Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2012, 03:59 AM   #1
Veteran Member

tilt shift.....just in case you missed it.....

I wish.........HARTBLEI 45mm f/3.5 Super-Rotator tilt shift lens for Pentax 645 and 645D | eBay

cheers
Jan

04-07-2012, 04:23 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I wish too... Few years ago I met a guy that bought a Hartblei MF camera just to use this lens. It was his only camera and lens, but also all he ever needed.
04-07-2012, 07:06 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice. At one time these were fairly easy to come by, but with the apparent closing of Zavod Arsenal in Kiev and the shift of Hartblei to German production using Zeiss rather than Kiev/Arax optics the Super-Rotators have become much more rare.

Steve
04-07-2012, 01:48 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Very nice on film, probably, but i have strived to get presentable samples of this lens results from a 645D and nowhere could i find them ... (by the way, rather prefer the "digital" version normally improved over this former model...)

04-09-2012, 02:32 PM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Schneider tilt and shift

Out of interest is there any way to use the Schneider 50m tilt and shift lens with a 645d?
https://www.schneideroptics.com/ecommerce/CatalogSubCategoryDisplay.aspx?CID=1822
Its intended for 35mm but has a large image circle.
Also a pretty high price!
04-09-2012, 04:51 PM   #6
Forum Member

Hi Zygonyx, can you clarify your points, are you saying there is a BETTER version of this lens? or a newer improved version, thinking about this lens, but dont know enough about it, it will have some uses, but am looking for some experienced users who can provide some feedback, cheers. Any assistance is appreciated.
04-10-2012, 01:39 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Yes, there is one that is supposed to have been "optimized" for digital 645 sensor, having the "DIGITAL" word on it's front circle :

http://cgi.ebay.fr/NEW-HARTBLEI-Digital-45mm-Super-Rotator-Tilt-Shift-Lens-/...item415df9350c
04-10-2012, 06:02 AM   #8
Forum Member

Having searched on Google for 645D and Hartblei I came up with this article Everything Foto: Gear review: Hartblei 45MM Digital for Pentax 645
In a nutshell the combo didn't work very well.

04-10-2012, 07:46 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Thank you, i know this blog, but obviously none of these pictures is significant / caracteristic of T/S shooting in my opinion : no bokeh effect, no blured perspective, nothing talking nor definitely demonstrative for the potential user of this lens...
I would call this a fully unrepresentative test...
04-10-2012, 08:42 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
none of these pictures is significant / caracteristic of T/S shooting in my opinion
I'd love to be able to control DOF in my landscape work with the 645D and focus on plane, keeping all objects in sharp focus...and also allowing larger apertures to be used, thus reducing diffraction. But I never shoot portraits, so to each their own!
04-10-2012, 08:45 AM   #11
Forum Member

Landscape is what I would use it for also.
I have found someone else who has a 645d and the Hartblei lens, but hasn't used them together, and says he doesn't find the need as depth of field is adequate anyway.
04-10-2012, 09:55 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by Newmoon Quote
Out of interest is there any way to use the Schneider 50m tilt and shift lens with a 645d?
https://www.schneideroptics.com/ecommerce/CatalogSubCategoryDisplay.aspx?CID=1822
Its intended for 35mm but has a large image circle.
Also a pretty high price!
I spoke last week with Mr Kanzer (Schneider-Kreuznach. Business Unit Photo) about these possibilities (the T/S Apo-Digitar with "neutral", traditional (P6) or Ptx546 mount, - Schneider is famous for their changeable mounts ).
He doesn´t make me any hope on this case for the _near_ future ....

*The TS- SuperAngulon and TS-Makro-Symmar are 135 lenses , mind the image circle and flange distance !
04-11-2012, 04:23 AM   #13

Hi
I am the eBay seller of this lens. I purchased it last November but about that time decided to sell off my 645D and lenses - delivery takes about a month so it didnt arrive until December. This is my last Pentax lens.
While the eBay item did not specify it, the lens is the digital optimised model indicated by the word DIGITAL on the front of the lens.
I will post more photots of the actual item on the listing in the near future.
Rob
04-11-2012, 01:18 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Thanks to come in
I might be quite interested in your lens...

@ Ryan, i agree, but this is not the only use i foresee.
Here are examples of what i intend to see with a tilt-shift lens :

K20D + Mir 45mm and Pentacon tilt adapter

*istDS + K Shift 28mm
04-12-2012, 11:52 PM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

I have been using Canon's 24mm TS-E and earlier, the 90mm TS-E for 20-odd years now. It is a known fact that MF and LF require greatly more extreme movements (of either tilt or shift) to achieve the same result in 35mm (where only slight movements are required). Trending today, It is very rare to find split plane images appealing unless subject, compositional and technical skills are very well developed and applied correctly. It is not gospel to have one or two out-of-focus planes just to demonstrate tilt (or tow) because viewers who are not familiar with the effect do not understand what it is or why it has been applied. This is a common problem I have observed among photographers applying tilt (predominantly) without justification or appropriate weighting of technical grasp of balance and correction. Certainly in the absence of that it is money wasted. The tilt/tow effect is controllable (and 90% of the time should be controlled to optimise the overall image) by aperture to greatly reduce the grievances that many viewers have of the distortion of the focal plane without any consideration for appropriate correction (as is routinely applied in large format tilt/swing, shift/rise/fall).