Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2012, 04:53 AM   #1

Pentax and Leica are working on a second generation of MF cameras

From the well know rumor site

QuoteOriginally posted by rumor site:
The sensor inside the Pentax 645D camera ($9,995) was initially produced by Kodak, but in 2011 they sold the Image Sensor Solutions (ISS) business to Platinum Equity. The rumor is that those medium format sensors are not longer in production and Pentax is working on a second generation of the 645D camera. It seems that Leica is having similar issues and will be using a new sensor from an European semiconductor manufacturer in their upcoming S3 camera.
Source of the rumor is a notice in a french site named lesnumeriques.com about a new medium format CMOS sensor produced by the European semiconductors manufacturer STMicroelectronics

Photo Rumors Rumor: Leica S3 with new sensor at Photokina | Leica News & Rumors

05-02-2012, 09:15 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
So we are looking at a 645DII in 1-2yrs with the rate Pentax moves. Hopefully they will be able to source a bit larger sensor to go in it, probably not full frame yet (I don't think even Phase or Leaf has made it to FF 645 with sensors yet?). I don't think Ricoh will kill the 645 format and if they can't source the same Kodak sensor from the new owners they will need to source a new sensor...

The Leica S3 will likely take a big bump in resolution to compete against the Nikon D800 as their lenses will easily handle additional pixels. Wouldn't it be great if they could make a round sensor so you could choose how to crop the image from the image circle (choose your aspect ratio and vertical/horizontal).

Hope this all pans out for Pentax. Not that I will be looking to upgrade my 645D unless it is CMOS and has live view.

Hope we also see the lenses on the roadmap panning out. Would love a sealed version of the 45-85 (tired of my plastic bag method).
05-02-2012, 09:29 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting, It was pretty much a given this was coming though. The fact that Leica needs to source a sensor for this years says to me so does Pentax. the Pentax outsells the leica dramatically so they will need sensors at least as soon as leica.

the link to the leica rumours actually made me aware of the rumoured M series b/w sensor model. Now that is a wildly cool idea (no LCD screen either. apparently it is ready for production and staff have been trained on it.)
I can see this having a cult following (If i made dentist level incomes i'd be part of the cult )
05-02-2012, 09:50 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by atlnq9 Quote
Would love a sealed version of the 45-85 (tired of my plastic bag method).
First I hesitated reading this sentence - than second I saw "Swakopmund"; and understood .

back to the topic - I think it is a rumor . If you read the text - "Leica" is an interpretation by the rumor site.
IMHO there are more "constructeurs allemandes de renom"t; which can use a MF sensor
At PK 2012 we know more

QuoteQuote:
Des gyroscopes, des capteurs photo pour smartphones... et bientôt pour réflex Si l'activité processeur a vocation à se développer, ST est en revanche déjà un acteur de premier plan en matière de capteurs, photo notamment, dans les mobiles.

L'aventure photo se poursuivra sans doute sur la Photokina :"un constructeur allemand de renom";, Leica, devrait y annoncer un nouveau reflex – moyen format ? – équipé d'un capteur géant, CMOS, signé ST. À suivre

guuurgeltranslate:

The adventure picture is likely to continue on Photokina: "a renowned German manufacturer", Leica, is expected to announce a new SLR camera - medium format? - With a giant sensor, CMOS, signed ST. To be continued ......

STMicroelectronics : le géant invisible

05-02-2012, 10:55 AM   #5
Pentaxian

MFD cameras really can't hang around at 40MP these days.
05-02-2012, 11:06 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by veraikon Quote
First I hesitated reading this sentence - than second I saw "Swakopmund"; and understood .
Hah, yeah. If I was in the States I could care less. It isn't to protect against rain... Rare to find somebody who has even heard of Namibia let alone Swakopmund... Have you been here I take it?
05-02-2012, 11:08 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

60-80 will be the minimum for them. I expect a 100mp will appear this year
05-02-2012, 05:16 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Leaf just introduce a new line of backs. Included, a 40MP back. Personally, I don't need more pixels. It just fills up my hard drives and becomes slow to process. Going to 60MP adds 50% to the file size while increasing resolving power by only 22%. It is just diminishing returns.

05-02-2012, 05:18 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Yamanobori Quote
Leaf just introduce a new line of backs. Included, a 40MP back. Personally, I don't need more pixels. It just fills up my hard drives and becomes slow to process. Going to 60MP adds 50% to the file size while increasing resolving power by only 22%. It is just diminishing returns.
I'm sure leaf kept the 40 to keep a price point close to the 645d which really walloped their bottom end sales

I'm not overly impressed with the new leaf backs, pretty much the same as the old leaf back with $250 of parts added for $8000 extra at the high end
05-02-2012, 05:40 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I'm sure leaf kept the 40 to keep a price point close to the 645d which really walloped their bottom end sales
The new 40MP back is $20K. Not even in the same country club...
05-02-2012, 07:05 PM   #11

The new 40MP back is $20K. Not even in the same country club...

Right. The Leaf/Mamiya kit that's close in price to the 645D is a 22MP.
05-02-2012, 10:36 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Same for me, + i wont like to put more K€ in the business, for the potential others photographic 645DII "improvements" that i foresee as negligible.