Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2012, 05:23 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Original Poster
After just over a week, Pentax Japan have come back to me via Johnsons, Johnsons having chased them. The reason the bill is so high is that they want to change the body of the camera. While I appreciate their wish to make the camera 'as good as new', I'm not bothered about where the paint has worn off or the small dent as I won't be selling the camera. I have asked them to only replace the outer body if it's absolutely necessary to make the camera function to specification

05-03-2012, 11:41 AM   #47
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I've picked up on this thread late, but don't think an insurance claim has been mentioned. Wouldn't this have come under accidental damage or all risks? There's no real difference between it coming unscrewed and dropping off a tripod, or spilling coffee on it or something.
05-03-2012, 04:02 PM   #48
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I looked into insurance with photographic insurance companies and the ones that would insure it wanted an excess of between 15 and 25% of value which which would have made this pretty doubtful in value
05-03-2012, 09:25 PM   #49
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
OK. I use Aaduki to insure, and am pretty sure I have the 645D insured without a massive excess (but I will double check again, in case I've missed it). I don't know whether or not you are a pro photographer, but if not and for future reference you may be able to put it as a named item all risks on household contents insurance.

05-15-2012, 03:45 PM   #50

Costly repairs on things you broke by your own always leave you with the sour question: "what could I have bought with this money on my hands?". This advise of mine might read a bit silly, but I would keep the good/less bad sides in mind: you could have dropped it from the cliffs, it could have been stolen - but yours at least it is not a total loss.

It reminds me of what has happened to my first Pentax 6x7 in 1985, just 3 weeks after I took delivery on the new camera, which I have earned the money for during school holidays. I had the camera mounted on a tripod and wanted to pack up, when the cable release that was still threaded into the trigger got trapped between the tripod legs (there was no quick release, so I rotated the body in order to unsrew it = stupid). As I have been in a hurry, I did not notice it until I heard a nasty sound and saw the damage to the top cover of my beloved camera: the hole trigger assembly had come apart from the cover and hung at the end of the cable release between the tripod legs. The repair did cost me 400 Deutschmark, which was almost 30 percent of the price of the body and would make easily twice the amount in today´s money (someone will know a place where to calculate inflation factors). I have seen a lot of Pentax 6x7 and 67 with triggers slightly bent into the top cover, so I would guess that this is a somewhat fragile section of the camera.

Last edited by Peter Heinemann; 05-15-2012 at 04:32 PM.
06-22-2012, 10:29 AM   #51
Pentaxian

Original Poster
My 645D is due to be in my hands again on Tuesday. They have replaced and repaired what is necessary and replaced the rear cover (not the front) and from £1585 it has come down to £858, so while still steep a saving of nearly 50%
06-22-2012, 10:33 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's a little easier to live with, good to hear it's been resolved for you

06-26-2012, 11:10 AM   #53
Pentaxian

Original Poster
My camera arrived with me in the English lake district at 0730 this morning - glad I got up early! camera functioning well, but my 45 -85 is a bit wobbly and not as sharp as it was. It was on my camera on last impact so suspect I may have to shell out for another FA45 - 85 as it is a fantastically sharp (if heavy) lens.