Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2012, 09:23 PM   #1
New Member
vincen's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Grenoble
Posts: 21
Advice for second hand price of 645D ?

Hi,

One of my very good friend is selling his 645D. I'm thinking to buy it but I'd like some advices about price as I'm unable to find some sort of official quotes for second hand 645D. His unit is in mint conditions, 8800 shots done with it, includes 2 extra batteries, extra corded remote for $8000. Is it a fair price ?

Thanks for your help and answers

Vincèn

03-28-2012, 09:49 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 43,037
Sure, that's a fair price. Seeing that a new one is still $10k, that's 20% off after year a year of use is a good deal.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-28-2012, 10:32 PM   #3
New Member
vincen's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Grenoble
Posts: 21
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Sure, that's a fair price. Seeing that a new one is still $10k, that's 20% off after year a year of use is a good deal.
oky thanks just curious but does someone know how many shots trigger system of 645D is supposed to be able to do ? unable to find information on Pentax websites
03-29-2012, 12:58 AM   #4
Forum Member




Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 72
The shutter is made for 50.000 actuations. But Pentax says this number doesn't mean that the shutter will necessarily break after this. It just should be recalibrated after 50.000. Also consider that you will not make that many shots with a medium format camera.
I think the price is fair and you should take the offer.

03-29-2012, 01:06 AM   #5
New Member
vincen's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Grenoble
Posts: 21
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by derAngler Quote
The shutter is made for 50.000 actuations. But Pentax says this number doesn't mean that the shutter will necessarily break after this. It just should be recalibrated after 50.000. Also consider that you will not make that many shots with a medium format camera.
I think the price is fair and you should take the offer.
Thanks for your input 50 000 actuations is not so much, but it's just a recalibration it needs, it's ok, so I think I'll go on it, just need to count all my pennies to pay for it and next stepp will be to find a good wide angle to use with it
03-29-2012, 02:18 AM   #6
Forum Member




Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 72
Take the 35mm A. This lens is amazing and manual focus is also no problem with it.
03-29-2012, 02:26 AM   #7
New Member
vincen's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Grenoble
Posts: 21
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by derAngler Quote
Take the 35mm A. This lens is amazing and manual focus is also no problem with it.
thanks for the advice, will check second hand offers to find it at good price manual focus is ok, I use manual focus on my D3X as automatic focus is not enough good in my eyes !
03-29-2012, 09:14 AM   #8
Senior Member




Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sarnia, Ontario
Posts: 130
Vincen send me a PM if you are interested, all my 645D gear is going up for sale (I think, tough decision)

03-29-2012, 09:30 AM   #9
Senior Member
adelorenzo's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Whitehorse, Yukon
Posts: 171
One thing to keep in mind is that manufacturer warranties are original owner and non-transferable, so you're taking on more risk than you would buying new.
03-29-2012, 09:53 AM   #10
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2011
Location: All over the place
Posts: 2,579
QuoteOriginally posted by mrclark321 Quote
Vincen send me a PM if you are interested, all my 645D gear is going up for sale (I think, tough decision)
You're gonna keep the d800 over the 645D? Don't take the DxO report that seriously. The 645D is still the better camera. DxO doesn't compare on a level playing field either, and viewing MFormat files next to FF is like viewing 3D next to 2D IMO. My 645D is off for repair and I have the 5D 3 as back up. It will return to back up when I get the 645D back, except for ultrawides. I would see what the D800 is like in real life for a lot longer before flogging it and getting sellers remorse
03-29-2012, 10:13 AM   #11
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,714
My looks at this: The 645D is an electronic machine with a lifetimespan of 5 years. So after 5 years it is down to 0 $! In the first year there is a warrenty and not in the following years. My estimation is for this camera (since you know who owned and used it) is 70 % of new (60 % for a 645D coming from a stranger). Wich is 7.000 $ and only if the D-FA55mm is included the $ 8.000 asked.
03-29-2012, 10:54 AM   #12
Senior Member




Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sarnia, Ontario
Posts: 130
QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
You're gonna keep the d800 over the 645D? Don't take the DxO report that seriously. The 645D is still the better camera. DxO doesn't compare on a level playing field either, and viewing MFormat files next to FF is like viewing 3D next to 2D IMO. My 645D is off for repair and I have the 5D 3 as back up. It will return to back up when I get the 645D back, except for ultrawides. I would see what the D800 is like in real life for a lot longer before flogging it and getting sellers remorse
I am an NPS member and keeping two systems is expensive, I love the 645D and am almost positive the images will not be as good. Like I said tough decision especially with the camera having a little over 1000 actuations and only 6 months old.
03-29-2012, 11:05 AM   #13
Senior Member




Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sarnia, Ontario
Posts: 130
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
My looks at this: The 645D is an electronic machine with a lifetimespan of 5 years. So after 5 years it is down to 0 $! In the first year there is a warrenty and not in the following years. My estimation is for this camera (since you know who owned and used it) is 70 % of new (60 % for a 645D coming from a stranger). Wich is 7.000 $ and only if the D-FA55mm is included the $ 8.000 asked.
Do you sell you gear with this same theory or only buy that way! I think $8K is a fair price especially when you know the seller! Taxes on my $10K purchase were 13%
03-29-2012, 11:26 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,270
QuoteOriginally posted by mrclark321 Quote
Do you sell you gear with this same theory or only buy that way! I think $8K is a fair price especially when you know the seller! Taxes on my $10K purchase were 13%
when you take taxes into account the math in his purchase model works, he just needs to add 70% of the tax value and he's back at the same price . Remember Europeans all buy VAT in so they don't remember to add the value of tax when looking at NA prices

I think 8000 is a pretty fair price actually and represents a bigger discount than you typically get on FF cameras with the same level of use.

I wouldn't worry overly about the Shutter count. Recalibration at 50 k makes sens. even if it's replacement, it will not be an insanely expensive repair since it si actually a low cost part of the system. maybe an 800-100 at the very outside job, more likely 500
03-29-2012, 12:31 PM   #15
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,714
QuoteOriginally posted by mrclark321 Quote
Do you sell you gear with this same theory or only buy that way! I think $8K is a fair price especially when you know the seller! Taxes on my $10K purchase were 13%
When I sell I'm always looking for the fool who is not yet awake at the time off the sale. But I do look at it this same way when I try to sell something. Remember that you have to look at a reason why not to buy new, but used. At a difference of less then 25 % and no warrenty, you have to find a fool. This does count in from day 1 after purchase up to a full year in use.

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
when you take taxes into account the math in his purchase model works, he just needs to add 70% of the tax value and he's back at the same price . Remember Europeans all buy VAT in so they don't remember to add the value of tax when looking at NA prices
This is true, but then again I was going from 70 % and offcourse the taxes also need to be added.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
645d, camera, hand, medium format, price
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
35/50mm fixed AF lens-what price 2nd hand dinneenp Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 7 03-19-2010 08:58 PM
Need advice on second hand flash. throndor Flashes, Lighting, and Studio 2 11-21-2008 10:05 AM
advice on second hand prime 50mm Benjamin Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 8 10-12-2007 06:11 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:28 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top