Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2012, 07:04 PM   #1

645D shutter shake

I purchased a 300mm lens for my 654D and while testing it today I have noticed an interesting phenomenon, the shutter seems to cause a shake when the camera is in a vertical position. Is this normal ? How is the pentax shutter build ?

Both images where shot at 1/8th of a second with mirror lockup on. You can clearly see a shutter shake on the vertical one. This by the way is reproducible and my other vertical images from today's test exhibit this effect as well.

The forum scales the image down, here is the full size file

03-15-2012, 07:14 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Did you use a tripod, or is it "just" camera shake because the camera is harder to hold in the vertical position?
03-15-2012, 07:58 PM   #3
Pentaxian

With medium format cameras with focal plane shutters the 1/30th to 1" shutter speed region is well known to cause issues particularly shutter bounce, the pentax 67 was well known for this trait. I have to ask which combination of tripod legs and head are you using? also I recall you mentioning you are using a manual focus 300mm lens that lens wouldn't happen to be the Pentax-A* 645 300mm f/4 ED? - that lens doesn't have a tripod collar* so mounting it on a tripod won't be enough to stabilise it properly. I recommend resting your hand near the end of the lens- this will help absorb unwanted vibrations and help balance the camera.

*something that every medium format and 35mm lens 100mm and over should have.

Last edited by Digitalis; 03-16-2012 at 12:28 AM.
03-15-2012, 10:40 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Yeah, what 300mm lens? The 6x7 300mm f4 cantilevered off the camera body is notorious for hard to get sharp without supporting the lens and the body. My buddy had that lens and could not get a sharp shot to save his life. After mounting it and the camera on a video camera rail system, things were much improved.

03-16-2012, 08:27 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
With medium format cameras with focal plane shutters the 1/30th to 1" shutter speed region is well known to cause issues particularly shutter bounce, the pentax 67 was well known for this trait. I have to ask which combination of tripod legs and head are you using? also I recall you mentioning you are using a manual focus 300mm lens that lens wouldn't happen to be the Pentax-A* 645 300mm f/4 ED? - that lens doesn't have a tripod collar* so mounting it on a tripod won't be enough to stabilise it properly. I recommend resting your hand near the end of the lens- this will help absorb unwanted vibrations and help balance the camera.

*something that every medium format and 35mm lens 100mm and over should have.
Yes it is the f/4 300mm lens without the bracket. And I am using a carbon fiber tripod that has served me pretty well in the past with longer lenses on other systems. What does not add up is why this problem occurs only in the vertical position.
03-16-2012, 08:51 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by larkis Quote
Yes it is the f/4 300mm lens without the bracket. And I am using a carbon fiber tripod that has served me pretty well in the past with longer lenses on other systems. What does not add up is why this problem occurs only in the vertical position.
Because the mirror and shutter are traveling left to right, rather then top to bottom. The tripod is not designed to handle that motion. I have found that to be a problem when I do not have the head, center column, or camera tightened down property.