Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2012, 07:35 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Something I miss with digital is fine detail....
I used a 6x7 for many years, as well as 4x5. On optical prints of ~11x14, there really isn't much to say between the 2 formats for fine detail. The 6x7 format isn't being pushed past it's boundaries, and the 4x5 isn't printing large enough yet to show off it's advantages.
At 16x20, the 4x5 is showing an advantage for detail and grain.
However, for landscapes, the 6x7 has problems with depth of field that the 4x5 doesn't have. Shots that were routine with 4x5 were impossible with the 6x7 because it's impossible to secure sufficient depth of field with the 6x7. It's something to be aware of. If your shooting is always vista type scenic, the 6x7 is fine, but if you really need near/far DOF, the 6x7 isn't the best. I never did get into scanning film. I stayed with optical printing, so if you plan on scanning, there may be factors which will cause you to rethink one format over another.
If you want a nice 6x7 system, I have one that is languishing in my storage, and is looking for a new home.
Thanks for your comments. The pictures I'm thinking of are vista-type stuff, but of course I'd probably eventually push the envelope a bit, or see how much I could push it at smaller apertures.

I've looked at 4x5 stuff, too, it's definitely a consideration for me.

04-04-2012, 08:28 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
I don't have a problem getting a scanner (actually already have one, but don't have a fantastic one) or sending them out to be scanned. FWIW I shoot my K5 in full manual mode about 20-40% of the time and in TAv/AF mode the rest of the time, so I won't be starting from square one. In fact for 100% of the pictures I'd be using the 67 for, I currently am shooting 100% manually.

I'd like a 645D but I just can't justify putting that much money into a body when pentax doesn't have that great of a legacy of digital support/continuity.
If you have the perseverance and determination, then I'd say go for it. For me a lot of the fun of film is shooting older mechanical cameras and metering my own scene.
04-04-2012, 09:40 PM   #18
Site Supporter

If you like walking around with the 15 on your K5, you'll really like the 45 on a 67. Basically, the same angle of view. Shot a few event photos this evening through the 15 and K5 and am looking at a 30"x 40" chrome on my wall that came through the 45. I highly endorse the comparison.

By the way, there is a 1:1 macro available for the 67 series. It's the 100/4 macro that came out late in the series...along with the 67II. The lens hits 1:2 then allows you to add a special multi-element close-up lens to hit 1:1. It's scary sharp especially considering the add-on. The trumpet style lens hood is threaded for 77mm on the outer end. With a Canon 77mm 500D close-up lens, it gets closer than 1:1 and is surprisingly sharp for being "garbaged up" with two close-up lenses.

If you are not cost sensitive and can be content to only take the time to scan your very best images, go ahead and shoot color transparency film as well as b&w. I enjoy viewing those big transparencies on a light table. It's just about tactile.
04-05-2012, 04:31 AM   #19

I'd go with the 67II first as it is affordable, the lenses are mostly well-built and sharp and I always felt that it made me discover "real" photography. I started digital (Nikon), I liked that you could look at your images straight away but was so blown away the first time I shot the 67II. You gotta take a lot more time, you gotta be patient, post production is a tad more limited, it's defintely not point and shoot but you will be so much more satisfied with what you get in the end and you will probably start really loving to wait for the films to get developed. I mostly shoot b&w with it but last time I tried the Fuji Velvia 50 for landscape I loved the results. However, it WILL cost good money and you will want to work with a great scanner to get the best out of your slides or negatives.

04-05-2012, 12:33 PM   #20
Inactive Account

I've had my 67 since this summer. Before that I had used exclusively digital, so moving into MF film was kind of a big step for me, even more so because I develop my own negatives, B&W, C41 and E6. Myself, I love the 67 and I love working with film, I am much more intimately involved with my photography. Most of all I love the look and feel you get with the large negative the 67 produces. The atmosphere and detail that it captures is so satisfying. However as Tuco mentioned if you're scanning your negatives on an inexpensive falt bed scanner, as I am (Epson V600), you will lose some of that amazing detail.

I suggest you go to flickr and look at the goups for 67 and some of the cheaper flatbed scanners. I find this helpful as you see photos posted by photographers of varying skill levels. Also, here's another vote for the 45mm if you like the DA15 on the K5!

Good luck! Doug
04-10-2012, 09:09 PM   #21
Site Supporter

can't to see the hub-bub when pentax comes out with a 67 digital 60 megapixel camera.