Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2012, 07:34 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Does this seem like a fair estimate to you?

My 645D was involved in one or two knocks and a few buttons don't work and the cable release section wasn't acknowledging a cable release. Altogether the drive, white balance and cable release don't function. The camera is in Tokyo at the moment and they have inspected the camera. The report is as follows:

INSPECTED IN JAPAN
CLEAN CCD
REPAIRS TO WHITE BALANCE
REPAIR/REPLACE DRIVE MODE BUTTON
REPAIR/REPLACE EXTERNAL RELEASE
CHECK/ADJUST CCD
REPLACE BOTTOM COVER
GENERAL CHECK AND TEST

The total they have come up with inc tax is £1585 ($2,557) before tax £1320 ($2,130).

I have asked them to clarify what they are doing as this appears expensive for what they are doing.

What do you think?

04-24-2012, 07:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
seems high but without more detail on what is involved (labour, parts etc) it's hard to say.
I'd ask for a more detailed breakdown of the cost involved if you think it's too high, they should be able to provide it
04-24-2012, 08:13 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I would go ahead and get it done, as you won't even be able to sell the camera unless you get it fixed!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-24-2012, 08:22 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Seems expensive to me.

What is, "REPAIRS TO WHITE BALANCE"?

04-24-2012, 08:30 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Seems expensive to me.

What is, "REPAIRS TO WHITE BALANCE"?
The white balance button doesn't work. The only two things that actually bother me are a) the drive button and b) the cable release. I only shoot in RAW so I couldn't care less about the WB. It was in AWB.

I have no intentions of ever selling the camera. A lot of the paint has rubbed off as I have it on a shoulder strap and it scrapes on my rucsac straps. I suspect to them it looks worse than it is. The cosmetic doesn't bother me in the slightest. If I could use the drive and cable release, I wouldn't even have sent it in.

I have asked for clarification as 25% of what I paid for the camera for a few buttons seems very expensive without further details.
04-24-2012, 10:07 AM   #6
Banned

Photos: Albums
I'll be researching this one a bit further to find out some of the parts prices.

But also noting; that the labor rate for any medium format repair is almost always in excess of some one hundred dollars per hour.

But it's also quite rare to see any non major repair that costs that much if the camera is still being produced. Given the twenty five percent issue - now one is almost to the halfway point of being able to buy a used 645d in above average condition
04-24-2012, 10:58 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
I'll be researching this one a bit further to find out some of the parts prices.

But also noting; that the labor rate for any medium format repair is almost always in excess of some one hundred dollars per hour.

But it's also quite rare to see any non major repair that costs that much if the camera is still being produced. Given the twenty five percent issue - now one is almost to the halfway point of being able to buy a used 645d in above average condition
I agree, that's why I've asked for further details. If the cable release worked I would continue using the camera. It works just fine handheld but without being able to put it on timed release or into remote mode or be able to use a cable, tripod use is limited. I use the 2 second timer more than cable. There is dust on the sensor which Pentax Europe couldn't give me correct advice for an approved method of cleaning it.

04-24-2012, 10:58 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by itshimitis Quote
The white balance button doesn't work. The only two things that actually bother me are a) the drive button and b) the cable release. I only shoot in RAW so I couldn't care less about the WB. It was in AWB.

I have no intentions of ever selling the camera. A lot of the paint has rubbed off as I have it on a shoulder strap and it scrapes on my rucsac straps. I suspect to them it looks worse than it is. The cosmetic doesn't bother me in the slightest. If I could use the drive and cable release, I wouldn't even have sent it in.

I have asked for clarification as 25% of what I paid for the camera for a few buttons seems very expensive without further details.
Thanks for the clarification.

I'm thinking the Pentax repair depot's thought process is this: "Dude dropped $10k on a 645D, he can afford a $2k+ repair bill."
04-24-2012, 11:23 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Thanks for the clarification.

I'm thinking the Pentax repair depot's thought process is this: "Dude dropped $10k on a 645D, he can afford a $2k+ repair bill."
I can afford to, but doesn't mean I will without good reason. If necessary I'll tell them to fix the cable release and the drive button and leave the rest. I'm certainly not going to agree to such a bill on the basis of such flimsy explanation.
04-24-2012, 12:09 PM   #10
Pentaxian

As you're UK based try Johnson's Photopia for another estimate. They're Pentax UK official repairers.
04-24-2012, 02:03 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
As you're UK based try Johnson's Photopia for another estimate. They're Pentax UK official repairers.
It was sent to Japan by Johnson's who can't repair 645D's
04-24-2012, 03:43 PM   #12

WOW! That is expensive. For that kind of money you could buy a mint condition P645N with 75mm FA lens plus at least a couple of other FA lenses and maybe leave enough money for film and processing many pics.

It would appear that digital comes at a price when purchased then at a price when needing repair. How old is the camera, by the way?

asahi jock
04-24-2012, 04:04 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I already have the 645N, and a very good camera it is too
04-24-2012, 05:42 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For a weather sealed body, it might be high, but not outrageous, especially in Japan. This is why most manufacturers replace a camera under warranty rather than fix it.
04-24-2012, 06:30 PM   #15
Banned

Photos: Albums
Would you mind if i inquired as to how many pics (perhaps ballpark??) were taken on your 645d before it became somewhat inoperative?

I ask this because I believe I've only seen one other digital version of a Pentax that ran into issues - and it was due to both the amount of use and also the enviroment in which it was operated. Yet I stil highly recommend the Pentax 645d to just about anyone - especially given the price for it's medium format. I also really like the unibody construction - it would be unlikely to find that level of "sealing" in a medium format which had a seperate back.

But this also leads me to question a few items...

I was able to find used 645d's at some rather interesting price levels; from 8k to ironically more than a new one - if that reads correct?? But at that quoted level of repair I'd have to seriously debate having it done.

Unfortunately the decision might be a bit easier with a modular medium format such as; the Mamiya 645DF (in the 22-80mb ranges); or even the Mamiya RZ22.

This also brings back a bit of a question I've been wondering about for a while? Wondering if Pentax has considered a modular design on the medium format line??