Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2012, 07:06 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
This also brings back a bit of a question I've been wondering about for a while? Wondering if Pentax has considered a modular design on the medium format line??
The answer is no. Pentax has never done that.

I am not sure the back is cheaper. If the buttons on a back go, you still need to spend the money to get them fixed--the fact you can remove it from the camera is irrelevant. I have seen no data to suggest that cameras with separate backs are cheaper, especially when the back cost more than an entire 645D from the beginning. I also have a Phase One back. And the Mamiya cameras are not really in the same league as the 645D.

BTW, I have had my 645D for a little over a year and almost 6000 exposure. The camera is doing just fine.

04-25-2012, 03:05 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Would you mind if i inquired as to how many pics (perhaps ballpark??) were taken on your 645d before it became somewhat inoperative?

I ask this because I believe I've only seen one other digital version of a Pentax that ran into issues - and it was due to both the amount of use and also the enviroment in which it was operated. Yet I stil highly recommend the Pentax 645d to just about anyone - especially given the price for it's medium format. I also really like the unibody construction - it would be unlikely to find that level of "sealing" in a medium format which had a seperate back.

But this also leads me to question a few items...

I was able to find used 645d's at some rather interesting price levels; from 8k to ironically more than a new one - if that reads correct?? But at that quoted level of repair I'd have to seriously debate having it done.

Unfortunately the decision might be a bit easier with a modular medium format such as; the Mamiya 645DF (in the 22-80mb ranges); or even the Mamiya RZ22.

This also brings back a bit of a question I've been wondering about for a while? Wondering if Pentax has considered a modular design on the medium format line??
Don't know how many actuations personally, but it is in the thousands, as it is well used. The one thing that I want to ensure is that only the impact damage is charged for not any other faults that may have arisen. Difficult one to call that one, and as I go to Korea for a few weeks I need to hear soon what they say (and I've heard nothing for a few days) as they need a signed sheet to be emailed to them to authorise the repair.
04-25-2012, 05:00 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It would be cheaper to buy a hammer and stop using your camera as one.

(Somebody had to say it.)
04-25-2012, 05:25 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
It would be cheaper to buy a hammer and stop using your camera as one.

(Somebody had to say it.)
No they didn't. I bought a sun sniper strap that attaches to the tripod thread and it disconnected and camera hit the floor.

04-25-2012, 05:36 AM   #20
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Yamanobori Quote
The answer is no. Pentax has never done that.

I am not sure the back is cheaper. If the buttons on a back go, you still need to spend the money to get them fixed--the fact you can remove it from the camera is irrelevant. I have seen no data to suggest that cameras with separate backs are cheaper, especially when the back cost more than an entire 645D from the beginning. I also have a Phase One back. And the Mamiya cameras are not really in the same league as the 645D.

BTW, I have had my 645D for a little over a year and almost 6000 exposure. The camera is doing just fine.

Actually Mamiya has some three model variations at about the same price (two cost less; one slightly more) as the Pentax 645d that do have removable backs. The drawback - the sealing of the Mayima as compared to the Pentax. The benefit - is rather major; one can buy a camera for about 10k and then upgrade it to the largest medium format sensor inthe market - both now and later
04-25-2012, 05:55 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
No they didn't. I bought a sun sniper strap that attaches to the tripod thread and it disconnected and camera hit the floor.
you are the second person this month i read about this happening to (the other lost a K5 and 50-135 if i am not mistaken - it may have been a 60-250??)

those strap types are proving to be a bad idea IMO as much as they have a convenience factor. Someone on the other thread adapted it to 3 points of contact using loops attached to the regular strap lugs. still allowed the free movement but protected you against the strap loosening from the tripod thread

BTW the impact ended up requiring sensor replacement in his case according to the shop
04-25-2012, 06:11 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Disconnected as in came unscrewed, or disconnected as in a malfunction of the strap? If it was a malfunction, I'd send them the bill.

04-25-2012, 06:40 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Actually Mamiya has some three model variations at about the same price (two cost less; one slightly more) as the Pentax 645d that do have removable backs. The drawback - the sealing of the Mayima as compared to the Pentax. The benefit - is rather major; one can buy a camera for about 10k and then upgrade it to the largest medium format sensor inthe market - both now and later
Mamiya does not have a 40MP camera/back in the same price range.

So, you think trading in a back and a body for a new back and body will really be different economically than trading in a back for another back? And if you are going to drop $30K+ on a back, the body cost is an issue?

People have been claiming a modular system is cheaper. I have yet to actually see a real advantage in the economics.
04-25-2012, 06:47 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Ouch. Having pounded a camera into the ground once in my life, I can feel your pain. I have seen those straps before and while the idea seems tempting, I could never bring myself to try one. You have my condolences.
04-25-2012, 07:07 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I spoke to Calumet who sold me the strap and they didn't want to know
04-25-2012, 07:11 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I spoke to Calumet who sold me the strap and they didn't want to know
While they are happy to guarantee your satisfaction, they are equally happy to guarantee your dissatisfaction. The problem with accessory manufacturers is they will not take any liability if the design sucks.
04-25-2012, 07:32 AM   #27
Banned

Mamiya does not have a 40MP camera/back in the same price range.

So, you think trading in a back and a body for a new back and body will really be different economically than trading in a back for another back? And if you are going to drop $30K+ on a back, the body cost is an issue?

People have been claiming a modular system is cheaper. I have yet to actually see a real advantage in the economics.

That would be party correct. Yes Mamiya does not currently offer a 40mp modular medium format at that price level, but... One can get the three I mentioned at the same exact price level as a Pentax medium format. Then if I decide later on to upgrade the digital back only to a higher mp count (currently at 80mp, but soon to exceed 100++mp, or better yet - even switch off to a film back

Yes there are still advantages to the Pentax unibody desgin, but...

When one sees Hasselblad, Mamiya, PhaseOne doing it, then...
04-25-2012, 07:36 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That would be party correct. Yes Mamiya does not currently offer a 40mp modular medium format at that price level, but... One can get the three I mentioned at the same exact price level as a Pentax medium format. Then if I decide later on to upgrade the digital back only to a higher mp count (currently at 80mp, but soon to exceed 100++mp, or better yet - even switch off to a film back

no different than film days really. the Pentax series were always designed primarily as filed cameras the rest primarily as studio tools

Pentax was "different" even then

the Leica S2 is closer in concept to the Pentax but it's insanely priced (like most leica) with mostly vapourware lenses
04-25-2012, 08:24 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Phase One and Leaf did this because they do not make cameras and used existing platforms to sell their backs. Hasselblad did move to an integrated body design. Leica has an integrated body design.

You missed my point. You really are not going to be worse off if you upgrade the body at the same time as the back. And if you have had the camera for some time, you will most likely upgrade to a newer body. Also, I hope the back manufacturers allow you to use a film back. The latest Mamiya body does not take a film back. Neither does Hasselblad. I would also look into other body/back compatibility as the bodies change to meet changes in back development and not all legacy issues are brought up to date. As far as shooting film with Pentax, you can also buy a 645 film body very cheaply.

But if I were you, you should go to Phase/Leaf system. It seems like the best choice given your reasoning. You seem to like the idea of a modular system.
04-25-2012, 03:57 PM   #30
Veteran Member

While they are happy to guarantee your satisfaction, they are equally happy to guarantee your dissatisfaction. The problem with accessory manufacturers is they will not take any liability if the design sucks.
Some countries (like the US) have product liability laws that make manufacturers responsible for damage resulting from their products.