Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2012, 09:35 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Leaf lenses , pentax really listen to the market

I don't understand this point.
tone oif the real con in every review is sync shutter time for studio working.
pentax has always made least shutter lenses, so why not adapting the new lenses with a leaf shutter?

the 90 and the new zoom would be perfect for leaf shutter, and i'm sure the high price pentax is asking for new lenses could easily cover that cost.
with leaf shutter, pentax could really make a big jump.

what u think?

03-20-2012, 10:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think there is very little demand for leaf shutter lenses. Always has been. I use the Pentax in a studio and I am not interested in a leaf shutter lens. I would not want to pay for the increased cost either--the current cost would not cover the inclusion of a shutter. The 645D was never pitched for studio work and Pentax has taken the time to make tethering software, which I think is generous.

Also, I have never heard of a zoom having a leaf shutter. It would seem to me to be very hard to make.

BTW, there are older 75mm and 135mm leaf shutter lenses on the used market.
03-20-2012, 01:48 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Yamanobori Quote
BTW, there are older 75mm and 135mm leaf shutter lenses on the used market.
Yes, too bad the body doesn't recognise them nor allow for matricial light measure...
03-20-2012, 03:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Since most studio photographer want the leaf shutter lenses for strobe photography, camera metering is not important.

03-22-2012, 07:00 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
well

in my opinion if any camera maker of MFDIGITALCAMERA give possibility to sync at 1/800 to 1/1600, you cannot snob this things.
add cost ? i don't know but I'm sure the 90 from pentax won't cost far less than the 80 leas from phase one.
im interested in the old leaf lenses but they functioning seems very complicated
03-22-2012, 03:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A leaf shutter lens is not as easy to make as a ham sandwich. Pentax continues to make just one now, the 165mm f4, and it is well suited to the task for studio work on 67 and the older 6x7 bodies, where metering is preferentially done independent of the camera and strobes are routine rather than hotshoe flashes. It makes a fine 'pull-in' for landscape work quite apart from its portraiture pedigree. Zoom lenses have always been complex in terms of optical layout and function: adding a leaf shutter would make production and consumer-level cost quite prohibitive.

One has to keep in mind that the leaf shutter lenses, among others for the 67 bodies, were made for a camera that is long-discontinued. Working professionals using film swear by the 67 and leaf shutter lenses for very precisely set up studio arrangements where the higher sync speeds are the dealmaker.
03-23-2012, 08:23 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Leaf shutters are really only useful for outdoor portrait shoots.
In studio, you have control of your lighting, so ambient doesn't matter (and you know that's why higher shutter speeds are needed, right? :-)
Even Zach Arias runs his Canon 5D at 1/125 in-studio...

03-23-2012, 03:38 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

i go way back,my first experience was with rangefinder cameras,it was nice to sync at 1/500 sec.good for lo-light action.there are cameras that sync up to 1/800 sec.as i remember with some of the old flash bulbs you could sync at up to 1/1000 sec with a focal plane shutter.something about the duration of the bulb.why don't we have a strobe with that kind of flash duration? say like 1/125 sec.
03-23-2012, 05:22 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
In studio, you have control of your lighting, so ambient doesn't matter (and you know that's why higher shutter speeds are needed, right? :-)
I disagree,
There are MANY times I am shooting indoors in places other than my studio.
Especially in places with crappy mixes of lights I want to use a high enough shutter speed to cancel the ambient and also be able to use an aperture wide enough to control my depth of field.
03-24-2012, 08:08 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Leaf shutter lenses used in the “Leaf Shutter” mode are meant for indoor use. My 67 165/4 allows me to have a flash sync of up to 1/500, this lets me hand hold my 67 and not use the MLU. If I tried to use a regular lens indoors then I would only be able to use the 67’s crappy 1/30 flash sync speed and have to use a tripod and MLU.

You can use a leaf shutter lens outdoors in the “Focal Plane Shutter” mode like any other lens, except that you have to cock the leaf shutter to see any image in the cameras viewfinder.

Phil.
03-24-2012, 06:27 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Leaf shutter lenses used in the “Leaf Shutter” mode are meant for indoor use. My 67 165/4 allows me to have a flash sync of up to 1/500, this lets me hand hold my 67 and not use the MLU. If I tried to use a regular lens indoors then I would only be able to use the 67’s crappy 1/30 flash sync speed and have to use a tripod and MLU.

You can use a leaf shutter lens outdoors in the “Focal Plane Shutter” mode like any other lens, except that you have to cock the leaf shutter to see any image in the cameras viewfinder.

Phil.
indoors my petooe,most of the old rangefinder cameras had leaf shutters, even the best lieca's,we shot them all over the place.a whole lot of the pictures in nat-geo were shot with leaf shutters.
03-24-2012, 08:23 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Leica rangefinders had a focal plane shutters.
03-24-2012, 08:47 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Yamanobori Quote
Leica rangefinders had a focal plane shutters.
OK, you got on that camera, i stand corrected.but you get the picture, that leaf shutters were not limited to studio use.
03-24-2012, 09:06 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bull drinkwater Quote
OK, you got on that camera, i stand corrected.but you get the picture, that leaf shutters were not limited to studio use.
I think the point was that that leaf shutters were not used outside studios (some camera designs used leaf shutters), but rather a leaf shutter lens for a camera with a focal plane shutter are designed for photographers using flash to give more control over the balance between ambient and strobe lighting. This is mostly, but not exclusively, commercial photographers.
03-25-2012, 05:10 AM   #15

I'd love to shoot with more than 1/125 with my 645D in my studio. BUT it is not always neccessary. I shot the following at 1/30 with my 67II. I used a 45mm, no MLU and no tripod. The image is tack sharp.

http://foerdefluesterer.de/mediashare/m8/t5symuduc4mqhyc9lzqkc5u24axgye-pre.jpg

Last edited by phonoline; 03-25-2012 at 05:18 AM.