Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-14-2012, 02:04 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by revdocjim Quote
As for your opinion that it looks unbalanced... tell me what you think of this NEX rig:
It looks like a piece of space junk from Star Wars! That being said, I could care less what a camera setup looks like, as long as it does what is intended.

05-12-2012, 09:26 AM   #62
Veteran Member

I'm so frustrated with my K-5's AF. Not about it being slow because that is not so bad, but because it's totally random in accuracy. No matter how I try to calibrate the AF with a good high contrast object using a tripod, the next time I shoot, it focuses randomly front, back or sometimes accidentally on the object. I don't recall people cursing the 645D AF as much as K-5 users do, but I don't know if its any better. I'd assume it to be pretty similar because isn't the 645D more or less the same camera with a bigger sensor and a 645 body?

My other cameras include a Samsung NX10 and while it has its flaws too, the contrast detect AF it uses is so pleasingly accurate. I set a point and the camera focuses there, not behind or in front. I actually think that I will not buy one more phase detect AF DSLR, at least not by Pentax.

So while I'm not a medium format shooter, I actually like the idea of a mirrorless 645 very much.
05-19-2012, 06:06 AM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
I'm so frustrated with my K-5's AF. Not about it being slow because that is not so bad, but because it's totally random in accuracy. No matter how I try to calibrate the AF with a good high contrast object using a tripod, the next time I shoot, it focuses randomly front, back or sometimes accidentally on the object. I don't recall people cursing the 645D AF as much as K-5 users do, but I don't know if its any better. I'd assume it to be pretty similar because isn't the 645D more or less the same camera with a bigger sensor and a 645 body?

My other cameras include a Samsung NX10 and while it has its flaws too, the contrast detect AF it uses is so pleasingly accurate. I set a point and the camera focuses there, not behind or in front. I actually think that I will not buy one more phase detect AF DSLR, at least not by Pentax.

So while I'm not a medium format shooter, I actually like the idea of a mirrorless 645 very much.
I think you will find its just the size of the sensors.
I had the same problem until I figured it out.
The sensors are huge and do not corespond with the little red focus squares. The centre sensor you will find, stretches all the way out to the spot focus markings marked as (). This means that if say you were to place the red square over an eye say, because the eye is so close to the side of the head, its likely and poss that it will pick on something behind your model which has more contrast. IE the ear or even background. Alternatively it may and often finds the nose. Hence you see front and back focus problems. The efect is less of course as you zoom in etc. The trick is... use the whole of the circle for your focus and try to refrain from being too accurate. IE Focus on the face rather than the eye etc. Sometimes it may not be pin sharp on the eyes but always passable and should give 100% as such.