Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
04-24-2012, 09:34 PM   #76
Inactive Account

Why 645d?

I am a 645d owner but am thinking of going to a d800.

Heres why

No live view (my eyes are not as good as they once were)
1 frame per sec
Most of the Old Pentax 645 glass sucks ( its only because the large sensor we can getaway with using it )
Wide 25mm lens is $5000.00 ( I need wide )
Camera is slow

I printed some large samples (40"x55"/60") images from the dpreview test files and only when Im within 8" from the printed images can I see a little more detail in some areas of the 645d and only because I did some pixel peeking on the computer before printing so I knew where to look; I do not think my customers will ever see a difference.

I shoot mostly and landscapes and sell large prints. I am looking for reasons to keep the 645d
your input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jorge

04-25-2012, 04:39 AM   #77
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MaxBokeh Quote
Most of the Old Pentax 645 glass sucks ( its only because the large sensor we can getaway with using it )
Thanks,
Jorge
This is the first time I heard that most Pentax 645 lenses suck.
I wonder where they got that wonderful reputation from ?
04-25-2012, 05:59 AM - 1 Like   #78
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MaxBokeh Quote
I am a 645d owner but am thinking of going to a d800.

Heres why

No live view (my eyes are not as good as they once were)
1 frame per sec
Wide 25mm lens is $5000.00 ( I need wide )
Camera is slow

I printed some large samples (40"x55"/60") images from the dpreview test files and only when Im within 8" from the printed images can I see a little more detail in some areas of the 645d and only because I did some pixel peeking on the computer before printing so I knew where to look; I do not think my customers will ever see a difference.

I shoot mostly and landscapes and sell large prints. I am looking for reasons to keep the 645d
your input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jorge
Although I agree with you on the price of the 25mm and to a lesser extent with live view, it's hard to understand some of your other statements. We all know the lenses don't suck and as a landscape shooter you need more than 1 frame/s?. The camera is too slow - for landscapes?
04-25-2012, 07:03 AM   #79
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
1 frame a second is too slow? I use the 645D for street and I have yet to feel the camera frame rate is slow. I can't imagine a landscape getting away from you that fast unless you are doing avalanche images. The preview is slow, but that can be attributed to the patience of the photographer as well. Certainly the D800 will be better here.

Jorge, you should have asked some of the members about lens recommendations. I have an excellent set of lenses for my 645D. But the D800 will give more choice.

Personally, if you want a D800, then buy a D800. What you shoot is your choice--I would not worry about the opinions of others. You don't need to justify it to anyone--unless you are married, but a photo forum cannot give answers for everything.

04-25-2012, 09:04 AM   #80
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I make my living shooting landscapes and printing large prints. So, the 645D was the obviously (and still is IMHO) the better choice for me. If I also shot wildlife, sports, etc. then the Nikon might have been a better compromise. I don't think the 645 glass sucks, I think it's great. I can't compare it to the Nikon glass, but it blows away the Canon L-series glass I was shooting with previously (16-35 f/2.8L II, and 24-105 f/4L). No edge softness, fewer CA's and overall just sooo much sharper (in part to the 645D's sensor as well, but still). I bet if you put an adapter on the 645 glass and compared it to any of the other 35mm glass out there it would change your mind...and it's less expensive if you buy used, as I did (except for the 25mm).

I've been shooting for over a month now and love my 645D. It's not too slow for me at all. Try shooting with a view camera and that will put it in perspective for you!
04-25-2012, 12:06 PM - 1 Like   #81
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I am a Pentax 645d owner for the past year. And I must say that I love the camera.

The camera has taken me to another phase in photography. I use my head so much more than I used to do. And with the slow speed I noticed that I have way more perfect images than I had with 35mm. I am really glad that one year ago I invested in the pentax. The year has given me so much more than I would have achieved with my old canon gear.

Both cameras are good so enjoy the one you choose to the fullest.