Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2012, 12:35 PM   #1

67 II 400mm f4 lens mounting issue

Hello, I've just received a 400mm f4 lens in the mail, and I can't get it to mount on my 67 II. It looks like there's a locking ring of sorts on the lens, and it's stuck. The camera will line up with the lens and insert, but not twist. Also, the rear lens cap won't twist or stay on, which is why I think there's a problem with the lens.

Thanks,
Matt

05-02-2012, 12:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like you have the outer bayonet mounting lens which means that the locking ring has to unscrew a couple turns then slip the lens onto the camera mount and twist the locking ring again to tighten it onto the camera. In this case the lens slips over the mount on the camera instead of the lens sliping into the mount on the camera. If you can't get the ring on the lens to loosen then you may want to mount it on a tripod to give yourself a little more leverage and hopefully hold the lens so it does not get dropped.
05-02-2012, 01:09 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks, that's exactly it, except the ring (on the lens) is stuck. REALLY stuck. It's in the open position, so that the camera can slip into the open slot, but then it won't twist. If I set the lens face down, on its lens cap and vertical, do you know which way should the ring turn? Is there any quick fix for a stuck ring?
05-03-2012, 10:54 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Welcome to the outer bay club. There are not many of us out here. It sounds like it is stuck in the "screwed in" position. Turn the ring counterclockwise to loosen. You might need another person to hold the lens body or use a tripod as was mentioned above. If that fails, try a large spanner wrench with padding so as not to scratch the ring.

05-03-2012, 10:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would try an oil filter wrench with the flexi plastic strip that wraps around the oil filter or in this case the mount ring on the lens. Have someone else hold the lens cause it sounds like a two person job.
In the end threads are threads so maybe a very light application of some oil would get the threads started. I don't suggest that lightly cause I know it could get messy and cause some other problems but it may be worth it to you to try.