Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2012, 07:21 PM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by Ryan Tischer Quote
I don't know about NY, but in MN (and all other states I am aware of) this 'out of state' sales tax on purchase made in other states, but shipped to you is called 'use tax'. So, in other words, when I ordered my 645D from B&H in NY, B&H was not required to collect and remit sales tax on that sale, but I am responsible for paying 'use tax' on it, being 6.875% in MN. Now, if I have purchased it originally in NY and paid sales tax there, then no, I would not have to pay the MN state 'use tax'.

I don't think it's easy for states to catch you for not paying this, but odds are that if you're cheating the state you are also cheating the IRS and eventually will get audited. Then you will no only have to pay the tax that they calculate you owe them, but interest on it as well! AND they communicate with the state, so likely a state audit could follow. Some states (Montana I think is one) don't have a state sales tax at all.

So...I just pay my taxes honestly to avoid all of the hassle.
I do agree that if your state taxes out-of-state purchases that you should pay your state what you owe.
But the IRS has nothing to do with sales tax.
How exactly are you cheating the IRS when you owe them NOTHING?

04-23-2012, 08:21 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NotaxPen Quote
How exactly are you cheating the IRS when you owe them NOTHING?
Yes, the IRS has nothing to do with sales tax DIRECTLY... I 100% agree.

What I was trying to get it is that if the IRS finds a business/individual not paying the income taxes that are due, then that is likely to also trigger an audit from the state as well (state income tax and sales and use tax if applicable). They use patterns, and if someone/a business is not paying the income tax due according to tax law ("cheating" or being "less than honest" or whatever you want to call it), there's a good chance they have also not paid all of the state's sales tax due. The two entities supposidly communicate with one another in one degree or another, though don't ask me how, because I have no clue, I've just read about it...and often when you hear of tax evasion the businesses/individuals involved end up owing money to both state and IRS.