Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2012, 01:18 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Is anyone using DXO for 645D shots?

Out of curiosity I was planning on downloading a trial version of DXO Pro, but having looked at their website they don't seem to have profiled the 645D anyway.
Does any 645D owner here use DXO Pro, and if so, how do they find it please?
I think the same applies to Capture One, but after a Google search I think Phase One are clear that they consider the 645D a competitor so won't be supporting it on Capture One.
I would add here that I use Lightroom, and have quite a long way to go to get really competent with that. I am upgrading to LR4.
To widen the question a little, what post processing software do 645D users find works best?
Thanks.

03-07-2012, 07:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use Photoshop with Adobe Camera RAW and really like it. You are right that Capture One does not support the 645D. The only reason for Capture One would be if you shoot Phase or Leaf backs--ACR is horrible, probably because Phase does not want their file processed in ACR.
03-07-2012, 08:03 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Adobe Camera Raw

Yamanobori, thanks for the reply.
I have Photoshop CS5 but hardly ever use it, and confess to have minimal knowledge on how to use it.
At the risk of asking something stupid, Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) is the plug in that opens the raw shot in Bridge presumably? Am I right in thinking that if my DNG files opens in Bridge then I have ACR?
ACR cannot work as a stand alone program can it?
Thanks
03-07-2012, 10:16 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
ACR opens automatically when you try to open a RAW image in Photoshop, whether through Bridge or Photoshop itself. ACR has some really nice tools for processing RAW. It also sets up whether the image open as 8 bit or 16 bit and what the color space will be--there is a link under the preview window in ACR that lets you change that. The RAW image is also tagged with the changes so you can always reopen an image and what changes you made stick. I do much of my initial processing in ACR. You can then save the opened file as a TIFF or Photoshop and continue processing it somewhere else if you don't like Photoshop.

03-13-2012, 07:49 PM   #5
Forum Member

Hi Newmoon, as Yamanboori says ACR will open via bridge or PS, both independantly ie you can only open Bridge and not PS to use it or both etc etc. I use it with my 645D and it is a very good raw converter, but i haven't used any others as ACR i feel does a great job, it is the same raw converter that is in LR 3, just LR3 uses or calls the sliders something different, but to all intents and purposes they do exactly the same job with the image.

i was told that Capture one was slightly better in particular in rescuing any blown highlights, you may have in a shot, by a user that has both and shoots a Phase.
i guess i can understand why they wouldn't support the 645D.
Happy shooting and PP.
03-14-2012, 08:05 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm very happy with ACR as well.
Bigvern, a really blown highlight has no information to recover, C1 may give the appearence of highlight recovery with Phase since they appear to use inflated ISO ratings, so the back is really underexposing. See the ISO comparsions in the following:

DxOMark - Compare cameras side by side
03-14-2012, 11:14 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I do use Silkypix pro 5 and have not much to claim about it, with it's limitations easily and properly managed.