Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2012, 11:04 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Yup, the presence of the film insert was what necessitated this thick design and it is interesting that they kept with this design for the digital body. Moving the sensor to the back would be a great idea!
So just out of curiosity I looked at comparative flange distances. The Pentax 645 mount is 70mm. The Mamiya 7 is 60mm. I couldn't find the figure for the Bronica RF645. I'd be curious to know if there are any existing MF mounts that have even smaller flange distances. I know it isn't everything but its pretty important and I certainly wouldn't go so far as to say it "has nothing to do with" making a smaller camera. Some of the NEX lenses do look a bit bulky on the slim body but the combined package is still way, way smaller than any of the mirrored alternatives.

03-10-2012, 12:00 PM   #47
Site Supporter

I personnally love prism + size of the 645 bodies.
It makes quite sense to be able to sustain the body with the left hand, in particular when using small volume lens like FA 75 mm.
The very deep grip is also part of the shooting pleasure...
So i am definitely not interested in any mirrorless 645.
03-10-2012, 08:45 PM   #48

QuoteOriginally posted by Yamanobori Quote
Really? Do you know where the 645D sensor plane is (marked in red)? What if you just move it to the back of the camera? It makes the camera quite compact--not much thicker than the grip. Not much different to what Mamiya does with the 7 mount which really sticks out from the body.
Hey, that looks more like my K-5 than my 645n.
It seems to me they could make the body smaller AND keep the mirror/OVF.
03-11-2012, 08:57 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by NotaxPen Quote
It seems to me they could make the body smaller AND keep the mirror/OVF.
The optical path length probably prevents then from making it shorter with the pentaprism and viewfinder.

03-11-2012, 10:00 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by revdocjim Quote
Some of the NEX lenses do look a bit bulky on the slim body but the combined package is still way, way smaller than any of the mirrored alternatives.
Yes but the NEX looks unbalanced and ugly and it's still not pocketable.

For my wallet, a cheaper 645D would top everything The 645D will surely never be pocketable. Although a shorter 645D would be somewhat interesting, I do not need it, as it still remains relatively large. It will not compete with any digital MF rangefinder, I suppose. (I'd be happy proven wrong though)
03-12-2012, 01:45 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Well, opinions on the NEX do vary. I frequently pocket mine in a coat pocket with the standard zoom. If I'm using the 16/2.8 it fits in almost any pocket. And sometimes ugly can actually be cool. Just think of the Mamiya 6 or 7. Undeniably ugly but then again, unendingly popular!

As for your opinion that it looks unbalanced... tell me what you think of this NEX rig:
03-12-2012, 04:33 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Well, opinions on the NEX do vary. I frequently pocket mine in a coat pocket with the standard zoom. If I'm using the 16/2.8 it fits in almost any pocket. And sometimes ugly can actually be cool. Just think of the Mamiya 6 or 7. Undeniably ugly but then again, unendingly popular!

As for your opinion that it looks unbalanced... tell me what you think of this NEX rig:
Fantastic, but what's that back on this set up?
Yes, taste varies. The definition of pocketable does too, it seems.
But where is a sensor with folder for a really pocketable camera?
03-12-2012, 07:53 AM   #53
Veteran Member

The back is a WLF from my Asahi Pentax 67 adapted to fit the NEX, providing possibly the worlds biggest EVF. Combined with the peaking function and MF magnification this setup is a killer for manual focus work!

And regarding your question about a sensor with folder, if you mean something like a digital version of the Fuji GF670 I am 100% in favor of it! Making it 645 would allow it to be even smaller.

03-12-2012, 09:11 AM   #54
Pentaxian

What's the point of putting a 6x7 S-M-C Takumar 105mm on that camera?

03-12-2012, 01:38 PM   #55
pdc

Forward compatibility for digital backs

The BIG question for me is whether or not the current digital backs will fit on a future mirrorless body with short flange-back and a new mount?
03-12-2012, 04:31 PM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
What's the point of putting a 6x7 S-M-C Takumar 105mm on that camera?
No particular reason for that specific lens other than just to take photos... although it does offer the largest aperture of any in the 6x7 lineup. But when I finally got the adapters that make it possible I was very happy because one of the things I've long wanted to do is use my rather large collection of medium format lenses in a digital setup. I'm currently able to do so with my Pentax 645 and 6x7 lenses. The Mamiya 645 adapter is in the mail. All that remains are adapters for the Bronica lenses but unfortunately each camera (ETRs, SQ-A, GS-1 and C) is a different mount.
03-12-2012, 04:34 PM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pdc Quote
The BIG question for me is whether or not the current digital backs will fit on a future mirrorless body with short flange-back and a new mount?
I was assuming the future mirrorless body would have a sensor included in it. The effort of making the body small would be wasted by attaching one of those big, clunky digital backs.
03-12-2012, 04:37 PM   #58
Pentaxian

No particular reason for that specific lens other than just to take photos...
Well, you deserve kudos for one wild configuration.
03-12-2012, 04:39 PM   #59
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wouldnt put it past Pentax to introduce a digital version of the old Pentax 67..... How cool would that be !
They would prob have most of what was needed already, combined with the 645 workings !
It might not be a true 67 but mmmmmmmm deffo a medium format SLR.
03-12-2012, 06:59 PM   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Yamanobori Quote
Really? Do you know where the 645D sensor plane is (marked in red)? What if you just move it to the back of the camera? It makes the camera quite compact--not much thicker than the grip. Not much different to what Mamiya does with the 7 mount which really sticks out from the body.

The camera to the right is smaller than a Nikon/Canon FF camera...