Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2012, 06:26 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
GPS question and recommendation

The 645D has a GPS set up on the menu, but nothing in the handbook, so presumably it's a subsequent firmware add on. Can anyone tell me what this does please?

Also I'm wanting to buy a not too compicated (or expensive) hand held GPS unit, and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations? At the moment I use the iPhone when absolutely necessary, but find it's GPS too slow and temperamental (regularly the map app hangs and shuts down without ever opening).
So apart from using it to pinpoint where I am when lost (!) the main reason is to be able to mark either where I've taken a shot and when I see a good spot for a future shot. For normal navigation I usually print out a map of the area from Memorymap on the PC.

The GPS use is all rural - mountains, woodland etc. In the UK.

Thanks

03-28-2012, 07:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The updated menu would be for use with the newer GPS hotshoe accessory, the Pentax O-GPS1 - it isn't compatible with other branded handheld units. I've used a delorme PN-20 for some time, works well, good 8-10 hour battery life (runs on AAs), and the GPS track can be exported if you want to use it to tag your photos and pin them on a map - just need to make sure the times are correlated. The Pn-20 is a couple years old now, probably find it on ebay well under $100 used (good price as long as software and maps are included).
03-28-2012, 08:25 AM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
The updated menu would be for use with the newer GPS hotshoe accessory, the Pentax O-GPS1 - it isn't compatible with other branded handheld units. I've used a delorme PN-20 for some time, works well, good 8-10 hour battery life (runs on AAs), and the GPS track can be exported if you want to use it to tag your photos and pin them on a map - just need to make sure the times are correlated. The Pn-20 is a couple years old now, probably find it on ebay well under $100 used (good price as long as software and maps are included).
Thank you. I haven't heard of the Delorme before, and don't think they are sold in the UK, so maybe there would be a map problem. I'll have a look at the PN-20 in more detail and see which UK Garmin or Magellan model most resembles it.
03-28-2012, 10:35 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The Pentax GPS would be convenient. I use a Garmin eTrex model. Garmins are very easy to use and download waypoints and tracks. Is really the big player in the handheld GPS field.