, this is contradictory to the 14 day return period I was just quoted over the phone about an hour ago on a used pentax 645 lens, can you refer me to your used lens return policy on your website? Thank you,

Ryan
03-01-2012, 09:50 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Adorama is a fairly large company and as such can and will have issues over time just like any other. So if you look hard enough you will find someone to bad mouth them. But I have always found them to be honest and if there was a problem to do their level best to make it right. I have placed a number of orders with them, direct, through ebay and through Amazon and all have gone well. The only problem I have ever had was with a k-5 I was not happy with and I returned it for replacement, which they did quickly and with no questions asked.

And how many companies have a rep on forums trying to help? Not many. That shows a real desire to be involved with their customers and I applaud them for it. Helen thank you for being here and thank your employer for allowing you to be.
03-01-2012, 09:53 AM   #14
Inactive Account

My experience buying new lenses from adorama have been flawless but the used department is inconsistent. I have ordered 4 lenses from the used department and only one was fine. two of the lenses were worse than adorama's rating so, the last lens was cancelled because it was not in a "sellable condition" even though it was rated E. I have ordered about 10 lenses from KEH and never any complaints or problems so I prefer them for used equipment.
03-01-2012, 09:56 AM   #15
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
The only two NYC stores I'll recommend without hesitation are Adorama and B&H.
I fully support blackcloudbrew's statement. Both B&H and Adorama are highly reputable and trustworthy stores.

I bought many accessories and lenses (new and used) from Adorama and they can very recommended. Although I am an international customer, I had never any issue.

Last edited by hcc; 03-01-2012 at 01:57 PM.