Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2012, 03:05 PM   #1

Pentax 300mm lens bracket

I have purchased the manual focus 300mm F4 lens. Unfortunately that lens does not come with a tripod mounting bracket and it fells pretty unbalanced on the tripod with my 645D. Does anyone have any solutions to this that are not to heavy and don't take up a lot of space ? I hike with my camera so my backpack space is fairly limited outside of the camera and lenses.

03-14-2012, 03:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
293 Manfrotto Telephoto Lens Support (#3420)

03-14-2012, 05:31 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Hi take a look at "really right stuff" tripods, they seem to have all manner of supports and brackets, you might find something suitable, the make some great gear.
03-15-2012, 07:36 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The Manfrotto support works really well with this lens, but together they do take up space of course. I doubt that you get anything smaller, though, and most of the bulk is the lens itself. The stability is great. I had both.

03-15-2012, 07:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Smolk Quote
The Manfrotto support works really well with this lens, but together they do take up space of course. I doubt that you get anything smaller, though, and most of the bulk is the lens itself. The stability is great. I had both.
Good to hear from someone who has used them. They're about 30% the cost of the "really right stuff" offerings too.
03-16-2012, 01:54 AM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I too have the 645A*300/4, and queried a 645-qualified Pentax rep about options. He recommended strongly against putting a collar on the lens, because the construction of the lens tube would not sustain the weight of both lens and camera. I bought instead the Manfrotto solution mentioned above, and it works very well. If your system is Arca-Swiss based, consider instead the solution from RRS called "long lens support package". It's filed under "multi-purpose bars and rails" on their webside. With any luck this link takes you there:
Really Right Stuff - Item Listing

Notice that both solutions basically consist of a monopod head connected to an L-shaped stabiliser for the lens. If you already have a monopod head you might have half a solution. :-)