Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2012, 01:37 PM   #1

Where to buy a 645D in New York city on saturday?

Hello friends from Pentax Forums. This is my first ever post and I'm glad to be here.

I'm going to join the Pentax user base by acquiring the medium format monster Pentax 645D.
I'll be visiting New York next week and will be arriving on saturday.

I first planned to get my camera and lens from B&H, but I got the information that the store closes on saturdays. Bummer.
Same deal with Adorama. Closed on saturdays. And I heard that Calumet Photographic don't carry Pentax at all.

Plan B was to purchase the Pentax 645D from the Pentax Store.
But I read some bad reviews about Willoughby’s Camera, so I don't really plan on getting it there.

Do you guys have any other suggestions?
Any help will be much appreciated.

04-20-2012, 02:00 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There's also a store called Cameraland- they might have it. Or you can just order online at B&H and it'll probably be in your hands Tuesday.'

Pentax 645D Digital SLR Camera (Body Only) 17971 B&H Photo Video

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-20-2012, 03:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It you buy it in NYC, you will have to spend the NYC sales tax. 8% I believe. If you live out-of-state and buy from there and send it there, you save lots of money.
04-20-2012, 04:00 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you all for your help. I'll definitely be visiting Camera Land first thing in the morning.

I can't really order online. I'll be visiting New York for 4 days only, coming from Brasil.

Any other suggestions? What about the Pentax "store" at Willoughby's, is it really that bad?

04-20-2012, 04:49 PM   #5
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Yamanobori Quote
It you buy it in NYC, you will have to spend the NYC sales tax. 8% I believe. If you live out-of-state and buy from there and send it there, you save lots of money.

But to tactfully state; the internal revenue service is already onto this; which is why any reasonable tax preparer (even H&R Blockhead) will specifically ask everyone about any purchases made online. Expect more fo a crackdown come next years tax return season - which naturally is already in full effect.

As for the camera purchasing question in general - I would personally visit B&H, but please do so unlike I usually do (sans) the 50 pound LowePro DZ <neon yellow>. Because there are not yet any lockers to store anything in and it looks like someone might walk out the front door with about half of the store when carrying a gadget bag that large.
04-20-2012, 05:24 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
any reasonable tax preparer (even H&R Blockhead) will specifically ask everyone about any purchases made online.
Well, they did not ask me, but I don think I had much of any this year.
04-20-2012, 05:25 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zackck Quote
Any other suggestions? What about the Pentax "store" at Willoughby's, is it really that bad?
I know nothing about Willoughby's at all. But how bad can it be? I mean you know what you want, just walk in and tell them. It's not like you need a salesman to help you pick out a camera, you already did that. And if they don't fall all over themselves to sell you anything that costs $10,000 I will be shocked.
04-20-2012, 05:29 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

But to tactfully state; the internal revenue service is already onto this; which is why any reasonable tax preparer (even H&R Blockhead) will specifically ask everyone about any purchases made online. Expect more fo a crackdown come next years tax return season - which naturally is already in full effect.
Wow! I didn't know the Federal Internal Revenue Service / US Department of the Treasury had any authority to look into whether I paid all my State and Local taxes. AFAIK there is no National Sales Tax (yet) in the USA.

Will you please point me to the IRS Publication that describes how to comply so I can start keeping my records for next April?

04-20-2012, 05:51 PM   #9
Forum Member

Actually I think the tax law is a state-by-state issue. My state audits me every three years and collects sales tax, interest, and penalty on anything I buy from out of state - generally this is for pros and I doubt it applies to other folks in most states...But eventually a national sales tax, yes...
04-20-2012, 06:11 PM   #10
Veteran Member

There is no Federal sales tax. How can NY State claim taxes on out of state purchasers?
04-20-2012, 06:22 PM   #11
Forum Member

If you live in a state with this law, when you purchase an item for business from another state you are legally required to pay YOUR state's sales tax on the item - not New York, unless you live in New York and buy from another state (I don't know if New York has this law or not, but a lot of other states do). Perhaps we are talking about two different things?
04-20-2012, 07:24 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jwoodland Quote
If you live in a state with this law, when you purchase an item for business from another state you are legally required to pay YOUR state's sales tax on the item - not New York, unless you live in New York and buy from another state (I don't know if New York has this law or not, but a lot of other states do). Perhaps we are talking about two different things?
Two different things. My state can require my to pay sales tax on out of state purchases, but NY State cannot (as of yet).
04-20-2012, 08:34 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zackck Quote
Thank you all for your help. I'll definitely be visiting Camera Land first thing in the morning.

I can't really order online. I'll be visiting New York for 4 days only, coming from Brasil.

B&H is open on Sunday...
Another idea is to order from Amazon. Depending on the city, they do offer same day delivery. I would email customer service and ask.

04-22-2012, 11:04 AM   #14
Site Supporter

But to tactfully state; the internal revenue service is already onto this; which is why any reasonable tax preparer (even H&R Blockhead) will specifically ask everyone about any purchases made online.
Huh? The IRS is very concerned about what I make, but last thing I heard, they were not particularly interested in how I spent what was left after taxes!

Steve
04-22-2012, 06:56 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Yamanobori Quote
How can NY State claim taxes on out of state purchasers?
I don't know about NY, but in MN (and all other states I am aware of) this 'out of state' sales tax on purchase made in other states, but shipped to you is called 'use tax'. So, in other words, when I ordered my 645D from B&H in NY, B&H was not required to collect and remit sales tax on that sale, but I am responsible for paying 'use tax' on it, being 6.875% in MN. Now, if I have purchased it originally in NY and paid sales tax there, then no, I would not have to pay the MN state 'use tax'.

I don't think it's easy for states to catch you for not paying this, but odds are that if you're cheating the state you are also cheating the IRS and eventually will get audited. Then you will no only have to pay the tax that they calculate you owe them, but interest on it as well! AND they communicate with the state, so likely a state audit could follow. Some states (Montana I think is one) don't have a state sales tax at all.

So...I just pay my taxes honestly to avoid all of the hassle.