Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2012, 08:42 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nodal Slide options for 645D?

I'm curious what systems other 645D users are using to make panos. I'd only want to make single row panos, and would probably be using the 645 35mm A and eventually the 645 25mm (when I purchase it). I'm trying to determine what length nodal slide I'd need and what options users out there like most. I don't plan on doing a TON of panos, but I'd like a quick and easy option of doing it when necessary/possible.

04-11-2012, 09:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The easiest option is to simply do them handheld. I have the grid viewfinder screen which helps keeping the camera level to the horizon when panning each frame.

I also have a tripod head with a pan. That works well and the slide is not really need--I use the 35mm, 55mm, 120mm and 300mm lenses for panos.

If I am in a situation where there are lots of foreground elements like inside a forest, I place my camera on a Manfrotto macro rail and mount that on my tripod head. The rail is my nodal slide. It seems accurate enough for my lenses. Having two tripod sockets on the body is really nice for camera orientation with a simple rail. The rail is easy to carry--slips nicely into the camera bag.
04-11-2012, 09:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yamanobori, do you have a link to the manfrotto macro rail that you use? I already have a ball head with a pan function and don't do handheld landscape work, so I guess I'm just looking for something a bit more precise.
04-11-2012, 10:31 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This is what I use:

Micrometric Positioning Sliding Plate 454 - Plates | Manfrotto

Mine was about $80 from B&H.

04-11-2012, 04:14 PM   #5
Forum Member

Hi Ryan, for what its worth i, bought the RRS equipment when i got my 645D, i bought the Basic Pano system to suit the tripod i bought, YES they are more expensive, but i have bought too much cheap gear only for it to fall apart over time, so this time went for the best i could afford. Here is a link, the gear is incredibly well made and is made in the USA for what that is worth, which must be something these days.. Here is a link... Im sure their are many others, but this is what i have and it works nicely..

Really Right Stuff - Item Listing