Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-01-2012, 10:41 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Reasonable price for Pentax 67II?

Hi all,

what is the reasonable price for a Pentax 67II and single lens? What are the necessary things I need to have as well to start?
I learned that a meter prism, and Mirror Lock Up modification is important to have, others?

If I buy a system (1 body + many lenses), will I be able to sell the lenses? --- I mean, how popular are they in the 2nd hand market?

Much thanks!
Lee

05-01-2012, 11:34 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Note that 67II comes standard with mirror lock-up. The modification for lock up was only needed on the early version 67. My 67II kit is currently posted in the marketplace and you will get first dibs on the camera body in a week and a half when I sell the kit in parts--if you are still interested.

For comparisons and research, what you are looking for is thePentax 67II with AE Finder. Trying to shop it based on this lens or that lens etc. is pretty difficult. Some lenses are worth thousands of dollars and others are barely worth a hundred. Condition is also important as is age (late lenses are more desired on the used market--better coatings, better rubber rings, etc).

On this forum, most folks try to sell stuff in the marketplace for way too close to new prices. Unless it's a special item with extra "rareness" value I generally figure 50% of what it sold for new, and when the kit gets busted into parts (presuming nobody buys the whole kit first) the items will be sold for 50% of new price...in most cases...

I think I paid $2150 for the 67II and AE Finder when I bought it new. I religiously sent it to Pentax for tune-ups, the most recent was in 2009 and it has barely been used since. My equipment is in fantastic shape and I sell for a bit below market and offer a strong guarantee. So my stuff tends to sell pretty well. Regarding the used market for lenses...Never sold 67 lenses before, but since posting the kit a few days ago, I have folks in line waiting to take the Zoerk unit and the 45mm super wide angle. If you (or anyone else) wants to take the kit, I'll refer those wanting individual items to you.

I realize "The Kit" is way more than you intend to spend, so I'm not as much "pitching" you as giving you details to help you make a reasoned decision. The last 67II I sold to a forum member was for $1100 about 3 years ago. This one will go for a similar price and includes several accessories--grid screen, wooden hotshoe grip, fitted RRS quick release tripod plate.
05-01-2012, 11:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the info, I saw your posting too Ron.
~$800-1000 for a one/two lens kit (reasonably fast normal FL, or + portrait lens) is my 'budget'.

I don't want to deal with the hassle of selling lenses, I rather enjoy taking pictures.
I also prefer to buy from PF member than ebay and local craiglist...so if something really nice turn up (like I can use the camera right away without having to worry if it is my problem or the camera problem if the photo turn out bad), I am willing to stretch a bit.

Lee

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
Note that 67II comes standard with mirror lock-up. The modification for lock up was only needed on the early version 67. My 67II kit is currently posted in the marketplace and you will get first dibs on the camera body in a week and a half when I sell the kit in parts--if you are still interested.

For comparisons and research, what you are looking for is thePentax 67II with AE Finder. Trying to shop it based on this lens or that lens etc. is pretty difficult. Some lenses are worth thousands of dollars and others are barely worth a hundred. Condition is also important as is age (late lenses are more desired on the used market--better coatings, better rubber rings, etc).

On this forum, most folks try to sell stuff in the marketplace for way too close to new prices. Unless it's a special item with extra "rareness" value I generally figure 50% of what it sold for new, and when the kit gets busted into parts (presuming nobody buys the whole kit first) the items will be sold for 50% of new price...in most cases...

I think I paid $2150 for the 67II and AE Finder when I bought it new. I religiously sent it to Pentax for tune-ups, the most recent was in 2009 and it has barely been used since. My equipment is in fantastic shape and I sell for a bit below market and offer a strong guarantee. So my stuff tends to sell pretty well. Regarding the used market for lenses...Never sold 67 lenses before, but since posting the kit a few days ago, I have folks in line waiting to take the Zoerk unit and the 45mm super wide angle. If you (or anyone else) wants to take the kit, I'll refer those wanting individual items to you.

I realize "The Kit" is way more than you intend to spend, so I'm not as much "pitching" you as giving you details to help you make a reasoned decision. The last 67II I sold to a forum member was for $1100 about 3 years ago. This one will go for a similar price and includes several accessories--grid screen, wooden hotshoe grip, fitted RRS quick release tripod plate.
05-01-2012, 01:29 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You may be mixing up the models. It will be fairly easy to get a 67 body with mirror lock up and an early model lens or two for your budget. The odds of finding an excellent condition 67II body alone without a lens for that budget is a steep order to fill.
Good luck with your search!

05-01-2012, 01:40 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I agree with Ron on finding just the body in excellent condition for that price.
I also agree that it sounds like there is a model mix up. The 67II is the latest version and quite an advanced film camera.
The earlier versions are usually referred to as "6x7", "6X7 MLU" (a 6x7 with mirror lock up ability), or "67". The "67II" is a different beast and a lovely one at that.
05-01-2012, 09:02 PM   #6
Pentaxian

The 67 (marked that way on the body) is a newer model than 6x7 (also marked that way on the body). The 67 is the same as a 6x7 with MLU except for minor changes in internal parts and an appearance change with the WLF and Prism going from a textured logo to a smooth glossy look with just the word "Pentax". And at that time the lenses went through a cosmetic change also with 67 marked on the lens instead of 6x7 plus a few lenses had an optical change.

My 67 and 6x7 MLU Generations Outfitted With A WLF

Last edited by tuco; 08-01-2013 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Fix link
05-02-2012, 09:51 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies....

So, what is the real benefit of getting a 67II than a 67?

05-02-2012, 10:21 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Automated metering with AE Finder...allows for Aperture Priority automation
Multi-segment metering plus spot and center weighted metering
LCD displays for iso and frames
body ergonomics--rubberized with contoured grip area
TTL flash capability and synch with modern flashes
brighter viewfinder and better viewfinder screens
Modern shutter speeds (tied to auto metering)
hotshoe grip available with synch cord for on camera flash

There's probably lots more, but those are the things that immediately come to mind.
05-02-2012, 10:31 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

I believe you can also do double exposures without needing the 90mm LS lens on the 67II. And has quick-changing focus screens which is the reason for brighter view finder since its prism has less glass (and lighter) than the older ones. You can put 67II focus screens in the 67 and 6x7 too if you really wanted to and they fit after you take them out of the plastic frame.

The 67II is a more advanced camera than the previous generations in terms of handheld shots. Otherwise, with a WLF (100% view and good for critical focus) and a Pentax one-degree spot meter ( the analog equivalent of a histogram on digital but it's not a unit-less graph - it actually tells you to how many stops above middle gray your highlights are for example) you'd be shooting pretty much the same on a tripod. Arguably even more accurate metering when you use a one-degree with either camera.

Last edited by tuco; 05-02-2012 at 11:37 AM.
05-03-2012, 06:50 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Ron and tuco.
For beginner, looks like 67II will be better.