Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2012, 04:21 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Disconnected as in came unscrewed, or disconnected as in a malfunction of the strap? If it was a malfunction, I'd send them the bill.
It unscrewed. The floating screw is meant to prevent that happening but clearly it didn't work. It was tightly screwed in by meWithe the 645N I have been using a different brand which I haven't had any issues with. Suspect I will have to suck it up and pay up and chalk it down to experience. But not before they tell me what they are doing for the money

04-25-2012, 04:21 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Some countries (like the US) have product liability laws that make manufacturers responsible for damage resulting from their products.
If you think you could go to court and claim the product was faulty instead of that you did not screw the strap in correctly, more power to you. But I think you will end up with a huge lawyer bill, lots of grief and frustration, and you will still need to foot the repair bill.
04-25-2012, 04:26 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Yamanobori Quote
If you think you could go to court and claim the product was faulty instead of that you did not screw the strap in correctly, more power to you. But I think you will end up with a huge lawyer bill, lots of grief and frustration, and you will still need to foot the repair bill.
I'm very confident that I did screw it in correctly. It had stayed in place for a few days and I had checked it. It had clearly worked itself loose. I can't prove, however that I screwed it in correctly. It would be my word against theirs.
04-25-2012, 06:22 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
I'm very confident that I did screw it in correctly. It had stayed in place for a few days and I had checked it. It had clearly worked itself loose. I can't prove, however that I screwed it in correctly. It would be my word against theirs.
I think this new color scheme is confusing. I was replying to Tom and his idea that consumer protection laws would somehow work and get the strap manufacturer to pickup the tab for the repair. I was commenting that life really does not work that way. I am sure you placed the screw in properly. There are so many forces working that the screw coming unloose is a real issue.

04-26-2012, 01:54 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I think this new color scheme is confusing. I was replying to Tom and his idea that consumer protection laws would somehow work and get the strap manufacturer to pickup the tab for the repair. I was commenting that life really does not work that way. I am sure you placed the screw in properly. There are so many forces working that the screw coming unloose is a real issue.
It's ok I understood that, was just clarifying. In court I wouldn't have a hope of proving that I had indeed screwed it in correctly. The other brand has never been a problem the screw in system 'floats' in a more secure way.
04-26-2012, 05:29 AM   #36

Photos: Albums
My comment about product liability was made before the OP stated the product came unscrewed as opposed to another type of malfunction. I agree, it would be difficult to prove that it was screwed in properly - unless there were more complaints of the same type of failure. Either way it sucks for the OP.
04-26-2012, 06:30 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I will be taking it up with sunsiper themselves, not expecting anything by way of refund, but I think their design needs to be looked at. The other brand, Black rapid, the screw in part is much more secure and I have never had an issue with it on the 645n. The bit that swings around is separated more from the actually part that screws in to the thread. I have tried it with my Canon 5D mk II and III but I find it so much better with tripod thread on the side as it's like carrying a bag. When in the bottom the camera swings around too much. I want the screw in straps to work as when I am walking distances with my camera it is so much more comfortable and means I don't need to put the camera away only to get it out again
04-26-2012, 01:33 PM   #38
Veteran Member

The white balance button doesn't work. The only two things that actually bother me are a) the drive button and b) the cable release. I only shoot in RAW so I couldn't care less about the WB. It was in AWB.

I have no intentions of ever selling the camera. A lot of the paint has rubbed off as I have it on a shoulder strap and it scrapes on my rucsac straps. I suspect to them it looks worse than it is. The cosmetic doesn't bother me in the slightest. If I could use the drive and cable release, I wouldn't even have sent it in.

I have asked for clarification as 25% of what I paid for the camera for a few buttons seems very expensive without further details.
$4600 is 25% of what you paid?

04-26-2012, 01:38 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
$4600 is 25% of what you paid?
where did you get $4600, he showed the tax in and tax out price, so 2557 incl tax (1585 pounds) which sounds about right to me for 25% of the UK price on a 645D

QuoteQuote:
The total they have come up with inc tax is 1585 ($2,557) before tax 1320 ($2,130).
04-26-2012, 02:32 PM   #40
Pentaxian

No they didn't. I bought a sun sniper strap that attaches to the tripod thread and it disconnected and camera hit the floor.
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
you are the second person this month i read about this happening to (the other lost a K5 and 50-135 if i am not mistaken - it may have been a 60-250??)

those strap types are proving to be a bad idea IMO as much as they have a convenience factor. Someone on the other thread adapted it to 3 points of contact using loops attached to the regular strap lugs. still allowed the free movement but protected you against the strap loosening from the tripod thread
I also use a sun-sniper at some occasions. I didn't like the feeling off the screw that attaches to the body and replaced them with BlackRapid FastenR-T1

And that feels comfortable.

I think that people forget the amount of money that is sometimes hanging on just a cheap screw.
04-26-2012, 02:47 PM   #41
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I also use a sun-sniper at some occasions. I didn't like the feeling off the screw that attaches to the body and replaced them with BlackRapid FastenR-T1

And that feels comfortable.

I think that people forget the amount of money that is sometimes hanging on just a cheap screw.

I have far more confidence in the Blackrapid screw. It 'floats' better.
04-26-2012, 02:55 PM   #42
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
where did you get $4600, he showed the tax in and tax out price, so 2557 incl tax (1585 pounds) which sounds about right to me for 25% of the UK price on a 645D
I paid roughly 6,400 for the camera, having bought it in Yodabashi camera in Tokyo, so that's almost exactly 25%. UK price has recently been reduced in Ffordes to under 8k. It was 9k body only in UK. Still haven't heard back from Japan, Johnson's are following it up. For my part if they are replacing the bottom part of the camera body because of scratches and a small dent, I'll tell them not to bother unless it's absolutely necessary. I won't be selling the camera.

Off to Korea next week and disappointed I won't have my 645D with me. Would take the 645N with me but as am using my Canon 5DmkIII, don't want to carry two sets of lenses. Although I am tempted to take along the body and the 45 - 85.....hmmmm
04-26-2012, 03:47 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Sorry, I read the OP too fast and was a bit confused, I thought the first number was the work number and the second the tax number and they both needed to be paid.
04-26-2012, 04:17 PM   #44
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I've just had a think and I'm packing my 645N. Off to Wiesbaden until Sunday then flying to Korea on Monday. I'll take my 33 - 55, 45- 85 and 120 macro with me, as well as my 5D mk III and a few Canon lenses, from 16 - 300mm covered. I never have issues with the airlines, just the security checkpoint in Incheon airport. Going to take some Reala and Kodak Ektra 100 with me as well as a few ilford 125. I know a good lab in Seoul The can develop and scan very cheaply.
04-27-2012, 04:41 AM   #45

Photos: Albums
I will be taking it up with sunsiper themselves, not expecting anything by way of refund, but I think their design needs to be looked at. The other brand, Black rapid, the screw in part is much more secure and I have never had an issue with it on the 645n. The bit that swings around is separated more from the actually part that screws in to the thread. I have tried it with my Canon 5D mk II and III but I find it so much better with tripod thread on the side as it's like carrying a bag. When in the bottom the camera swings around too much. I want the screw in straps to work as when I am walking distances with my camera it is so much more comfortable and means I don't need to put the camera away only to get it out again
Good luck. Be polite but forceful. If applicable (because I don't know the laws where you are at), remind them of their responsibility under product liability. Let us know how it turns out.