Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2012, 07:24 AM   #1

Bad news for MF: Kodak discontinues colour reversal films

A bad news for all Ptx 645 photograppers who are still shooting film: Kodak discontinues dia film: Kodak discontinues colour reversal films, puts an end to a 77-year heritage - British Journal of Photography
QuoteQuote:
... In a notice sent to retailers and distributors around the world, and seen by BJP, Kodak has announced that "due to a steady decrease in sales and customer usage, combined with highly complex product formulation and manufacturing processes, Kodak is discontinuing three Ektachrome (color reversal) films." The films are the Kodak Professional Ektachrome E100G, Kodak Professional Ektachrome E100VS Film and Kodak Professional Elite Chrome Extra Color 100. "We estimate that, based on current sales pace, supplies of these films are expected to be available in the market for the next six to nine months; however, inventories may run out before then, depending on demand," says Kodak. .... This doesn't affect our Portra films, our Ektar and black-and-white films.

03-02-2012, 08:06 AM   #2
Veteran Member

On the bright side, hopefully this boosts Fujifilm's market and keeps their film in production....
03-02-2012, 09:07 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ironlionzion Quote
On the bright side, hopefully this boosts Fujifilm's market and keeps their film in production....
In this case I don´t have a good feeling. Fujifilm will be dominating the market* . I don´t believe it is good for competition - and prices will raise *I only know Agfa-Gevaert N.V. Belgium who are still producing Agfachrome 200 RSX ähm Aviphot 200 in 120 rolls. (sold in Germany as "Rollei CR&quot Is there still any other slide film producer for 120-film rolls left?
03-06-2012, 04:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A bad news for all Ptx 645 photograppers who are still shooting film: Kodak discontinues dia film:

What a clumsy entry.
You might want to take care with what you say; it is certainly not bad news for photographers shooting on Pentax 645. How, and why is that so?
And why do you say "still shooting film"? "Still"? It's not as if film has gone out of fashion: the best skilled and educated practitioners in analogue photography still rise above the wannabes in digital who think they've reached professional status after 62 chimped snaps.

In Australia, film sales are strong and consistent and Fuji and Ilford outsell anything else sitting around. But if any one format will go, it is the sheet / 4x5 format because there are too few photographers using enough of it, often enough.

No sympathy from me for Kodak or is myopic spin doctors. The constant contradictions in printed and web-published material is breathtaking.

03-06-2012, 07:58 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
This scared me at first...but after re-reading it I see they will continue with Portra color negative film. Personally I am not a fan of Kodak's Ektachrome...I have been sticking with Astia and portra for portraits and of course Velvia for other stuff.
03-07-2012, 05:41 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Shuttershane Quote
This scared me at first...but after re-reading it I see they will continue with Portra color negative film. Personally I am not a fan of Kodak's Ektachrome...I have been sticking with Astia and portra for portraits and of course Velvia for other stuff.
Fuji Astia has also been discontinued.

Fujifilm Astia is an ISO 100 slide film and has been discontinued. It is a fined grained and low contrast slide film often used for studio or portrait applications.This film usually gives a reddish/purplish color shift when cross processed. However, I tried out an expired roll of Astia that gave me unexpected greens!
After Fujifilm Astia has been discontinued, it has become more and more difficult to find this film for sale online or in photo labs. I finally managed to get my hands on a roll of expired Astia from a local toy camera shop. I loaded the roll into my LC-A+ and finished shooting it very soon. Expecting to see the usual reddish/purplish color shift, I was very surprised to see all the greens in my shots after the roll was developed! I love the colors and the shots have fine grains. I would definitely buy another roll of Astia to try it out again whether it will give me this unexpected green shift or the usually reddish/purplish shift. Give this film a try if you have the chance before all the stocks are gone!

Phil.
03-07-2012, 05:51 PM   #7

I am aware of Astia being gone....I have about 50 rolls in the fridge now. I actually have been using Portra lately...so far I like it a lot.

03-07-2012, 06:41 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street Quote
And why do you say "still shooting film"? "Still"? It's not as if film has gone out of fashion: the best skilled and educated practitioners in analogue photography still rise above the wannabes in digital who think they've reached professional status after 62 chimped snaps.
"Still" can mean "continue". You probably are not aware the poster is from Austria, and perhaps the subtle distinctions of English that offends you so much are of no concern to him or most anyone else.
03-07-2012, 10:51 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Slide film will probably not be available from anyone in a few years, and processing will likely be gone within 5 years.
03-08-2012, 08:30 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Slide film will probably not be available from anyone in a few years, and processing will likely be gone within 5 years.
Except for "Dwayne's", the home of discontinued film processing!

Phil.
03-08-2012, 02:41 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by veraikon;1850382*:
I only know Agfa-Gevaert N.V. Belgium who are still producing Agfachrome 200 RSX ähm Aviphot 200 in 120 rolls. (sold in Germany as "Rollei CR&quot
You mean perhaps Aviphot Chrome.
The Agfachrome has, unfortunately, nothing to do with Aviphot Chrome, it was produced exclusively by Agfa Photo Germany and not Agfa-Gevaert.
03-08-2012, 02:42 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by veraikon Quote
*I only know Agfa-Gevaert N.V. Belgium who are still producing Agfachrome 200 RSX ähm Aviphot 200 in 120 rolls. (sold in Germany as "Rollei CR&quot
The Agfachrome has, unfortunately, nothing to do with Aviphot Chrome, it was produced exclusively by Agfa Photo Germany and not Agfa-Gevaert.
03-09-2012, 10:39 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK:
"Still" can mean "continue". You probably are not aware the poster is from Austria, and perhaps the subtle distinctions of English
Thank you, indeed I am not a native english speaker and my English is "rough" . Excuse me . The subtle distinctions in English which are made in Australia are unknow in Austria
I´am personaly continue ("still") using film for my MF and pano equipment - (Ptx 645N, HB 503CW, xpan) and I don´t want to change it.
QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street:
In Australia, film sales are strong and consistent ...
Felix Australia...
I´am working during week in a german metropolitain region (1.9 Mio inhabitants, central city 500 000, university city 170 000) and in this region it is impossible to buy MF (120) films in a shop. I have to use mail order. For 135 films the best source is an anthroposophic drug store chain (DM) which offers still BW, colour negative and slide films -but only in 135 confection.
That´s my daily reality in Europe ....
With my posting I don´t want to oppose against film - I am continuing ("still") using film - but I see the supply becomes more and more difficult.

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999:
Yea I mean Aviphot Chrome 200 which has Agfachrome 200 RSX genes inside (but you are right is _not_ Agfachrome 200 RSX )